Can you provide the answers? (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Sticks and stones aside,there is lots of emotion on here and sometimes that tends to mask the reality.

I'm not saying we are in any way doing Ok but the fact remains recent form or if you like results, have been against in form sides and we have not been smashed off the park, losing narrowly or drawing. As much as I think Pressley is struggling at the moment and needs results it must be said he got a result last night be it not a home win against a very inform side away from home and the somewhat inevitable goal scoring return of the prodigal son.

So how can we summarize where we are and what the immediate future is?

There are players with quality among the ranks. Tudgay clearly posseses that and last nights finish was top drawer.
At this level and I think Mark Robins aluded to it, we have the players that should be doing much better in terms of results.

That is down to the coaching staff and not in any way (in the short term at least) to do with SISU.

Also worth noting a small run of games undefeated would catapult us up the table. This league is separated by so few points because the vast majority are poor sides. Whoever wants to get a run together can still feasibly make a late playoff run.

The question is can SP turn the narrow defeats and draws into wins and soon? The second question is, how should he do that?

Noggin

None of our last 4 games have been against teams who are currently in the top 10 form table (last 6 games). The 2 games prior to that were against teams currently doing well but those were comfortable defeats.

Of course there are many ways to look at this statistically, I just checked where the 4 opponents are now rather than where they were as thats harder to work out.

I realise of course that scunthorpe have done well away from home but is that really a more relevant statistic than the last 6 games form no matter the location?

Last edited:

Evo1883

I think regardless of how we try paper over it 11 wins in the last 50 or so games is appalling

Evo1883

And i think its 4 wins from the last 20 league games ...we dont play inform teams most weeks

Ashdown

Sticks and stones aside,there is lots of emotion on here and sometimes that tends to mask the reality.

I'm not saying we are in any way doing Ok but the fact remains recent form or if you like results, have been against in form sides and we have not been smashed off the park, losing narrowly or drawing. As much as I think Pressley is struggling at the moment and needs results it must be said he got a result last night be it not a home win against a very inform side away from home and the somewhat inevitable goal scoring return of the prodigal son.

There are players with quality among the ranks. Tudgay clearly posseses that and last nights finish was top drawer.
At this level and I think Mark Robins aluded to it, we have the players that should be doing much better in terms of results.

That is down to the coaching staff and not in any way (in the short term at least) to do with SISU.

Also worth noting a small run of games undefeated would catapult us up the table. This league is separated by so few points because the vast majority are poor sides. Whoever wants to get a run together can still feasibly make a late playoff run.

The question is can SP turn the narrow defeats and draws into wins and soon? The second question is, how should he do that?

Here we go again with a very thinly disguised hoorah for SISU, nothings their fault, they've been fabulous for the club, it's everyone/everything else ! Yawn !

Samo

Here we go again with a very thinly disguised hoorah for SISU, nothings their fault, they've been fabulous for the club, it's everyone/everything else ! Yawn !

It must take many years of practice to be this much of an asshole.

albatross

As much as I dislike SISU , as far as I am aware none of them are on the playing or coaching staff. Neither do any of them Batter people on the field that is down to the playing side of the club.

SISU are there to organise the running of the club off the field and SP and his team determine who plays, where and what tactics are deployed.

I can't comment on the performances having only been listening on CWR but reading all these posts there are few who will defend the current regime either on or off the pitch.

If the club fix the on field issues then that would relive a lot of pressure on them. A winning team is what is needed.

Paxman II

Ashdown. I put the results and going forward squarely in the coaching staffs court. Can't see how that is a veiled attempt at support for SISU?

The reason for the post and correctly suggested that statistics can be carried in different ways, was to ask the question of what should SP do to turn our narrow defeats and draws into wins?

Anyone willing to take a stab at that?

Samo

Ashdown. I put the results and going forward squarely in the coaching staffs court. Can't see how that is a veiled attempt at support for SISU?

The reason for the post and correctly suggested that statistics can be carried in different ways, was to ask the question of what should SP do to turn our narrow defeats and draws into wins?

I believe it to be beyond his capabilities Pax.

eastwoodsdustman

A bit of width ( a lot more than we have now in fact), More forward passes from the midfield and defence. Players given a little more licence to get forward and gamble on scoring. And get JOB to hold his shape in the team more. Playing people in their correct positions.
That would be a good start for me.

Ashdown

If your posts didn't normally take such a defensive stance of our destructive owners then I'd take you seriously and answer with more respect but sadly they do.

Ian1779

My wife in her infinite wisdom often says when we lose... 'why don't they kick it at the bloody goal' - and maybe she has a point.

We don't have anywhere near enough attempts at goal, too busy passing it sideways and backwards with no great urgency. Simple maths tells you that if you have a strike rate of 20%.. then having twice as many shots could result in twice as many goals.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Ok.. so the basis of your logic is that we should be performing better with the players that we have is based on: 1, Tudgays Goal- (good finish agree)- 2, Mark Robins Opinion that we SHOULD be performing better, 3, Your own opinion that the players we have should be performing better...is that a fair summary?

