Can we win the league? (1 Viewer)

higgs

Having see our first 6 games and with the squad we have got does anyone still think we will win this league?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bawtryneal

Think we will finish 4 or 5 with this squad.
Defence is good for League 2 so should not concede to many goals.
If they spend big on a striker or attacking creative midfielder in January maybe automatic is possible.

covcity4life

Yes

I would rate us 6 out of 10.so far and we are not too far from top at all

I have faith robins will improve us to at least a 8/10 this season! Minimum!

skybluepm2

I think we will push for the play offs, but whether or not we make is dependent on if we click as well as avoiding injuries and suspensions, adding in a bit of luck along the way. I'm expecting a lot of draws, probably 0-0's unless one of the strikers can start bagging regularly as defensively we look fairly sound.

Moff

Without having a few players who can score regularly, I cant see us winning the league, but obviously would love to be proved wrong.
I hope top four, or if not a successful play offs as I cant comprehend anything less.

no_loyalty

I think we will get promoted via the playoffs, taking 50,000+ fans to Wembley

stupot07

Not enough goals in the squad to win the league. But I think we have enough to get into the play offs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Samo

Not a chance, we have no strikers. Well, no natural goalscorers anyway. You can't win the league if you are relying on goals from midfield. It's another recruitment gaff that will cost us yet another season of mediocrity. We have 2 lifelines... an 18 year old yet to start a league game and the January transfer window.

robbiethemole

so far P6 W3 L2 D1 = 10 points so if we get 10points every 6 games we will have 77 points at the end, is that enough to go up???

just looked at the red card in super slo-mo and Mcdonald runs across behind the attacker and they collide about 2 yards outside the box, and their guy bounces off and rolls into the box, never a card of any colour, just a collision. We should appeal it

devonrich

Best hope is play offs. Suspect we may go on a good run at some point and then people will think it is in the bag and we are indestructible - AKA Gillingham, 2 seasons ago. Then we will have an off game, doom and gloom clouds gather, worst team we have ever had, and we will sink. Final few weeks may give us enough for top 6 but prob end up at about 9th. This will then lead to a summer clear out of half decent players, a new stadium at the local comprehensive school and a potential cup run in the West Midland Northern Paint Pot Tin Trophy.

Otis

We have Robins this time though. I have more faith in him to not let things slip the way they did previously.

I am not at all worried. If we can be in and around the top 6 at the end of Christmas I think we will well bring in a striker if we are still finding goals to be at a premium.

I do also think Ponticelli might well prove to be a super sub at some point in this campaign. He's clearly a natural goalscorer, but as has been said a few times on here, we are not creating enough and that's the biggest problem.

BackRoomRummermill

Yes for sure, I sight Wigan who were promoted the season we beat them at home first day of the season they went up to Champ.

You should be asking this question chap at Christmas. Far too early to say ought.

Just get behind the team we have whenever you can , I will be.

Covstu

Every game is winnable, I don't think there is going to be a runaway leader and there isn't anyone who is a cut above the rest. We are capable of winning the league or at least getting promoted. Need one or two additions in January

st john

It seems to me MR is definitely banking on our defence to get us promoted, which is strange given how we played last time he was here.
I really believe we could score plenty of goals if we changed our style of play but I'm thinking MR thinks this way of playing is what is going to get us promoted.
We are currently above Mansfield and Luton who were predicted to finish the top 2, so can't argue with him at this stage of the season.

Esoterica

Robins has clearly decided that grinding out 1-0s is the way he's getting out this league and he's consequently made ultra defensive selections. It's a pity, I think this squad could win the league if we were set up to attack and crucially would retain the interest of the fanbase at the same time. While many will take scraping 1-0s if it gets us promoted, for me it's not the way I want to see Coventry City competing in L2. We're the biggest club in this league, playing in the best stadium - entertaining attacking football with this squad should be a given rather than scraping over the line.

Super Graham Withey

Robins has clearly decided that grinding out 1-0s is the way he's getting out this league and he's consequently made ultra defensive selections. It's a pity, I think this squad could win the league if we were set up to attack and crucially would retain the interest of the fanbase at the same time. While many will take scraping 1-0s if it gets us promoted, for me it's not the way I want to see Coventry City competing in L2. We're the biggest club in this league, playing in the best stadium - entertaining attacking football with this squad should be a given rather than scraping over the line.
If we get out of this league it will be precisely because Robins has decided that grinding out 1-0s is the way to go. You can't play great football with technically limited players-ask Tony Mowbray.

Esoterica

If we get out of this league it will be precisely because Robins has decided that grinding out 1-0s is the way to go. You can't play great football with technically limited players-ask Tony Mowbray.
It's not Sunday league. Stringing 6 or 7 passes together isn't beyond our technical ability. That Mowbray comparison is just ridiculous - his assembled squad was simply not good enough to compete in L1, whatever type of football they played, as shown when Slade took charge. This squad is very competitive for this level and whenever we have looked good this season is when we've got the ball down and played football.

st john

I'm sure MR would have expected us to score more than we have, despite how we are set up. He says goals will come and hopefully he is right. IMO, collectively our forwards are well good enough for L2

Mucca Mad Boys

We've got to the exact same start as Donny - who bottled it big time - and Pompey were stop start for the first 15. Still to early to tell, but, IF we keep up our defensive form, we will be in top 7, that's almost a guarantee.

st john

Frank Nouble proves a point to me. Would we even have him in our team if we didn't know he has scored 5 goals from 6 games? Ok we were in a division higher when he played for us, but I wasn't impressed. I think McNulty is a better all round player. The reason Nouble has 5 and mcNulty has 1 is just down to circumstances and team tactics IMO.

Gazolba

I'm sure MR would have expected us to score more than we have, despite how we are set up. He says goals will come and hopefully he is right. IMO, collectively our forwards are well good enough for L2
To get promoted they need to be good enough for the division above.

Samo

There is not really such a thing as a natural goalscorer, just good finishers who prosper in the right environment.
We're not creating sufficient chances to write any of the strikers off already.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Split hair. Either one, whatever you want to call them, prosper in the right environment. (obviously) We have neither but I hope McNultty proves me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread