Carsley talking a lot of sense. (1 Viewer)

Otis

On talking about the academy kids who have made the step up.

"The new set-up next season will be like the old Pontins reserve league and the opportunity for the lads to make their mistakes and develop, rather than using the first team as their development squad,” he explained.

They shouldn’t be making their mistakes in front of big crowds, they should be doing it behind closed doors where we can work on their game.

“They have done really well but they need a competitive environment where they can play with a little less fear and enjoy it.

“It’s part of the new development squad guidelines going forward where the lads play 15 games a season and it’s going to be brilliant for them.

“I have worked with those lads every day last year and they are not ready for the first team, so I understand how much down to the bare bones we must feel for those lads to be thrown in.

Think a fair few of us forget they are just kids and I know a number of people on here have said if you're good enough you're old enough, but I disagree with that and fully agree with Carlsey here.

These players need to develop without the pressures of knowing that any mistake could be crucial to the team's fortunes. These kids are still developing and any mistakes they make really need to be at a level where the outcome isn't so important.

Have noticed Bigi getting a fair bit of stick on here of late but I think we are forgetting that he is still a kid learning his game.

Last edited:

covcity4life

yeah i have probably been guilty of treating the kids like men too i must admit

if sisu are serious and bring in 4-6 new names hopefully these kids can develop in the new league and be used in short burts for the senior team,could work very well

but time will tell.

chiefdave

it's a nice idea to have a reserve team but do we really have a big enough squad for it? We had youth team players regularly in the 1st team last season, isn't an extra team to field going to create a strain on the squad?

Astute

The academy lads need experience before playing in the 1st team though. Playing them in the reserves will bring them on quicker playing against more experienced players and save them from unneccesary abuse from unconsiderate fans.

procdoc

I don't recall that many game-changing mistakes made by our kids this season, Bigi getting himself sent off is the obvious one. The huge mistakes came from senior pro's missing penalties, going missing for most of the season (hello Bell & Baker!) or attempting suicidal back passes

Il Pirata

If this is a 'developmental league' where you play youth players how does it greatly differ from the standard youth league?

Astute

In a youth league you get mainly inexperienced youth players. They need a bit more than that to learn quicker.

Nonleagueherewecome

On talking about the academy kids who have made the step up.

"The new set-up next season will be like the old Pontins reserve league and the opportunity for the lads to make their mistakes and develop, rather than using the first team as their development squad,” he explained.

They shouldn’t be making their mistakes in front of big crowds, they should be doing it behind closed doors where we can work on their game.

“They have done really well but they need a competitive environment where they can play with a little less fear and enjoy it.

“It’s part of the new development squad guidelines going forward where the lads play 15 games a season and it’s going to be brilliant for them.

“I have worked with those lads every day last year and they are not ready for the first team, so I understand how much down to the bare bones we must feel for those lads to be thrown in.

Think a fair few of us forget they are just kids and I know a number of people on here have said if you're good enough you're old enough, but I disagree with that and fully agree with Carlsey here.

These players need to develop without the pressures of knowing that any mistake could be crucial to the team's fortunes. These kids are still developing and any mistakes they make really need to be at a level where the outcome isn't so important.

Have noticed Bigi getting a fair bit of stick on here of late but I think we are forgetting that he is still a kid learning his game.

Agreed, although I was the only one making a song and dance about it a few days ago:

AT LAST, A RESERVE TEAM!

I think this has been a massive factor in our under-achievement in the past 5 years. From the very first season, it was obvious that our players coming back from injuries or starting for the first time simply couldn't build up core fitness-often they were much better as a sub than starting, as they just hadn't got a full 90 under their belts. Simpson, Thornton, Baker-many many more were good impact players who just couldn't compete over 90 minutes.

Not only that, there has been no bridge to the first team from the youth side: Jeffers is the latest of numerous players who will have stagnated from lack of matches, whilst the likes of Clarke, Christie and the other youngsters would have been much more wordly-wise of they'd been playing some games with older players in a slightly higher standard than youth level, but without the pressure of the first team. They'd have had a chance to make mistakes and learn from them without it costing the first team.

And also, it's good for competition: you can't put pressure on the man ahead of you in the side by scoring a hatrick in the reserves if you don't have a reserve side!

Of course, it wouldn't have helped Gael or Connor much, as they've been needed in the first team as soon as they graduated-but in the previous seasons, it would have given us an extra 10-15% I reckon. Well done AT!

So, a massive positive. My only question is-if this costs money that SISU haven't been prepared to fund previously, how come they are now-and how come that has got signed off for next season if we don't have a budget yet? :thinking about:

I reckon Carsley read what I thought, and decided to rip me off ;)

procdoc

If this is a 'developmental league' where you play youth players how does it greatly differ from the standard youth league?

you're allowed so many players over the age of 21 (3 or 5, I can't remember) so they will be coming up against a few seasoned pro's as well as other young players. It's also ideal for us to help players coming back from injury rather than just throw them into the first team half-fit

stupot07

I completely agree Otis, the if your good enough your old enough is a load of rubbish especially in the context of ccfc and our squad. There are exceptions where individuals have been supremely gifted at such a young age. (e.g Rooney and Owen), but the difference is that 1) they were both extremely gifted at 17, and 2) they forced themselves into the first through performances, they weren't played because of lack of squad numbers. And actually in hindsight Owen probably played too much at a young age, hence the amount of injuries he's had.

Otis

I completely agree Otis, the if your good enough your old enough is a load of rubbish especially in the context of ccfc and our squad. There are exceptions where individuals have been supremely gifted at such a young age. (e.g Rooney and Owen), but the difference is that 1) they were both extremely gifted at 17, and 2) they forced themselves into the first through performances, they weren't played because of lack of squad numbers. And actually in hindsight Owen probably played too much at a young age, hence the amount of injuries he's had.

Rooney and Owen were also playing in winning sides. Big difference.

stupot07

Rooney and Owen were also playing in winning sides. Big difference.

Definitely. Some of the bigi bashing is shameful, he's still so young.

On the one hand the fans say "play the kids/give'm a chance/I'd rather play the kids and lose, etc". The as soon as they make a mistake - "they're crap/never gonna make it/we should get rid, etc"

Otis

There has been a lot of 'I don't rate Bigi' comments on here for sure.

The lad isn't ready for the first team. How can you not rate him when he's not even ready to play?

stupot07

I completely agree, if he was 21/22 then I would say fair enough he's not good enough.

He does seem to have been targeted, some of the younger players have also made their fair share of mistakes seem immune to criticism. To be honest I try not criticise any of them because like you said they aren't ready but are having to play anyway.

Il Pirata

you're allowed so many players over the age of 21 (3 or 5, I can't remember) so they will be coming up against a few seasoned pro's as well as other young players. It's also ideal for us to help players coming back from injury rather than just throw them into the first team half-fit
It seems like a decent and useful go-between, but not a huge step up for the young players. As long as the intensity is closer to top level football it should be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread