CCFC New Statement. (1 Viewer)

bradwellskyblues

in a way sisu winning is a bigger problem as it will drag on for a least another year or so. suspect this statement is damage limitation in that scenario

Nick

Administrator
Better then the previous years at least to state the intention early.

Well timed too of course, get it in first.

chiefdave

Can't really argue with anything in that.

Its common practice in the business world to put aside legal issues being fought at a higher level to get on with the day to day business. Samsung and Apple being a very high profile current example.

Anyone who thinks Dave Boddy or anyone involved in the day to day running of the club has the slightest say in the legal action is out of their mind.

Is it possible that the legal teams know anything either way? Is it possible that the JR has traction and knowing it will take months to years to come to a conclusion want to make Wasps the reason for any failed negotiation?

I'm trying to read too much into it I think..

D

Deleted member 4439

Its common practice in the business world to put aside legal issues being fought at a higher level to get on with the day to day business. Samsung and Apple being a very high profile current example.

Anyone who thinks Dave Boddy or anyone involved in the day to day running of the club has the slightest say in the legal action is out of their mind.

True, but Wasps might have something to say about the statement: "This is not about our Owners and not about Court Cases"

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Is it possible that the legal teams know anything either way? Is it possible that the JR has traction and knowing it will take months to years to come to a conclusion want to make Wasps the reason for any failed negotiation?

I'm trying to read too much into it I think..[/QUOTE
The way the club are trying to distance themselves from SISU won't wash try as they might(and want too) Wasps made it clear when the last deal was done if the legal side of things are still going on forget about playing thoughts . So no way can Wasps be seen to be the reason and who can blame them.

John_Silletts_Nose

I'm trying to read too much into it I think..
I thought the same. It is unlike the club to make statements before a judgement was given down, so it may be that they are pre-empting the announcement, which they know, since the club are bringing the legal case to the court.
If Wasps stick to their statement about not negotiating while legal issues exist then it may drive things to a faster resolution.
There are no winners in this dispute, just a matter of how much is lost by the parties involved.

The football club needs to finish this case so everyone can move on and can focus on football.

old_wheat

I am sure I this statement has been put out as a negotiation tactic from CCFC to get a better deal on the rent. I strongly suspect that Wasps want an increase on the 100,000 per year deal which they have previously indicated is very low. CCFC will be trying to make Wasps seem the bad guys when negotiations fail.

When the last agreement was made for staying at the Ricoh. Wasps said this

Nick Eastwood said the move had not been made on commercial grounds.

He said: “The agreement which was put in place to allow the football club to return to the city is in its last season. We fully appreciate the importance to Sky Blues supporters of their club playing in their home city, so we have agreed to a one-year extension with the football club.

“CCFC have on numerous occasions expressed their wish to move to a stadium they own, but with those plans not yet realised this agreement will give the Sky Blues an extra year to secure a new home.

“This is certainly not a commercially-driven decision, and there are plenty of financial and other arguments for us not continuing with any agreement, but we do not wish to see the football club disadvantaged.

“We understand the importance to supporters and the city itself of having Coventry City playing in Coventry. That has been at the forefront of our thinking, despite the significant distraction of the current legal proceedings.

This clearly states that the deal was not financially very attractive to Wasps but they concluded the deal as a PR move as to not upset the local community...

With CCFC now promoted and now seemingly on better financial footing having spent large amount of money on transfers. I would be very suprised if Wasps were not asking for an increase in rent. To which CCFC probably said no and consequently putting out this statement to force Wasps hand and prevent a bad PR.

Just my take from reading between the lines.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

The way the statement reads you would think everything was great just normal negotiations to go through . Wasps will say NO you want us to pay £30 million more and you want to do deal with us , even if everything was hunky dory Wasps would want more money this time round rightly so . Will we pay? Sorry Old Wheat typing didn't see your post

Sky Blue Harry H

The way the statement reads you would think everything was great just normal negotiations to go through . Wasps will say NO you want us to pay £30 million more and you want to do deal with us , even if everything was hunky dory Wasps would want more money this time round rightly so . Will we pay? Sorry Old Wheat typing didn't see your post

If Wasps whack the rent of, will there be a direct correlation to MR's playing budget/players being sold. You'd have to think so if we are to 'break even'/ Of course, some of the management 'charges' could be reduced - 'eh SISU?

Captain Dart

Lets see how this reads tomorrow after the court judgement.

PS I note that the statement says "The Ricoh Arena is currently the only suitable option available for the club to play home matches in Coventry." As if there might eventually be an alternative.

