Can't defend for shit tbh (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

There are not many teams in the world that can have a secure defence and a potent attack at the same time, you only have o look at Real, Barca etc awesome going forward but poor at the back (no I am not comparing city to those just emphasising the point). You reap what you sow and our focus is to score more than we concede. We have two full backs who bomb forward and it does cost us at the back but personally I am loving the style of play we have at the moment. Take us back to Bothroyd or Coleman days when we were defensively minded..... no thanks!!

I think we have to face facts, resources are very short and we are very lucky that the vultures haven't taken our good prospects in the summer. Elvis has seen something in our front guys particularly Wilson which no other manager has even given him a sniff and is capitalising on this and it is working. Lets not get the knives out on our young defenders just yet guys.

It's frustrating though because I don't think we are conceding goals because we are playing too open. A lot of it like set pieces should be bread and butter for defenders at this level and we make it difficult

Covstu

It's frustrating though because I don't think we are conceding goals because we are playing too open. A lot of it like set pieces should be bread and butter for defenders at this level and we make it difficult

I don't disagree bud, they were a physical side which we struggled to cope with at times but just don't understand the massive panic (and negativity) from people after one game!

shy_tall_knight

their first goal was a good header from a good delivery but Pope was unchallenged. I thought blair struggled defensively and was often easily beaten. Baker's sloppy passing put us under unnecessary pressure.

Sky Blue Harry H

Also frustrating, because they were very average. One strategy, which they got right in second half - pump it in and get second ball. First half we look a class better than them, without being clinical enough.

slyblue57

Gobsmacked that people are saying Fleck and Thomas are light weights . Both have been playing superb football.
All the goals we seem to concede are from dead ball situations which should be dealt with by the defence . Again today every long throw,every free kick or corner pumped into the box caused havoc. Port Vale only ever looked dangerous from those situations.

stupot07

Gobsmacked that people are saying Fleck and Thomas are light weights . Both have been playing superb football.
All the goals we seem to concede are from dead ball situations which should be dealt with by the defence . Again today every long throw,every free kick or corner pumped into the box caused havoc. Port Vale only ever looked dangerous from those situations.

It's not just the defences job to defend set pieces. One of Chelsea's best defenders at corners was drogba.

I agree Thomas and fleck are playing well, but I also agree that a 4 man midfield containing baker, moussa and fleck is weak defensively, which is why we're at our best in possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse and spelling or grammar errors :)

Kingokings204

Our defence is not bad man for man but as a side a lot get attracted to the ball imo and creates gaps and it only takes a half decent side like vale to get 3 goals and lets be fair could of had a lot more.

SkyBlueHomer

Completely agree, however, it is plain to see that we are pretty weak at the back.

Yet people are arguing that we are not. Whether Pressley can do anything about it is a totally different thing.
2nd half we got found out & that will happen many more times this season against us, if struggling just hoof it. What you say is 100% correct, what any city fan with a brain can work out & Pressley will have to work a miracle due to the farce off the pitch

When you play so aggressively, you have to be able to rely on your back 4. If you cannot rely on them, then you either have to put more players into the defence or rely on the front 1 - 2 banging them in like there is no tomorrow. Sure it has worked mostly so far, yet tbf the oppositions performances have hardly set the world alight.

Also Micky Adams to his credit did his homework, he saw the frailties, and even with a lets face it poor port vale squad managed to get 3 goals. I just fear that now this achilles heel has been exposed, the other teams will be able to exploit it. And if your manager only has a Plan A, then you are relying on your front men to get 3 or more goals every game! That just is unrealistic, and is in my mind a recipe for disaster.

Davo

Someone actually talking sense.

Fleck, and in particular Thomas, were very good today.
We are an attacking side, so will be prone to concede. We are also a league one club. Our players are prone to mistakes, wrong decisions, etc. if they weren't they would be playing at a higher level. If we can cut the number of errors we make, in terms of positioning and decisions made defensively, then I can see us really pushing on. I'm seeing signs of that already in the last few games to be honest, bar second half today of course.

