Camera's on mobile phones - looking to upgrade (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Longshot but im due an upgrade from my iPhone 7 (battery life on iPhones has never been any good and this model is no different).

Main quality I want my new handset is the camera - otherwise it just needs to cope with every day use (mainly social media / apps etc, rather than ringing and texting).

Obviously being a bit of a sheep I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the new iPhones, but the tariffs are silly (IMO), especially since im currently paying just short of £16.00 for a sim only plan; moving up to anything any provider offers me is going to be 4 x that atleast!

I had tried the P30 pro, but couldn't get on with its keyboard. maybe I didn't give it much of a chance before sending it back, but again it seemed an expensive handset if I wasn't 100% happy with it.

Other options ive considered is the P30 lite - cheaper alternative but also has 3 cameras and looks relatively decent, although ive not seen any night shots (which seems to be the thing to compare nowadays because of the technology about!). Not entirely sure what the A1 camera's are like? Obviously cheaper than the Leica ones in the other P models?

I do like the Pixel 3, which has amazing night photos.

Anyone any other handsets I should consider? or may be own a P30 Lite and have any night photos to share?

Or do I just admit defeat and pay Apple what I have to?

ajsccfc

I had tried the P30 pro, but couldn't get on with its keyboard..

...Other options ive considered is the P30 lite - cheaper alternative but also has 3 cameras and looks relatively decent, although ive not seen any night shots (which seems to be the thing to compare nowadays because of the technology about!).

I'd split the difference and go with the regular P30, as I understand the camera isn't quite as good as the Pro but I'm absolutely delighted with it. Night and Portrait mode in particular both work like a charm

TTG

Of you want a good camera, Google pixel 3 or 2
If you want good all-around oneplus 6t
If you want samsung go 10e
If I want Apple go fuck yourself (the 11 is so bad for price)

fernandopartridge

I'd split the difference and go with the regular P30, as I understand the camera isn't quite as good as the Pro but I'm absolutely delighted with it. Night and Portrait mode in particular both work like a charm
Yeah the portrait pictures are brilliant aren't they?

ajsccfc

It's absolute witchcraft, it does instantly the kind of thing I'd be farting about for ages in manual settings or post edit to get close to.

Seconded on the battery life too, huge step up over the Galaxy S8 I had previously

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Cameras? Phones? What is this witchcraft you speak of? My mobile handset has no such thing!
g-pa-cell-phone.jpg

RegTheDonk

I've got a Huawei P30, camera is superb as is battery life
What's it like shooting video fernando?
I got a P20 Pro last year because it seemed the best at that time for camera/software.
It gives tremendous photos, but the auto appature adjusts in steps, meaning that videos don't come out very well when you move it around.
Installed FilmicPro which gives manual control, but some of the settings don't work because Huawei is "a bit of a closed shop".
Has the P30 got a bit more manual control when shooting video?

Users who are viewing this thread