Cathedral Lane Restaurant Quarter (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Sounds like a good idea. I wonder if it will get places like Nandos to move in or it will have some independent type places. Would be good to have some independent restaurants.

Anybody remember that bar that used to be in there? Used to have a mini bus to fattys! Reef I think it was.

ajsccfc

I remember there being Coast? Something like that, would have been not long after they built it.

I like this idea, so long as it's not just chains - otherwise you may as well be upstairs in West Orchards.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I thought the restaurant quarter was down by the Litten Tree?

Nick

Administrator
I remember there being Coast? Something like that, would have been not long after they built it.

I like this idea, so long as it's not just chains - otherwise you may as well be upstairs in West Orchards.
Ahh reef was close, probably what everybody was drinking back then :)

LastGarrison

There was never a bar in there was there?

Bar Coast was outside where the Building Society now is (I think).

Let's be honest bar Wilkos Cathedral Lanes is dead so would certainly welcome the idea and it would be great to get a bit of life injected back into the City centre. Just actually drove through about half an hour ago and town was actually heaving, just needs some decent shops/restaurants and bars to get it kicking on!

ajsccfc

The one I'm thinking of was right on the corner, facing out to the side near High Street.

J

Jack Griffin

I thought the restaurant quarter was down by the Litten Tree?

I'm pretty sure there was a proposal for that a few years back, but it fell flat on its face, that area is not 'right'.

This seems like a better plan as it is near the Cathedral & might attract a more well heeled crowd, largely tourist visits in day, though the bistro at the back of the Lanes was a flop & has been closed for years. * PS Walked past it today & The Establishment in the old County Hall has taken over the patio at the rear of the Lanes .. looked reasonably busy.

Also meshes well with Drapers hall redevelopment & a few other schemes that have taken off round there, but I think the restaurants would need to have their main entrance from the rear, where that bistro is.

Otherwise that shopping centre is a dead duck, it is a pity the proposal wasn't to knock it down & build something smaller!

I'm not sure how the Wilko shop fits into this plan, it clearly does a decent turnover though.. but it doesn't really 'fit' next to nice restaurants, so maybe the idea is to separate the retail/commercial & restaurant areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macca

Sounds like a good idea. I wonder if it will get places like Nandos to move in or it will have some independent type places. Would be good to have some independent restaurants.

Anybody remember that bar that used to be in there? Used to have a mini bus to fattys! Reef I think it was.

Haha Nandos, the Cov posh night out. Not forgetting TGI,s for a special occasion

Otis

There was never a bar in there was there?

Bar Coast was outside where the Building Society now is (I think).

Let's be honest bar Wilkos Cathedral Lanes is dead so would certainly welcome the idea and it would be great to get a bit of life injected back into the City centre. Just actually drove through about half an hour ago and town was actually heaving, just needs some decent shops/restaurants and bars to get it kicking on!

Used to be a restaurant at the back of Cathedral Lanes, facing out towards the old cathedral. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was very nice in there. I think restaurants and bars is a great idea.

Wilko can move to the new Bishopgate project.

Sky_Blue_Daz

A decent steakhouse in town would be good

NorthernWisdom

Otherwise that shopping centre is a dead duck, it is a pity the proposal wasn't to knock it down & build something smaller!

Daftest bit of town planning the city's made in my lifetime (and boy, it has competition!) was building it in the first place. It worked well as-was, a garden and the cathedral the focal point... what other city blocks off its main asset?!?

Always thought the Golden Cross would make for a good gastro-pub but when the license went up for sale, they seem to want vodka swilling teen lads ready for the nightclubs!

wingy

Daftest bit of town planning the city's made in my lifetime (and boy, it has competition!) was building it in the first place. It worked well as-was, a garden and the cathedral the focal point... what other city blocks off its main asset?!?

Always thought the Golden Cross would make for a good gastro-pub but when the license went up for sale, they seem to want vodka swilling teen lads ready for the nightclubs!

Absolutely ,we need to see some Greenery In the centre.

Users who are viewing this thread