I heard someone say leaving the ground earlier "that was no different to last season". I'm sorry, but I've not seen us pass the ball the way we did at times today, and dominate teams, since god knows when

LJC_CCFC

Someone actually talking sense.

Fleck, and in particular Thomas, were very good today.
We are an attacking side, so will be prone to concede. We are also a league one club. Our players are prone to mistakes, wrong decisions, etc. if they weren't they would be playing at a higher level. If we can cut the number of errors we make, in terms of positioning and decisions made defensively, then I can see us really pushing on. I'm seeing signs of that already in the last few games to be honest, bar second half today of course.

I heard someone say leaving the ground earlier "that was no different to last season". I'm sorry, but I've not seen us pass the ball the way we did at times today, and dominate teams, since god knows when

1) I believe mistakes happen at all levels of the game

2) We played better football under Robins imo

KG7

It's exhausting being a Cov fan.

Thomas, Fleck, and Jordan Clarke have been OUTSTANDING this season. Yes. OUTSTANDING. Integral to the way we play. We attack and defend as a unit, this is what is so brilliant to watch about us and allows us to soak up pressure and sustain it for long periods. I have never, ever seen a City team that cranks up the pressure on the opposition as much as this team does. I think it is because too often in the past we have relied on one asset of one star player (Huckerby's speed, Dion's aerial prowess etc) whereas this team is an intricate mould of each players strengths.

Anyway, I digress.

They are allowed an off day.

Get off their backs, you'll see the benefit. And if it's the first game you've seen this season then have the perspective to acknowledge this before you go berating them on ONE game.

KG7

And didn't Pressley resort to Plan B when he threw Manset on for Thomas AS SOON as we went behind?

A massive feature of this season has been Pressley's decision making at crucial periods of the game.

Plucking three off the top of my head:

Gillingham
Manset on for Baker and going three up top. Five minutes later we score. Pressley then shores up the defence by puliing Moussa off and putting Willis on the left of midfield

Preston
Manset on for Daniels as soon as Preston went 2-1 up, again going three up top. Culminating in an equaliser two minutes later and then a final equaliser in the final minute by Manset.

Colchester
Manset on for Wilson when Colchester dropped deep to counteract Wilson's pace, Pressley threw Manset on to play in the hole.

It is incredible that people can say that there is no Plan B when Pressley is clearly, not only responding to the game, but making quick decisions to significant changes in the game. ie as soon as the opposition scores. How often do managers (particularly ours) mull over these changes and let the game peter out?

SkyBlue_Bear83

It was my first game today and I just call it as I see it

It was not a good performance overall, we controlled the first half without dominating.

Second half was poor and Port Vale deserved their goals and the win. Lets hope it was just a bad day at the office, need to start another unbeaten run starting at Brentford next week

Nonleagueherewecome

And didn't Pressley resort to Plan B when he threw Manset on for Thomas AS SOON as we went behind?

A massive feature of this season has been Pressley's decision making at crucial periods of the game.

Gillingham
Manset on for Baker and going three up top. Five minutes later we score. Pressley then shores up the defence by puliing Moussa off and putting Willis on the left of midfield

Preston
Manset on for Daniels as soon as Preston went 2-1 up, again going three up top. Culminating in an equaliser two minutes later and then a final equaliser in the final minute by Manset.

Colchester
Manset on for Wilson when Colchester dropped deep to counteract Wilson's pace, Pressley threw Manset on to play in the hole.

It is incredible that people can say that there is no Plan B when Pressley is clearly, not only responding to the game, but making quick decisions to significant changes in the game. ie as soon as the opposition scores. How often do managers (particularly ours) mull over these changes and let the game peter out?

Why, it's almost as if people haven't seen half of our games for some reason, isn't it?

Astute

Gillingham

Preston

Colchester

We lost because of one of two reasons.

Adams made two subs at half time. The game changed from all us to all them. Either Vale had the more tactically aware manager or we don't have the players to be able to change a game. We were getting battered the second half. Why wait until we are losing right at the end of the game to change things when we started the second half winning?

coventry&stuff

This thread shows exactly who has been staying away from Sixfields. If you'd attend (que abuse) you wouldn't have the same opinions based on one game vs Vale.