1- Good finish agree, but one swallow does not a summer make
2- Hes entitled to his opinion- and I thought he spoke very well after the game in all fairness(almost like he was angling to come back?)
3- Your opinion is respected.

Rationale/My opinion. Had Mr Pressley and the coaching staff been managing with a level deck and an even chance/hand then I agree, results are not acceptable and he should be held accountable, but... the reality is.. that he's trying to build a team without foundations, or support from his employers, as such calls for his head in my opinion are not well founded. I'd pose the age old question; if he were dismissed, who would he be replaced with and what would his expectation be both of the club and the club of him?... changing horses in the middle of a stormy river crossing isn't wise... in my opinion.

Further I think it undeniable, that players as sold by the owners and not Mr Pressley... would perform better.....?

Nick

Administrator
Ok.. so the basis of your logic is that we should be performing better with the players that we have is based on: 1, Tudgays Goal- (good finish agree)- 2, Mark Robins Opinion that we SHOULD be performing better, 3, Your own opinion that the players we have should be performing better...is that a fair summary?

1- Good finish agree, but one swallow does not a summer make
2- Hes entitled to his opinion- and I thought he spoke very well after the game in all fairness(almost like he was angling to come back?)
3- Your opinion is respected.

Rationale/My opinion. Had Mr Pressley and the coaching staff been managing with a level deck and an even chance/hand then I agree, results are not acceptable and he should be held accountable, but... the reality is.. that he's trying to build a team without foundations, or support from his employers, as such calls for his head in my opinion are not well founded. I'd pose the age old question; if he were dismissed, who would he be replaced with and what would his expectation be both of the club and the club of him?... changing horses in the middle of a stormy river crossing isn't wise... in my opinion.

Further I think it undeniable, that players as sold by the owners and not Mr Pressley... would perform better.....?

Why doesn't he have a level hand compared to some other teams in this league? Bar the Bristol Citys and Sheff Uniteds etc.

stupot07

It's a mixture of a poor squad, poor coaching and poor management, on top of poor ownership.

Robin's said we have a "good group of players" not the same thing as a "good squad", coincidently both before and after the match Dave Phillips commented that we lack quality and a number of players aren't good enough for league one. He's seen us play far more than Robins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Please tell me you are not including CCFC in that thought process, Pax!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Paxman II

No Otis I do not consider we could be a late play off contender. I think that ship has all but sailed, certainly under SP.

I think whatever we all think to SP and the coaching staff and for that matter the ins and outs of our owners decision making, the results under him this season and given the time and squad he has at his disposal are at best below average to poor.

I'm not yet calling for his head outright but do believe a change of manager/staff if made, would result in an improvement. It's difficult to see how a change could make it any worse at any rate!

Someone asked who could replace him? My answer is easy. Who was SP in the first place? Is anyone seriously doubting there are no better candidates available and willing out there?

But like I said it's easy to throw sticks and stones but what would you want SP to do in order to start getting better results consistently with the players we have? Those who answered that so far I tend to agree with.

Otis

No Otis I do not consider we could be a late play off contender. I think that ship has all but sailed, certainly under SP.

I think whatever we all think to SP and the coaching staff and for that matter the ins and outs of our owners decision making, the results under him this season and given the time and squad he has at his disposal are at best below average to poor.

I'm not yet calling for his head outright but do believe a change of manager/staff if made, would result in an improvement. It's difficult to see how a change could make it any worse at any rate!

Someone asked who could replace him? My answer is easy. Who was SP in the first place? Is anyone seriously doubting there are no better candidates available and willing out there?

But like I said it's easy to throw sticks and stones but what would you want SP to do in order to start getting better results consistently with the players we have? Those who answered that so far I tend to agree with.

All but sailed? I think you will find it hit a great big fook off iceberg way before Christmas.

Noggin

Do we really think Pressley knows less about football than some random 8 year old in the school playground? because really thats what some people are accusing him of. Do we think he doesn't know that generally it's best to play players in their best positions? do we think he can't see which areas of the squad are weak. do we think he can't tell when the team are playing badly? do we think some how hes been able to trick multiple clubs into signing him when he wouldn't even do well in football manager on the pc?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Do we really think Pressley knows less about football than some random 8 year old in the school playground? because really thats what some people are accusing him of. Do we think he doesn't know that generally it's best to play players in their best positions? do we think he can't see which areas of the squad are weak. do we think he can't tell when the team are playing badly?
Yes, I now genuinely believe we would be in a better position if we had no manager at all.

eastwoodsdustman

Do we really think Pressley knows less about football than some random 8 year old in the school playground? because really thats what some people are accusing him of. Do we think he doesn't know that generally it's best to play players in their best positions? do we think he can't see which areas of the squad are weak. do we think he can't tell when the team are playing badly? do we think some how hes been able to trick multiple clubs into signing him when he wouldn't even do well in football manager on the pc?

