Cars (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
It's the sound of the turbos as well when they spin up, they don't sound the same any more :(

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Did column change ever work properly? I vaguely remember drivers frantically trying to get into any gear they could.
They were brilliant Dutch. If you imagine a normal gear shift as the "H" shape, then just turn the "H" on it's side. Simple. 1st gear was away from you and up, 2nd was straight down, 3rd was up, towards you and up again and 4th was straight down from that. Reverse was all the way away from you and down (if I remember rightly!) It was just basically having your gear stick on the side of the steering column. ;)

wheel.gif

Astute

Has anybody looked at buying an old classic as a project? Talked about it with the wife and had a look about for an old RS Turbo or something that needs some work, they are going for about £3k just for sheds. Madness.
This has been my problem.

Have been looking for a Triumph Stag without rust everywhere. But I don't want a sorted one. I want to keep original but do a total rebuild. It will be a project that will take me a few years. But most seem to be sorted or a total rusy bucket.

Houchens Head

This has been my problem.

Have been looking for a Triumph Stag without rust everywhere. But I don't want a sorted one. I want to keep original but do a total rebuild. It will be a project that will take me a few years. But most seem to be sorted or a total rusy bucket.
Astute, there's loads of older motors here on the IoW. Low mileage as well. I know you've been here before - we met once, remember? Anyway, do you want me to keep my ear to the ground or is this a bit too far to travel?

Astute

Astute, there's loads of older motors here on the IoW. Low mileage as well. I know you've been here before - we met once, remember? Anyway, do you want me to keep my ear to the ground or is this a bit too far to travel?
How could I ever forget meeting a top fisherman like yourself :smuggrin: Been a few years now.

Wouldn't be as easy as on the mainland but would be very interested if the right one became available. I always travel for my motors. Last season I picked one up from High Wycombe and then drove to Exeter for the game. I then had a 6 hour drive home to contemplate the fantastic performance by Burge :wideyed::smuggrin:

Hope your health is keeping up and the fishing is still good :emoji_thumbsup:

Manchester_sky_blue

I must say mate, I can't stop looking at the Triumph saloon, It's a thing of beauty, the grey paint is perfect, is that it's original colour?
Yeah Slate Grey, with Dolphin Blue interior. All the manuals and experts will tell you that was a combination never offered by Triumph but we have the original bill of sale which proves it's all original. Slate grey a very rare colour though anyway, not popular at the time it would seem

Houchens Head

How could I ever forget meeting a top fisherman like yourself :smuggrin: Been a few years now.

Wouldn't be as easy as on the mainland but would be very interested if the right one became available. I always travel for my motors. Last season I picked one up from High Wycombe and then drove to Exeter for the game. I then had a 6 hour drive home to contemplate the fantastic performance by Burge :wideyed::smuggrin:

Hope your health is keeping up and the fishing is still good :emoji_thumbsup:
Just on the fishing bit...…… it's been lousy for the last 2 or 3 years. Not only that, but new laws now state ANY bass caught MUST be returned to the water! It was bad enough when they said we could only keep just 2 a day, but now none, until further notice. And this is nationwide. :emoji_angry:

RedSalmon

Aside from football, cars are my other big interest. My Grandad worked at Standard-Triumph, Dad has worked for just about every UK car maker there is or ever was so it's inevitable i would be a petrol head.

Would be interested to see what motors you all drive, doesn't matter what it is, as long as you have an interest in it.

My present fleet consists of a not-very-interesting but useful Citroen Picasso which handles the daily duties and serves as family transport and then 3 toys – 1969 Triumph 2.5 Pi Saloon, 1968 Triumph Vitesse Convertible and a 1994 Ford Fiesta Mk3.

View attachment 9898
View attachment 9904 View attachment 9899 View attachment 9901 View attachment 9902 View attachment 9903

That Triumph 2.5 Mk 1 is thing of utter beauty!! Many years ago I nearly bought a Mk2 2.5pi but let the girl I was taking out at the time talk me out of it. Bitterly regret it now.

Had an uncle who bought brand new Vittesse towards the end of the production run. Still remember seeing it for the first time parked on his drive.

Astute

Just on the fishing bit...…… it's been lousy for the last 2 or 3 years. Not only that, but new laws now state ANY bass caught MUST be returned to the water! It was bad enough when they said we could only keep just 2 a day, but now none, until further notice. And this is nationwide. :emoji_angry:
My neighbour caught a lovely 4 1/2 lb Bass yesterday. We get quite a few of them up this way. All he was left with was a photo on his phone :rolleyes:

Gazolba

Has anybody looked at buying an old classic as a project? Talked about it with the wife and had a look about for an old RS Turbo or something that needs some work, they are going for about £3k just for sheds. Madness.
Don't do it unless you have LOTS of spare time at the weekends. I have two projects gathering dust in my garage I haven't touched in years.

Gazolba

That Triumph 2.5 Mk 1 is thing of utter beauty!! Many years ago I nearly bought a Mk2 2.5pi but let the girl I was taking out at the time talk me out of it. Bitterly regret it now.
<snip>
Don't know if it's a derivative of the model you are talking about, but I loved the Triumph Dolomite Sprint. They used to have a yellow one on display in the Coventry Transport Museum and it was my favourite car on display. The official name of the colour is Mimosa Yellow.
Dolomite-Sprint-Yellow-resized.jpg

Last edited:

Manchester_sky_blue

Don't know if it's a derivative of the model you are talking about, but I loved the Triumph Dolomite Sprint. They used to have a yellow one on display in the Coventry Transport Museum and it was my favourite car on display. The official name of the colour is Mimosa Yellow.
View attachment 9928

Dolomites are smaller, they were part of the family of cars underneath the 2000 range. In modern terms the Dolomite would be a BMW 3 series where as the 2000/2.5 would be a 5 series.
The one in that picture Isn't Mimosa, that's Inca Yellow but they are not dissimilar. Triumph had multiple shades of yellow that are all mistakable for one another.

