Canley Social Club burnt down (1 Viewer)

aloisiwouldhavescored

Just read that the former Canley Social Club in Marler Road has burnt down.

Lots of memories of Canley club when I was young. We lived over the road and my mum and dad both worked there at weekends for some extra money. Prior to that we were regulars at Cox Street club. The whole family used to go there on Saturday nights and there was always a concert on.

What has happened to all the social clubs, most of them have closed down, the smoking ban has had a lot to do with the decline.

Jot555

My Grandfather was a founder member. We used to go in the concert room on a Saturday night and to all the kids Christmas parties in the 70s. Nan n Grandad lived in Hayton Green.

Ashdown1

Lots of memories of Canley club when I was young. We lived over the road and my mum and dad both worked there at weekends for some extra money. Prior to that we were regulars at Cox Street club. The whole family used to go there on Saturday nights and there was always a concert on.

What has happened to all the social clubs, most of them have closed down, the smoking ban has had a lot to do with the decline.

Many of the social clubs came about as venues of social activity and entertainment for the thousands of primarily British people who worked in the healthy manufacturing sector. Ones been fucked up by exporting all the jobs to China, the clubs and pubs are just another casualty of an unhealthy local economy !

sotv1987

I lived in Canley for 25 years and used the club regular, i have some brilliant memories and played footy for them, i lived in Founder Close then Hancock Green before moving to Green Lane, it's a tragedy to see it go up in smoke, i was there yesterday for some time, very sad!!!!

CCFC88

My Grandad, an Irish imigrant, was barred for life after going in there on the queens corronation after a few cans of nectar, singing, to put it politely, "anti monachy" songs.

Years after his passing my dad would take me down every Sunday whilst growing up to watch the footy on sky.

A cracking place and a real shame that somewhere that was really the heartbeat of the community has ended up like that, unfortunately it is a sign of the times and a far to familliar story throughout the country.

skyblueprincess

Giggles ...Remembering the stories of the good old Canley Club .. I used to go to the bingo when i was really little with my Grandma while she was ticking off her legs eleven and two fat ladies i was holding hands with a boy under the table sharing smarties

Users who are viewing this thread