SkyBlue_Bear83

This thread shows exactly who has been staying away from Sixfields. If you'd attend (que abuse) you wouldn't have the same opinions based on one game vs Vale.

No one is trying to hide the fact they don't attend sixfields mate

Everyone who went yesterday has the same right and information to judge the performance.

KG7

No one is trying to hide the fact they don't attend sixfields mate

Everyone who went yesterday has the same right and information to judge the performance.

Fine to form an opinion on a game but it needs to be acknowledged that it's an opinion on one game on not on the season.

I can accept that Thomas, Fleck, Clarke had an off day yesterday (I wasn't there so I'll have to) but clamouring to replace them I can't accept because they have been impeccable this season.

LJC_CCFC

Fine to form an opinion on a game but it needs to be acknowledged that it's an opinion on one game on not on the season.

I can accept that Thomas, Fleck, Clarke had an off day yesterday (I wasn't there so I'll have to) but clamouring to replace them I can't accept because they have been impeccable this season.

They've not been impeccable, all three were used sparingly last season (as a result of them not being good enough). Saying that they have filled in well, but have benefited from the red hot form of Leon, Wilson and Moussa. You'll get a 6/10 rating from the three of them for most games, nothing more nothing less

KG7

They've not been impeccable, all three were used sparingly last season (as a result of them not being good enough). Saying that they have filled in well, but have benefited from the red hot form of Leon, Wilson and Moussa. You'll get a 6/10 rating from the three of them for most games, nothing more nothing less

I'm not talking about last season, I'm talking about this season - they barely mustered thirty games between them last season, which makes this season's form all the more incredible.

They have more than 'filled in'. They have become first choice and have dominated games in a way that I have never before seen a City midfield do. Their performances have enabled Leon, Wilson, and (debatably) Moussa to develop a red hot form.

Fleck and Thomas have consistently been the third line of attack and first line of defence. This takes incredible discipline and allows us to persistently apply pressure to defences. How many times this season have we cranked up the pressure on the opposition for twenty, thirty, even forty minutes? Almost every game. This is down to Thomas and Fleck dropping deep in the attack, nipping in and intercepting a potential break away and recycling the ball to build another City attack.

If we have to put a number on their performances this season (and I wasn't there yesterday) they would have at least a 9 out of 10 for the five games I've seen them in. (Yesterday wasn't one of those).

They have contributed as much to the red hot form of Wilson, Leon, and Moussa as those three players themselves, which is what is so delightful about watching this team in the early stages of this season. We are performing beyond the sum of our parts.

Sutty

Fleck 6/10 and nothing more? He's been absolutely superb.

stupot07

Thomas was injured for the majority of last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse and spelling or grammar errors :)

Stafford_SkBlue

The big problem is we have no depth - Daniels was injured and not on the sub bench yesterday, which left just Manset and Adam Barton as subs with some experience. Barton is apparently still troubled with a knee injury.
SP has very little options, we have managed to keep nearly the same starting 11 this season.
We are where we are, but it's been great that in time of need, are academy graduates have helped us out.

georgehudson

over to the owners then, to bolster the squad to a manageable level, & that is not 22 with 4/5 senior players,
i'm certain SP will have his views on the quantity required,
& would welcome his decisions,
but with Fisher having to take every prospective situation to 'the invisible one',
this creates a problem,
& is it a wise scenario to have someone who knows 'diddley squat' about football making decisions like this?

stupot07

over to the owners then, to bolster the squad to a manageable level, & that is not 22 with 4/5 senior players,
i'm certain SP will have his views on the quantity required,
& would welcome his decisions,
but with Fisher having to take every prospective situation to 'the invisible one',
this creates a problem,
& is it a wise scenario to have someone who knows 'diddley squat' about football making decisions like this?

Pressley has said he can bring players in,but will only bring in players he wants. He said at the end of last season he wanted a small squad, he chose the players he wanted to keep.

Users who are viewing this thread