Captain Carsley eyes Premier League glory (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

l1025118_c147700_1116_517.jpg

COVENTRY City captain Lee Carsley still feels the Sky Blues have what it takes to gain promotion from the Championship this season.

The club have hit a poor run of form in recent weeks and four defeats in five matches has left Aidy Boothroyd's side four points off the play-offs, with other teams around them having at least one game in-hand.
However former Republic of Ireland international Carsley is confident the club can return to the winning formula they developed in the first half of the season and continue to push for promotion to the top flight of English football.

"I want to be part of a successful team," said Carsley. I want to be in a team that gets back into the Premier League and to do that we need to be far more consistent and stick together.
I think we have gone away from that in the last month. We have turned into a team that is trying to get the ball forward perhaps too early with not as much quality.
We need to believe what we have been showing on the training ground, which is what got us the success in the first half of the season.
It’s easy to feel sorry for yourselves when you are on a bad run and in the past this club has slipped down to mid-table or the bottom half in the second half of the season and I am going to do all I can to make sure that doesn’t happen because we have got more than enough ability in the squad to be right up there."

The Sky Blues entertain Crystal Palace in the third round of the FA Cup this Saturday and Carsley is hoping his side can take advantage of home support and get back to winning ways.
He added: "I think the league campaign is always going to take priority, but sometimes the FA Cup can come as a welcome distraction. It’s ironic because the season I left Everton they got to the Cup Final so I hope I am not a jinx.

You always associate the FA Cup with giant killings or the chance to play teams in the top division, but we are playing at home and that is always an advantage."

Users who are viewing this thread