Cardiff an example worth following! (2 Viewers)

We should use Cardiff (and others) as an example to any investors on what can be done, we have I would say a bigger support and more of a history, there is no reason why if we get some success the fans will return - this season JPT game v Crewe is an example of this, we need to be talking to clubs like Cardiff, Swansea, Southampton, Reading ect...these teams have all been on their knees financially - and I would like to say well done to the Gunner and Turner on their success, enjoy it lads. :claping hands:

SkyBlueScottie

We should use Cardiff (and others) as an example to any investors on what can be done, we have I would say a bigger support and more of a history, there is no reason why if we get some success the fans will return - this season JPT game v Crewe is an example of this, we need to be talking to clubs like Cardiff, Swansea, Southampton, Reading ect...these teams have all been on their knees financially - and I would like to say well done to the Gunner and Turner on their success, enjoy it lads. :claping hands:

Are you not forgetting Cardiff repeatedly overspent to get to the premiership?

Are you not forgetting Cardiff repeatedly overspent to get to the premiership?

Overspent? not sure what you mean, I thought Cardiff were a well run club? My point is that we are all similar sized clubs as the ones I mentioned - that have all hit the bricks at some point and are now in the Premier...we should then take the good bits and not the overspending, but would we overspend if we were genuinely chasing promotion to the Championship/Premiership if Crewe is anything to go by? I think we would get good crowds that would hopefully sustain us going forward...?

I know they have had numerous owners...but thought they were well run, if not well Ill take it back but the other teams are relevant as an example...however you could argue that now Cardiff are in the Prem its a gamble they won??

SkyBlueScottie

Cardiff recorded debts of 13.5million last year, taking their total debt to just over 83 million. Not sure that a season of premiership football will wipe that slate clean....

Cardiff recorded debts of 13.5million last year, taking their total debt to just over 83 million. Not sure that a season of premiership football will wipe that slate clean....

they would clear £60 million even if they get relegated after year 1 - if i'm honest I didn't know they owed that much, thats a lot of money! but again there are other teams that have done it with less debt...as mentioned. I take your point and if your figures are correct I wouldn't want us to go that much in debt, but to get to the Prem we would have to accrue some debt? having manageable debt is the foundation of most if not all big business, and football is big business these days, the key word here is manageable.

stupot07

they would clear £60 million even if they get relegated after year 1 - if i'm honest I didn't know they owed that much, thats a lot of money! but again there are other teams that have done it with less debt...as mentioned. I take your point and if your figures are correct I wouldn't want us to go that much in debt, but to get to the Prem we would have to accrue some debt? having manageable debt is the foundation of most if not all big business, and football is big business these days, the key word here is manageable.

No they won't....they will make some signings in the summer jan, increase their wage bill, their first years money will be wiped out then. Then if they get relegated they will be left with a wage bill higher than turnover - they already lost £13m in 1 year so the parachute payments will help them reduce the losses not necessarily their debt.

I for one don't want to see us ever take a gamble which will saddle us with more debt again.

SkyblueDave89

We've been talking about this for years, we are the 'Unlucky' club in which I mean, we will do the talk but can't walk the walk because those who have run our club can't get it right. As I see it we have one last chance following administration & if we don't get the right people in charge of the club & we don't get out of L1 next season we will be the forgotten club of the lower leagues. God forbid this ever happens. Living in Manchester the older fans know who City are but the young fans ask 'Coventry who??' They don't even know what league we are in!!

ccfctommy

They have set no example, they have sold out their colours and their club identity.

Hope they finish last.

SkyblueBazza

...& why would our competitors want to tell us their "magic formula"? Why in fact would we follow it? Surely new ideas to not just catch up - but overtake these clubs is what would be most beneficial?
That means doing a British Cycling type exercise & strip everything to do with the club back to bare-bones by analysis (theoretically the administrator does the analysis of where we're at). Then improve everything...& keep revisiting about every two yrs...& tweak as required. Keeps costs low in the long term, speeds up the change process & leaves the club as a lean mean fighting machine :)

Mucca Mad Boys

Also, they failed and failed and failed to secure promotion, the ultimate 'nearly team'.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes, well done Cardiff. You signed players nobody (not even yourselves) could actually afford year on year and now it's all paid off. Just before FFP kicks in too-a great accomplishment.

skybluegod

that money will go to wages and transfers and other expenses like that before they try to wipe the debt and they will increase there debt over the summer

CovLis86

The only well run clubs of then are reading and Swansea. Others have found the loopholes in the system to straddle ridiculous debts and keep adding to them. And to turn their back on their history and colours etc, well personally I would have been disgusted if we did that

stupot07

no cardiff is not an example cov should follow

lets do it swansea way

I agree, but the Swansea way requires patience from fans, they hit rock bottom, nearly fell out of the football league and it's taken over a decade to get where they are now.

fernandopartridge

No we certainly should not. They were a proper club but now have had their soul ripped out, the most clear example of the commercial sanitisation of football. I'd rather be in League 2 than "Do a Cardiff"

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Ah well. At least there's a CCFC in the Premiership now....... :D

Tad

Arent Swansea ran by loads of rich fans though? Can't see that many people from Cov doing the same...

Last edited:

hill83

No we certainly should not. They were a proper club but now have had their soul ripped out, the most clear example of the commercial sanitisation of football. I'd rather be in League 2 than "Do a Cardiff"

Changing the badge and kit colour is hardly 'ripping the soul' out of a club. It's been done many times by many clubs.
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

Danceswithhorses

Changing the badge and kit colour is hardly 'ripping the soul' out of a club. It's been done many times by many clubs.
Agreed...been done by us of course in the past.
Were we not nicknamed the bantams and used to play in white ?

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Good for you. I personally would rather not sit next to the thousands of Jonny come lately types Cardiff now attract, happy clappy knobheads who didn't consider going to see their local club until a couple of years ago.

spwaverley4916

just to be totally biase and bitter what the F*** are Swansea and Cardiff doing in the ENGLISH Premier League anyway ??????????? :thinking about:

Tad

just to be totally biase and bitter what the F*** are Swansea and Cardiff doing in the ENGLISH Premier League anyway ??????????? :thinking about:

How many ENGLISH players play in the ENGLISH Premier league?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread