CCFC Ladies (1 Viewer)

edgy

A spin off from the other thread.

What's the history here. I understand the Ladies are not really under the CCFC umbrella. And Cov Utd seem to have become the leading ladies team in Cov.

Why?

Legia Sky Blue

As far as I recall when we moved to Northampton SISU lost interest in the ladies team, although I think still retained an interest at developmental level. Some of the Coventry United movers & shakers were in senior positions with CCFC ladies (and the Sky Blue Trust I think) and moved the ladies team under their umbrella.

Simply put Coventry United were CCFC ladies so are obviously the leading ladies team in Cov. At one time Copsewood got uncomfortably close though, getting promoted through the leagues into the same league, and even beat them a couple of times. Unfortunately for them they couldn't meet the extra funding/ stadium requirements made by the FA where they have tried to replicate the men's leagues with big name teams, resulting in teams with no history in women's football like Man United being parachuted in while traditional teams like Doncaster Belles fall by the wayside.

Otis

As far as I recall when we moved to Northampton SISU lost interest in the ladies team, although I think still retained an interest at developmental level. Some of the Coventry United movers & shakers were in senior positions with CCFC ladies (and the Sky Blue Trust I think) and moved the ladies team under their umbrella.

Simply put Coventry United were CCFC ladies so are obviously the leading ladies team in Cov. At one time Copsewood got uncomfortably close though, getting promoted through the leagues into the same league, and even beat them a couple of times. Unfortunately for them they couldn't meet the extra funding/ stadium requirements made by the FA where they have tried to replicate the men's leagues with big name teams, resulting in teams with no history in women's football like Man United being parachuted in while traditional teams like Doncaster Belles fall by the wayside.
The Doncaster Belles could never hold a candle to the Sky Blue Belles though.

Legia Sky Blue

The Doncaster Belles could never hold a candle to the Sky Blue Belles though.

Were you a fan? Always felt a little unnerved by them - no idea how old they actually were, but they seemed far too young to be doing the dances they were performing (or trying to in some cases) in front of football crowds :eek:

Otis

Were you a fan? Always felt a little unnerved by them - no idea how old they actually were, but they seemed far too young to be doing the dances they were performing (or trying to in some cases) in front of football crowds :eek:
Oh. I always thought many of them were too old?

Maybe I need to get my eyes tested. I always used to just feel sorry for them, so didn't even watch to be honest.

letsallsingtogether

City didnt want them and they had nowhere to play so went under the United umbrella.

They then went through a sticky patch with no money and were a day away from folding until the owner of United bailed them out.

Nick

Administrator
City didnt want them and they had nowhere to play so went under the United umbrella.

They then went through a sticky patch with no money and were a day away from folding until the owner of United bailed them out.
Probably didn't help that they had your mates in charge.

letsallsingtogether

Probably didn't help that they had your mates in charge.
What mates are those?

Dont know anyone involved with the Ladies, and if I did and that was a reason then that makes it even more sad, embarrassing and vindictive for our owners.

Skybluesince82

CCFC ladies applied to be in the semi-professional ranks in women’s football and met with the FA to discuss their business plan. There were CCFC people involved in that who were supportive.
The FA knocked back the application because the business plan basically had ‘whack an extra quid on men’s tickets’ to cover the extra funding needed. Although some involved on the women’s side at the time blamed CCFC, it was an FA decision on a fag packet business plan.

CCFC couldn’t provide the extra funding - think it was whilst we were in Northampton and admin was a threat.

Shortly after Cov Utd was set up against rhe backdrop of the potential demise of CCFC and the egos there said ‘we’ll fund it’ and decided they were going to take the history of CCFC ladies with them… which to me is more about the egos and people, rather than the club. It’s like MK Dons claiming they won the FA cup in 1988.

Sick Boy

They were the ones during the early-mid 90s, weren’t they?

slowpoke

In the current era female football has become THE growth sport in the country, its not really for me but I did watch and enjoyed playing the England games though , the young girls love it, my ten year old granddaughter now a Sky Blue season ticket holder and well into footie sparked by the England success in the summer I’m sure it could take off at the CBS.

chiefdave

CCFC couldn’t provide the extra funding - think it was whilst we were in Northampton and admin was a threat.
Women's football loses money, to be fair mens does as well. But the point is would anyone on here be happy if we thought Robins budget was being cut to fund a CCFC Women's team?

Its one of those things that's a nice idea until we come up against the reality of having owners who don't put money into the club

Grendel

Weaponising the team as a reason for protest and boycotting probably wasn’t the best especially as the one starting the discussion had a vested interest in the team

Users who are viewing this thread