CCFC - Graveyard For Strikers (1 Viewer)

Yet again we are having a season whereby already goals are not forthcoming and straws only to grasp.

But this season is not unique by any means because despite the hype of free scoring forwards being available the ones we have purchased, say since 2002/2003 until 2010/2011, as an example makes interestig analysis.

Below in chronological order since 2002/2003 and including 2010/2011 are the numerous strikers we have bought/loaned that have had previous reputations as competent goalscorers:

Julian Jochamin
Lee Hughes
Lee Mills
Andy Morrell
Patrick Suffo
Dele Adebola
Stern John
James Scowcroft
Leon MKenzie
Kevin Kyle
Leon Best
Robbie Simpson
Clinton Morrison
Freddie Eastwood

Obviously not all were world beaters at previous clubs but some were prolific scorers and some did get into double figures occasionally.

What happens then when they join us is that the the CCFC curse kicks in and practically all suffer a marked decline in their goalscoring prowess whillst wearing the Sky Blue shirt.

One or two did give us hope but only temporarily ie Lee Hughes, Big Dele, Leon McKenzie, Clinton Morrison etc but then they dipped back into mediocrity.

Only Gary McSheffrey and Marlon King of recent times have demonstrated true goal scoring potential,

What on earth can be the reason for this as we have had a succession of different managers with different styles of play and tactics but it's the same old story season after season.

You only have to look at the many games we have lost by one goal which clearly illustrates the problem.

Thoughts

PUSB

wingy

One point is that only 50%were used fully as strikers the rest expected to play out of position most of the time ,we're not the most supportive of fans as indicated by the rush to judge Cody

Otis

Good point.

Julian Jochamin
Lee Hughes
Lee Mills
Andy Morrell - Wing
Patrick Suffo
Dele Adebola
Stern John
James Scowcroft - Wing
Leon McKenzie - Wing
Kevin Kyle
Leon Best
Robbie Simpson - Wing
Clinton Morrison
Freddie Eastwood - Wing or anywhere else but striker

I agree Wingy and a good example of that is Andy Morrell, Robbie Simpson, Freddie and Leon McKenzie never really given the chance to fulfill their potential whilst playing on the flanks.

So why do managers/coaches adopt this tactic - doesn't make footballing sense at all to me.

PUSB

fellatio_Martinez

Why would any of the good strikers want come to this club?

Crap pay, library for a stadium and zero chance of any medals. Ooh, we're a catch.

pusbccfc

Missed out mifsud, another player that was ruined by being played on the wing.
I think its been the wing that's been the problem, we have not had pace for a long long time.
We never seem to produce a decent cross, even corners are woeful this season.
When did we last score from a corner anyone?

TheHellion

There is an interesting stat I remember about James Scowcroft. In an interview he gave when he joined us (I can't remember who it was with) he said he'd never in his career finished outside of the top ten in the championship/First Division. The one season he spent with us, we finished 8th. Odd coincidence, because I thought he was a bit rubbish for us.

wingy

Missed out mifsud, another player that was ruined by being played on the wing.
I think its been the wing that's been the problem, we have not had pace for a long long time.
We never seem to produce a decent cross, even corners are woeful this season.
When did we last score from a corner anyone?
Don't know for sure but would guess Ben turner last year or Richard wood

wingy

Another point ,there have been long term injury issues for some ,especially leon mckenzie,rapid turnover of managers does not help either ,being signed by one and then marginalised by the next ,also thought suffo was more ATM than striker,or another played out of position

Users who are viewing this thread