Players clearly aren't comfortable or happy playing his 'system' and so he needs to change it to get the best out of the players he has.

albatross

I think that the CCFC job would be a very attractive to proposition to many managers out there. If you fail then you could hardly be expected to succeed given the constraints , if you succeed you are a hero and your stock will be sky High.

Realistically the club cannot fall much further but for any truly ambitious young manager there is the chance to turn 6,000 crowds to 30,000. The opportunity to play in one of the best stadiums outside of the Premier league and a big supporter base which is craving any little success.

Lets look at Brentford as an example do they have more potential than us?

Obviously not this season though

Noggin

Players clearly aren't comfortable or happy playing his 'system' and so he needs to change it to get the best out of the players he has.

I have no issues with people thinking he isn't getting the best of the players, that perhaps they don't like him/the way he plays, that he's lost the dressing room, that he can't motivate this bunch of players, maybe those are true and maybe they aren't, but they are reasonable.

I just can't understand where people are coming from when they talk about playing players out of position because they have to believe that Presley is an utter moron not to know that ideally you play Nouble upfront. You can either assume Pressley knows the squads abilities and that he has good reasons or you can assume he knows less about football than any child. When signing our millionth forward player we can either assume presley has no idea whatsoever about the weak points of the squad or we can assume that all he can do is sign the players that are made available to him, when he praises the team after a poor performance we can either assume he's trying to motivate the team (which has scientific backing) or we can assume he knows nothing about football/watched a different game than everyone else.

Noggin

I think that the CCFC job would be a very attractive to proposition to many managers out there. If you fail then you could hardly be expected to succeed given the constraints , if you succeed you are a hero and your stock will be sky High.

Seems to me that the majority are absolutely expecting Pressley to succeed despite the constraints.

Realistically the club cannot fall much further but for any truly ambitious young manager there is the chance to turn 6,000 crowds to 30,000. The opportunity to play in one of the best stadiums outside of the Premier league and a big supporter base which is craving any little success.

What makes you believe it's realistic to think the club can't fall much further? relegation is extremely possible, next season we are likely to lose a couple of thousand off the crowd (even without relegation, much more with) we are going to lose the majority of our squad in the summer and will have to recruit say 13 players under massive constraints, if we got relegated we'd likely have mid table league 2 attendances with much higher costs, while runner runner relegtions are unlikely it's easy to see how we could continue to fall into the conference if we fail at bouncing straight back.

Nick

Administrator
Seems to me that the majority are absolutely expecting Pressley to succeed despite the constraints.

I don't think many expect 2nd in the league, I think many expect much better than where we are. It depends what you class as succeed.

What constraints does he have compared to most other League 1 clubs? I say most because some do have bigger budgets.

covcity4life

no matter how shit sisu, council and the squad are, the team is still better than one place above the relegation zone.

pressley is doing a poor job.

Noggin

I don't think many expect 2nd in the league, I think many expect much better than where we are. It depends what you class as succeed.

Sure but my post was in response to the comment that a new manager would basically be in a no lose position because if you fail thats expected, I don't think thats true as we can see from how the majority feel about Pressley failing.

What constraints does he have compared to most other League 1 clubs? I say most because some do have bigger budgets.

Our views on the resources available to Pressley are just very very different. Many people seem to feel that since most signings in this league are free signings that suggests an equivalence I do not, many people seem to feel that because other clubs have quite a few loans that suggests an equivalence I do not.

Nick

Administrator
Our views on the resources available to Pressley are just very very different. Many people seem to feel that since most signings in this league are free signings that suggests an equivalence I do not, many people seem to feel that because other clubs have quite a few loans that suggests an equivalence I do not.

Why not?

albatross

What makes you believe it's realistic to think the club can't fall much further? relegation is extremely possible, next season we are likely to lose a couple of thousand off the crowd (even without relegation, much more with) we are going to lose the majority of our squad in the summer and will have to recruit say 13 players under massive constraints, if we got relegated we'd likely have mid table league 2 attendances with much higher costs, while runner runner relegtions are unlikely it's easy to see how we could continue to fall into the conference if we fail at bouncing straight back.

Noggin, don't disagree with what you say and relegation to league 2 is a distinct possibility there are no guarantees for us but there are two sides to the coin here. Don't think the crowds will be much different either in League 1 playing poorly or league two we are pretty much down to those who will go no matter what.

The point I was trying to make was that as bad as we think it is that at this level it is much much easier to improve and push up the league for play off or promotion than being in the higher leagues. There is the potential for a young manager to make a real go at CCFC. I remember when Alex Ferguson was getting less through the gate than season ticket holders and they were calling for his head.

I am just fed up of looking down, expecting little and getting less at some point someone will rise to the challenge and it will improve. It can't go on.

(just had some M&M's but re-reading this think I must have has some of my mother in law's happy pills)

Users who are viewing this thread