buying and selling a house (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Well after a very stressful time I can firstly say Im very proud of my daughter who has managed to seem unaffected by the entire saga and has been getting excellent results in her tests prior to her sats
It's amazing how resilient kids can be although a months subscription to Netflix has helped
After some negotiation we get the keys next week
Well done

Is it the original one or a new one

Sky_Blue_Daz

The original one, she contacted us a few days after it fell through she apologized, for all the stress she caused and said she had accepted some bad advice from her friends
Initially I wanted to tell her to stick it, but then we'd be cutting our nose off to spite our face because we would have to pay for searches, survays and reapply for a mortgage
Will be worth it in the end

skybluetony176

Last time we moved my wife wanted to take all the unopened boxes that were still in the garage from the previous move 3 years earlier. I said yes and then just binned them. 3 years now in the current house and she hasn't asked me once where they are.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got the keys Friday, she left the place in a bit of a state
But onwards and upwards

Bantam48

Lost me dear old Mum a few days ago now faced with selling the old childhood home. Any advice on decent estate agents (ARE there any?). Heard good things about Purple Bricks. Many, many years since doing anything like this so a bit rusty. One thing I may insist on on is refusing to deal with anyone in a chain.

Glad you got sorted Daz.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Sorry to hear that bantam
Keep strong mate

RedSalmon

Lost me dear old Mum a few days ago now faced with selling the old childhood home. Any advice on decent estate agents (ARE there any?). Heard good things about Purple Bricks. Many, many years since doing anything like this so a bit rusty. One thing I may insist on on is refusing to deal with anyone in a chain.

Glad you got sorted Daz.

Sorry to hear your news Bantam. Instead of selling have you considered renting the property out instead?

hotrod

: buying and selling a house

Do NOT rent out your property. if it is not Estate Agents not doing the job they have been paid for it is Tenants who are allowed to get away with wrecking your property and not being penalized by the Tenants Deposit Service.

Regards.

RedSalmon

Renting a property now that was owned by an elderly relative. Agents identified the tennents and we decided who we were going to rent to. Provided you get the right people and not some fly by nights it can be very easy. Once a year arrange the Land Lords certificate and make sure any repairs are sorted.

The plus side is you retain the asset (the house) and get a monthly payment (the rent) and the asset appreciates. The key is getting tennants you can trust. Remeber if you sell there will be costs form the legals and estate agents, and while it remains empty it can be seen as a probate sale which usually get lower offers.

When we did it I was genuinely suprised how easy it was.

wingy

Glad you got it over the line in the end Daz
Loads on the market round by me
Prices seem to have slipoed a couple of percent as following all the leaflets persuaded 12-15 to put them on the market post Christmas

Bantam48

Renting a property now that was owned by an elderly relative. Agents identified the tennents and we decided who we were going to rent to. Provided you get the right people and not some fly by nights it can be very easy. Once a year arrange the Land Lords certificate and make sure any repairs are sorted.

The plus side is you retain the asset (the house) and get a monthly payment (the rent) and the asset appreciates. The key is getting tennants you can trust. Remeber if you sell there will be costs form the legals and estate agents, and while it remains empty it can be seen as a probate sale which usually get lower offers.

When we did it I was genuinely suprised how easy it was.

Have been advised ours has to go probate. Does that mean we can't sell in the normal way?

NorthernWisdom

Have been advised ours has to go probate. Does that mean we can't sell in the normal way?

It's more that if Johnny-comes-lately views the house, they'll see it as unneeded and wanted to be got rid of (which tbf, I'm guessing you might want to, depending on how you deal with memories?) which then encourages people to make lower offers/gazunder later down the line.

Anyway, hard to recommend estate agents isn't it, as they're all much of a muchness ;) DO NOT USE CONNELLS apparently.

The ones I bought from seemed actually rather good... but whether that was because they saw a chance to fleece me who knows, and who knows what the seller thought!

Last edited:

chiefdave

One thing to remember when picking an estate agent is a lower fee is not necessarily better. If they're making less money off selling your house they'll be less motivated to get on with it and get it sold.

RedSalmon

My understanding with regard to a probate sale is pretty much as described above by NW. if the house needs a bit of refurbishment ie new kitchen, bathroom, carpets, heating and windows then they will try and knock you down. We were lucky with the house we rent out as although the spec was not right up there, it was ,more than serviceable and nothing really needed doing.

Have heard Connells are to avoided also.

Bantam48

It's more that if Johnny-comes-lately views the house, they'll see it as unneeded and wanted to be got rid of (which tbf, I'm guessing you might want to, depending on how you deal with memories?) which then encourages people to make lower offers/gazunder later down the line.

Anyway, hard to recommend estate agents isn't it, as they're all much of a muchness ;) DO NOT USE CONNELLS apparently.

The ones I bought from seemed actually rather good... but whether that was because they saw a chance to fleece me who knows, and who knows what the seller thought!

OK NW, the nearly naked guy in the thong didn't look like any estate agent I'D want use! :eek:

Grendel

All properties go to probate. Not daunting.

Have you the deeds? Is there any outstanding mortgage? If you haven't got the deeds and the mortgage is with a building society there is normally an outstanding balance to pay.

Is there a will? Not a problem if not

If you want help to guide you PM me.

Bantam48

All properties go to probate. Not daunting.

Have you the deeds? Is there any outstanding mortgage? If you haven't got the deeds and the mortgage is with a building society there is normally an outstanding balance to pay.

Is there a will? Not a problem if not

If you want help to guide you PM me.

Ta Grendel. All deeds held. No mortgage. Just ready to go and then split between Sister and I as per will.

Users who are viewing this thread