Last edited:

Magwitch

I have serious doubts Wasps will back down on their drop the legals or else threat, why would they ? Some say they need the money In thegreat scheme of things don’t think £100k is that much of a loss to be honest. Can’t help thinking this we want a deal offer knowing the Wasp ultimatum is just a cry of poor us.

wingy

If this is the one
People have been speculating about a big announcement this month since the start of the season.

Colin Steins Smile

Fortunately, the day to day operations of the club is remote from the legal action.

I can't help but think that this statement is aimed at increasing the pressure on Wasps to back track on their position of not negotiating with the club, whilst legal action is being pursued. Basic economics suggest Wasps need all streams of revenue, so surely a deal will be made.

Ashdown

Sickening SISU bastards. Blatantly, after all they've done and are still doing, trying to lay off blame elsewhere ! Fucking hate them and their games. Surely the Coventry public will know who ultimately is to blame if the club are made homeless.

peace ndlovu

Sickening SISU bastards. Blatantly, after all they've done and are still doing, trying to lay off blame elsewhere ! Fucking hate them and their games. Surely the Coventry public will know who ultimately is to blame if the club are made homeless.
I don't think many people will dispute that SISU (and their predecessors) have to take a huge share of responsibility for this mess. But if the Coventry public ignore the role that the arseholes at the City Council have played, then they are deluding themselves.

Esoterica

I think the statement is more aimed at getting Wasps to talk than anything else at this stage. Read to me like they'd written to Wasps 2 weeks ago and heard nothing back so have used this to publicly try to force a response.

Sky Blue Pete

I don't think many people will dispute that SISU (and their predecessors) have to take a huge share of responsibility for this mess. But if the Coventry public ignore the role that the arseholes at the City Council have played, then they are deluding themselves.
Insane

WhaleOilBeefHooked

This statement makes me think we’re not getting a deal.
Kind of agree.

But like the statement above, if the Wasps didn't do a deal they'll be ensuring CCFCs place in the wilderness - they'd be hated in the very city they're somehow calling home. It's bad PR and what they can do without.

I think a deal will be struck, but I certainly don't think it will be on favourable terms to the football club :(

The whole thing is a shower of shit.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
Question is if we dont get a deal what will the clubs owners do what options are there? this magical stadium in fairyland isnt going to happen so its either ground share again or sell up.

Colin Steins Smile

Kind of agree.

But like the statement above, if the Wasps didn't do a deal they'll be ensuring CCFCs place in the wilderness - they'd be hated in the very city they're somehow calling home. It's bad PR and what they can do without.

I think a deal will be struck, but I certainly don't think it will be on favourable terms to the football club :(

The whole thing is a shower of shit.
This situation might have reached the point that Wasps are totally sick of our owners and the negative PR surrounding the legal cases and may have come to the view to cut ties and have accept the short term negative news rather than "X" more years of litigation.

ccfctommy

Another statement released. They should call us Statement FC.

There still going with the 'club and the owners are totally different things' bollocks.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Just FYI

Coventry City Football Club acknowledges the judgement given in the Court of Appeal this morning, concerning the Court Case involving the owners of the club Sisu, Wasps and Coventry City Council.

The decision, whoever's ‘favour’ it went in, would not and does not alter the situation as described in our statement made last night.

Coventry City Football Club reaffirms its intention to play at the Ricoh Arena beyond the end of this season and to work with the stadium owners Wasps to achieve a deal to make this happen, securing the immediate future of the club.

As has been stated previously, the Football Club and its staff continue to fully focus on the day-to-day running of the club, and we have no direct involvement in the court case.

The club can also confirm again that we are not liable for any costs in relation to this court case, and that all costs are incurred by the club’s owners.

chiefdave

Thing is buying the stadium in the first place and the damage that caused to the long term future of CCFC meant that should have had the same outcome you describe but as shown in documents seen in the various legal proceedings a PR campaign was undertaken, with the help of the Telegraph, and ensured the spotlight stayed on SISU.

You can see in the last few days the groundwork being laid for a similar campaign to ensure they don't get the blame if and when they kick us out.
Question is if we dont get a deal what will the clubs owners do what options are there?
We move away or cease to exist. Thousands of people, with no sense of irony, will march through the city streets shouting about how disgraceful it is to have a club playing in a city other than the one in traditionally resides in.
There still going with the 'club and the owners are totally different things' bollocks.
Its true isn't it? Or are we to believe Dave Boddy is pushing the legal action and Joy is sorting out the day to day running of the club?

Users who are viewing this thread