Bye bye Villa (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Were there no questions asked when they signed John Terry to play in the championship on silly money?

Losing about 5m a month that their owner needed to fund to keep them going and there were no alarm bells?

They are still getting a £15m parachute payment as well.

Paying players like Micah Richards £35k a week, what was John Terry on?

Otis

Were there no questions asked when they signed John Terry to play in the championship on silly money?

Losing about 5m a month that their owner needed to fund to keep them going and there were no alarm bells?

Absolute madness.

Seems like it was Premier league or bust for them.

Must have been convinced they would go straight back up.

fernandopartridge

It shows what a toothless joke FFP is, they've been bankrolled at £5m a month for nearly 2 years. I don't have much sympathy for them, football won't learn any lessons while the PL is in its TV money bubble.

Nick

Administrator
It shows what a toothless joke FFP is, they've been bankrolled at £5m a month for nearly 2 years. I don't have much sympathy for them, football won't learn any lessons while the PL is in its TV money bubble.

Exactly, it's another case of an owner pumping some money in and then getting bored. It's like Leyton Orient but on a bigger scale, he was paying players 5 figures and the gamble didn't work.

Ross McCormack was also apparently on £45k a WEEK. It's madness.

clint van damme

Exactly, it's another case of an owner pumping some money in and then getting bored. It's like Leyton Orient but on a bigger scale, he was paying players 5 figures and the gamble didn't work.

Ross McCormack was also apparently on £45k a WEEK. It's madness.

and they played him out of position!

Liquid Gold

I can see it from the owners perspective. Give me a few million a month and we will be in the untold riches of the premier league but the CEO should be saying hang on there is a chance we might not make it. Lets not fuck ourselves for just this season.

Nick

Administrator
I can see it from the owners perspective. Give me a few million a month and we will be in the untold riches of the premier league but the CEO should be saying hang on there is a chance we might not make it. Lets not fuck ourselves for just this season.

Sounds like they were that cocky it wasn't an option to be in the Championship next season.

Now the owner doesn't want to fund it for another year so it will need to be a firesale of players and balance the books.

rondog1973

And to think for years they used to bleat about how Doug Ellis was keeping them from being world beaters.

Gone tits up since he left really....

JimmyHillsbeard

Agree with most of this except I *do* feel sorry for most of their fans. And the craziest thing is the stupid stupid shit or bust business model very nearly worked out. A lucky deflected equaliser and a penalty shootout victory and Bernard Cribbins is a tactical genius and the owner is the wise and benevolent despot.

No one likes our owners but no scenario is so bad that it can’t be made worse.

dazed&confused

Sounds like they were that cocky it wasn't an option to be in the Championship next season.

Now the owner doesn't want to fund it for another year so it will need to be a firesale of players and balance the books.

I'm not sure the first part of your second statement is true. New regulations brought in by the Chinese government late last year in theory now severely restrict the ways in which Chinese companies and Chinese individuals can invest their money in overseas assets. And I think the Villa owner has been caught up in this. I've been doing some work with a Chinese company who are in a similar position - although not football related - and for some time there have been all sorts of negotiations going on behind the scenes in a so far fruitless attempt to get money out of China
Investing in the future: China sets new rules for deal makers

Last edited:

singers_pore

Exactly, it's another case of an owner pumping some money in and then getting bored.

No it's not. The owner wants to pump more money in but he can't because of currency movement restrictions imposed by the Chinese government last year. That's also had a major impact on property prices where I live because 70% of buyers were coming from China until recently.

Nick

Administrator
No it's not. The owner wants to pump more money in but he can't because of currency movement restrictions imposed by the Chinese government last year. That's also had a major impact on property prices where I live because 70% of buyers were coming from China until recently.

Surely he would find a way around it? He will have to bring some of his business over to the UK or something.

singers_pore

Surely he would find a way around it? He will have to bring some of his business over to the UK or something.

No it's impossible. My wife is Chinese and her brother is a top executive over there. There is no way of taking large sums of cash out of that country. I have property in China and I can't sell up and move the cash here for the same reason.

Nick

Administrator
No it's impossible. My wife is Chinese and her brother is a top executive over there. There is no way of taking large sums of cash out of that country. I have property in China and I can't sell up and move the cash here for the same reason.

I stand corrected :)

What happens if people are importing and buying things abroad?

Covstu

Paying players like Micah Richards £35k a week, what was John Terry on?
JT was on 60k per week apparently

singers_pore

I stand corrected :)

What happens if people are importing and buying things abroad?

Exports/imports of products are unaffected. It's transfers of financial assets (cash, financial instruments, gold etc) that are affected. There are cleverer people than me who have tried to figure out a way round the embargo. In fact we were taking cash out of China (illegally) up to one year ago which is when they had the clamp down. My brother in law managed to move a load of cash just before that happened and he used the cash to buy a condo in Portugal. Now all the remaining cash is locked up in China.

Nick

Administrator
Exports/imports of products are unaffected. It's transfers of financial assets (cash, financial instruments, gold etc) that are affected. There are cleverer people than me who have tried to figure out a way round the embargo. In fact we were taking cash out of China (illegally) up to one year ago which is when they had the clamp down. My brother in law managed to move a load of cash just before that happened and he used the cash to buy a condo in Portugal. Now all the remaining cash is locked up in China.

It just needs a chinese sunday league team to buy a villa player for £100m ;)

singers_pore

It just needs a chinese sunday league team to buy a villa player for £100m ;)

The Chinese government is not daft (unlike ours). They are wise to that sort of thing. The Chinese are the olympic champions when it comes to dreaming up imaginative fraud schemes.

Otis

I just ordered a Funko Pocket Pop Eleven from China. Are you telling me it's now not going to come?

41tgsPrMEfL.jpg

Nick

Administrator
The Chinese government is not daft (unlike ours). They are wise to that sort of thing. The Chinese are the olympic champions when it comes to dreaming up imaginative fraud schemes.

Not even if my cousin wants to give them £100m but he doesn't have a bank account, so if they send me £5m to open an account he can put it there and send them back £10m once it's done?

ccfcway

parachute payments should be capped and ringfenced for wages for players still registered at the club when relegated. All it does at present is fund a huge push to get back to the prem at 1st attempt

Gazolba

What is the origin of all this hate for Aston Villa? I'd root for a MIdlands team any day over a team from London.
Aston Villa have a historical record to be very proud of.
Quote from Wikipedia:
"Aston Villa are one of only five English clubs to have won the European Cup, in 1981–82. They have also won the Football League First Division seven times, the FA Cup seven times, the League Cup five times, and the UEFA Super Cup once."

SkyblueBazza

What is the origin of all this hate for Aston Villa? I'd root for a MIdlands team any day over a team from London.
Aston Villa have a historical record to be very proud of.
Quote from Wikipedia:
"Aston Villa are one of only five English clubs to have won the European Cup, in 1981–82. They have also won the Football League First Division seven times, the FA Cup seven times, the League Cup five times, and the UEFA Super Cup once."
It's called payback to the many Vile fans I know who revelled in every misfortune of CCFC & 'Lorded' it over me on the back of their history when when we won in '87.
Wouldn't like them to go under...but a good dose of humiliation right back at them I have no problem with whatsoever

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Westendlad

It's called payback to the many Vile fans I know who revelled in every misfortune of CCFC & 'Lorded' it over me on the back of their history when when we won in '87.
Wouldn't like them to go under...but a good dose of humiliation right back at them I have no problem with whatsoever

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Some of the 'older' city will know but i remember the hatred in the late 70's.......Supporting the villa was just a no no..

Users who are viewing this thread