Car Leasing instead of buying (1 Viewer)

M&B Stand

Anyone got any experience of leasing a new car?

due to change our car and can't get my head round if it's worth leasing instead of buying or not. I suppose it depends on the car but, How much typically should I be paying?

olderskyblue

Anyone got any experience of leasing a new car?

due to change our car and can't get my head round if it's worth leasing instead of buying or not. I suppose it depends on the car but, How much typically should I be paying?

Could you give a little more detail? ie what colour you want?........ ;)

Grendel

It depends. PCH versus PCP really just depends on the likely monthly cost, if insurance is covered in PCH and the terms of surrender and mileage penalties.

M&B Stand

Could you give a little more detail? ie what colour you want?........ ;)

Any, as long as it's black.

I just can't be doing with car salesmen. As soon as they start talking I wanna walk out the door.

whats pch and pcp?

ive googled leasing and they don't come with maintenance, what kind of a fiddle is that!?

Grendel

Any, as long as it's black.

I just can't be doing with car salesmen. As soon as they start talking I wanna walk out the door.

whats pch and pcp?

ive googled leasing and they don't come with maintenance, what kind of a fiddle is that!?

PCH is personal contract hire. I assume you are looking as a private buyer. That's the lease available.

Most deals come with service and maintenance.

Grendel

Yeah.
Any firms you recommend?

It depend what car you actually want and what your monthly budget is. Also several manufacturers offer backed schemes which you could take advantage of at the right time.

Si80

We (the wife) PCP's a Mazda 2 and has done for the last 6/7 years.
We put down a deposit of £700ish at the start iirc, and then when we get 2/3 years in to the deal we normally chop it in.
Our miles are always < 8000 PA and the car is always in decent nick when it goes back, so when it comes to what the car is worth and what the final payment is required on the car we normally get circa £750-1000 to put towards the next PCP plus whatever incentive Mazda offer (they put £1k in on our last swap) on staying with them / upgrading.

ccfc92

Not sure what brand you are looking for, but Vauxhall (at least the one here in Poole) are offering, 3,4 and 5000 scrap page scheme towards a new car. If you have a car worth 1-2 grand you could possibly get double what's its worth towards a new car, plus you don't have the hassle of selling it etc.

Lots of good deals out there, buying or lease, just need the decide what sort of car you want :)

Covrock

I lease, I pay £240 for a volvo V40. Great on fuel, no road tax, insurance is around £200 fully comprehensive. I use Johnson's in Solihull, other garages are available, they do other makes. My Mrs has a vw beetle with them. she got a real good deal, pissed me off no end as I thought mine was good.

lewys33

Fortunately for me I get a discounted lease scheme through a family member.

It all depends on what deal you can get really - all cars depreciate so why do you need to actually own it? That is my argument anyway.

M&B Stand

Fortunately for me I get a discounted lease scheme through a family member.

It all depends on what deal you can get really - all cars depreciate so why do you need to actually own it? That is my argument anyway.

That's what I thought.

Cheers everyone for the advice. There does seem to be decent deals if you do a bit of research.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I suppose it depends on your attitude to money & value.....but it appears to me that personal leasing/hire seems a bit of a false economy.....

Just looking at an example on the linky in the above post, take an average VW golf for 3 years & its gonna be costing you about £1000 up front, then £300 per month for 3 years....

....that's about 12K already, maintenance costs extra on top.....then you've got fuck all to show for it after 3 years.....except possible some penalty/admin charges when you return it.....

......whereas that sort of cash can comfortably buy you an approved used golf of similar spec which is yours to keep......

I know which I'd choose but looking at the amount of brand new motors on the road all the time, I'm guessing I'm in the minority.....

lewys33

I suppose it depends on your attitude to money & value.....but it appears to me that personal leasing/hire seems a bit of a false economy.....

Just looking at an example on the linky in the above post, take an average VW golf for 3 years & its gonna be costing you about £1000 up front, then £300 per month for 3 years....

....that's about 12K already, maintenance costs extra on top.....then you've got fuck all to show for it after 3 years.....except possible some penalty/admin charges when you return it.....

......whereas that sort of cash can comfortably buy you an approved used golf of similar spec which is yours to keep......

I know which I'd choose but looking at the amount of brand new motors on the road all the time, I'm guessing I'm in the minority.....

This is why I said depending on what deal you can get. Someone who clicks a few buttons on a website to get a lease car won't get a good deal.

I change my car every 9000 miles, pay in the region of £220-270 a month with insurance, tax and tyres etc included (cost dependent on what car) - but like I said this is an employee discounted rate. I didn't pay any deposit. Only issue I would have is if I went to hand the car back damaged.

You say "yours to keep" but it does fascinate me how some people seem to think owning a car is a big thing. It's not like a house. A car depreciates and will eventually be close to worthless. After warranty you get MOT costs and breakdown costs. For example if you end up paying £6-700 every 3/4 months in repairs, or even have that 1 big bill of £2000 then is it not worth spending circa £2-300 a month on a brand new car? Its a set fee you can account for every month.

If you can lease a car which covers depreciation comfortably then you are on to a winner. If you can get a better deal which includes insurance, or no/low deposit then I don't see why you wouldn't consider it.

jimmyhillsfanclub

This is why I said depending on what deal you can get. Someone who clicks a few buttons on a website to get a lease car won't get a good deal.

I change my car every 9000 miles, pay in the region of £220-270 a month with insurance, tax and tyres etc included (cost dependent on what car) - but like I said this is an employee discounted rate. I didn't pay any deposit. Only issue I would have is if I went to hand the car back damaged.

You say "yours to keep" but it does fascinate me how some people seem to think owning a car is a big thing. It's not like a house. A car depreciates and will eventually be close to worthless. After warranty you get MOT costs and breakdown costs. For example if you end up paying £6-700 every 3/4 months in repairs, or even have that 1 big bill of £2000 then is it not worth spending circa £2-300 a month on a brand new car? Its a set fee you can account for every month.

If you can lease a car which covers depreciation comfortably then you are on to a winner. If you can get a better deal which includes insurance, or no/low deposit then I don't see why you wouldn't consider it.

I don't think owning a car is a "big thing"....quite the opposite.....its more about avoiding the £300+ monthly bill just for driving a slightly newer car.....

Provided you don't drive like a dick & service it every now & then, most 1/2 decent motors don't really have big repair bills until you hit 9-10+ years or 200K miles....and even then you can get often get a couple grand back via a scrappage scheme or px....

Horses for courses I suppose.....I did say I was probably in the minority....

BackRoomRummermill

It's like renting a car in my eyes on along term deal. You are funding someone else's asset and paying for it to be serviced. There are some great 0 per cent finance deals out there at the moment to buy on nearly new cars that have lost the forecourt depreciation. At the end your finance you will have something of value after three years to trade in again.

I would not lease a car

Users who are viewing this thread