This is mimosa
8855867.jpg

Manchester_sky_blue

Well, obviously I have and did! It's a great hobby but it is also frustrating, time consuming and expensive. If you have the time, space, patience and funds then go for it, there is fun to be had but go in to it eyes open.

Houchens Head

Dolomites are smaller, they were part of the family of cars underneath the 2000 range. In modern terms the Dolomite would be a BMW 3 series where as the 2000/2.5 would be a 5 series.
The one in that picture Isn't Mimosa, that's Inca Yellow but they are not dissimilar. Triumph had multiple shades of yellow that are all mistakable for one another.
This is mimosa
View attachment 9929
Would this be Inca or Mimosa? :emoji_thinking:

noddy-race-cars-original-imadcg2hyzu32bhh.jpg

dutchman

This is a Coventry-built 1955 Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire 346, currently for hire as a wedding car in Holland:

vICJCyi.png

inxw7kX.png

Gazolba

This is a Coventry-built 1955 Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire 346, currently for hire as a wedding car in Holland:

vICJCyi.png

inxw7kX.png
Those Armstrong Siddeleys are such elegant looking cars. My favourite was the Star Sapphire. They do look good in white. The closest I came to getting one was I owned the hood ornament - which was a fabulous chrome sphinx, but somewhere along the line it got lost (or stolen). I wonder if that car in Holland still has the original engine.

Last edited:

Gazolba

Here's the closest photo I could find resembling the 1972 Karmann-Ghia I used to own.
Mine had different bumpers, turn signal lenses, and standard wheels with chrome hubcaps.
The wheels on the car in the photo don't suit the car at all (in my opinion).
The colour is called Ivory. Mine had a black interior.
The car had a standard VW Beetle chassis and 1600cc engine, so mechnical parts were easy to get.
K-G-Coupe-resized.jpg

duffer

View attachment 9928

Lovely. Also the Sprint was the first ever production car with a 16v 4-cylinder engine. If I had my time again, I'd like to be a dealer in classic cars! :)

RedSalmon

Here's the closest photo I could find resembling the 1972 Karmann-Ghia I used to own.
Mine had different bumpers, turn signal lenses, and standard wheels with chrome hubcaps.
The wheels on the car in the photo don't suit the car at all (in my opinion).
The colour is called Ivory. Mine had a black interior.
The car had a standard VW Beetle chassis and 1600cc engine, so mechnical parts were easy to get.
View attachment 9931

Agree, those wheels don't look right.

bezzer

Herald was my first car and I've had 3 in total

My '65 1200 that I bought in 2003. Had 2 Herald estates prior to this one but don't have photos of them to hand. This one i sold to a guy who shipped it to Ireland and its the only one i regret selling, should have kept it.

View attachment 9905

My first car was also a Herald - TKV 152J It was a 13/60, cracking little car.

I sold it to a mate who used the chasis to build a kit car. Regretted it instantly.....

upload_2018-6-11_13-29-8.jpeg

Manchester_sky_blue

My first car was also a Herald - TKV 152J It was a 13/60, cracking little car.

I sold it to a mate who used the chasis to build a kit car. Regretted it instantly.....

View attachment 9935

My first one was a 13/60 too but the estate version, KWE 280J. Long since scrapped i think. I then had a 1200 Estate, FTF 496B (also scrapped i think) and then the green 1200 saloon that i posted the photo of, MML 130C which is still going happily in Ireland but with a new reg plate.

The first one i did get through an MOT but it was a rotter of a car, constantly falling apart so i never really got to drive it anywhere. The second one, FTF, suffered a catastrophic engine failure soon after i had put it back on the road. I was going to drop a 1500 engine in it but a chap offered me a lot of money for it so i sold it and bought the 1200 Saloon instead. Went everywhere in that car.

Manchester_sky_blue

Some of my previous Triumphs, the white 2000 was used as my wedding car but when we bought the house we needed the funds for various things so the car was sold to a friend of my Dads who still has it. We did the Club Triumph Round Britain Reliability Run in it in 2016. I used the left over money to buy the Acclaim (the silver one with the crap wheels) and the Dolomite (green one) and ran them both for a few years until Dad offered me the PI so they both went to fund that purchase. I think both are still on the road.
Acclaim.jpg 2500.jpg mk2.jpeg Dolly.jpg Round Britain.jpg Round Britain 2.jpg

Gazolba

Found a photo of a Vauxhall Viva HA, my first car.
Mine was a 1965 SL. This is supposedly a 1966 SL90 but looks identical, same colour as mine.
The SL had the side stripe, the fancier grille and special hubcaps.
Only the SL had the six lamps at the rear, standard models had just one on each side.
I think the classic styling has stood the test of time very well.
It was a great car, but eventually failed the MOT due to rust on the underside that was too expensive to repair.
Vauxhall Viva 1966 SL-resized.jpg Vauxhall Viva 1966 SL tail-resized.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread