Butts park arena? (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

JS confirmed that he has been having talks with Coventry City

Some people on here will owe Les Reid an apology. He does seem to have an annoying habit of turning out to be right after everyone has laughed at him for making things up.

there hasn’t been the political will for this to happen before

Well that's a surprise isn't it.

Wasps originally made all sorts of promises but nothing has come of them so far.

Equally surprising.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I certainly didn't think it could be done on that site because of the parking and traffic issues. If it can its a good idea and I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong. Still not convinced that it will happen though, very long way to go and the time frame is not necessarily that short

Couple of questions

Jon Sharp in the CT article talks about a 5G pitch being necessary. I didn't think 5G pitches were allowed in the FL let alone the Premiership?

Same article goes on about football crowds but then says CCFC would only train there ( I assume linking to 5G pitch) seems to contradict?

I think the council seeking to block with a restrictive covenant is just plain wrong (unless there are proper reasons to do so ie not just because it is CCFC)

Finally good luck to CRFC partnering up with SISU

Nick

Administrator
Presumably the Council have no "interest" to protect, as they no longer own any part of the Ricoh. On that basis, I would have thought their application for a restrictive covenant could be regarded as contrary to competition law.

Their interest in Wasps?

clint van damme

Bournemouth's record ever crowd though is 28,000. Traditionally they have not been as well supported as Coventry City.

Also, correct me if I am wrong here but haven't they been saying they desperately need to increase their capacity?

15,000 would not be enough for us for big games. Not nearly enough.

Had we made the playoffs this season we would have easily got over 20,000 for any one of the games against either Walsall, or Bradford, or Millwall or Barnsley.

Big cup game, close to 30,000 and if we had a 15,000 stadium I would say that would be very much lacking ambition for the future and would very much be only a short term fix.

They make up for the lack of capacity with a billionaire investor, wonder if the rugby club could throw one in for us.

Grendel

Presumably the Council have no "interest" to protect, as they no longer own any part of the Ricoh. On that basis, I would have thought their application for a restrictive covenant could be regarded as contrary to competition law.

Agreed - I see another court case coming along.

SkyBlueZack

I'm all for it. It would be great for both clubs to become successful by working together. Oh and yes it would be sticking two fingers up at the council. It would be doing that because of the councils spiteful actions in endangering the cities two traditional sporting clubs.

Oh and anyone else care to explain why Wasps haven't delivered on their promises to assist CRFC?

robbiethemole

The main obstacle I can see is 'financial assistance from ccfc owners'. Didn't think SISU/ Otium/ Joy were putting anymore money into the Club. Who would do deal with them given their past record?

ccfcway

Ciu_iqIWgAAkuEQ.jpg

I have always maintained, if that pitch is rotated approx. 30 degrees clockwise, there would be ample room for a sisu sized stadium

chiefdave

We can exclusively reveal today the council wrote to Cov rugby club in January seeking to block the proposal with a legal clause – a restrictive covenant – to prevent professional football being played at a redeveloped Butts Park Arena stadium – so the council could “protect its position”.

I'm really struggling to see a valid reason for this. Think we need an explanation from the council.

What I don't get is that they say "It is important that the club continues to work towards securing it's (sic) long-term future".
They have always said that the only way to achieve long-term financial viability is to own their own stadium, but Cov Rugby seem to be saying that they themselves would remain owners, and the Sky Blues would be tenants.

Anderson has been saying all options will be considered not just ownership.

Covstu

For me as much as I would love to get out of the Ricoh and see the insects fly on their own, this move doesn't make sense. If we are talking 15,000, this is fine for league one if we intend to stay there but if we have any ambition we would quickly grow out of it. I think a stadium closer to town would attract more but again the significant drop in fans has severely limited our options here. At the moment we are only 12k max but then we have to factor in the 'woodwork' people who come out when the team do well which unfortunately this arrangement will not work.
I think if we could guarantee a 25k stadium (comfortably) then I would be all for it. Clearly we need joint ownership on this one rather than the current proposal as there is no point in moving from one rental to another surely?

covcity4life

fuck the council

19k stadium could work i guess but its not next to my house so i vote no lol

hope this is to put pressure on wasps to give up 50% of drinks and food on matchdays or something

chiefdave

I have always maintained, if that pitch is rotated approx. 30 degrees clockwise, there would be ample room for a sisu sized stadium

Posted a couple of pics on the old Butts thread cutting other stadiums out from Google Maps and moving them to the Butts site. It could be done, it would be tight but thats what architects are for.

chiefdave

I know we all, understandably, default to things like this being BS as SISU are involved but maybe this is the time for some positivity. Things are looking up on the playing side and there seems to be more long term planning.

Why not get behind this and put pressure on the likes of SISU and CCC to do some good for the club?

SkyBlueZack

I imagine it would also enable fans to be closer to the pitch, which IMO would create a better atmosphere. More hostile, somewhere opposition teams don't want to come. The usual lot will say it won't work and the usual who would work with SISU line. Thing is CRFC have engaged in talks so they don't seem to have a problem with SISU.

Nick

Administrator
But then it was Cov Rugby who started it all off with their meeting / going to the press rather than SISU wasn't it ?

Nick

Administrator
I imagine it would also enable fans to be closer to the pitch, which IMO would create a better atmosphere. More hostile, somewhere opposition teams don't want to come. The usual lot will say it won't work and the usual who would work with SISU line. Thing is CRFC have engaged in talks so they don't seem to have a problem with SISU.

I do like some away grounds, Blackpool for example with thousands of fans in that wooden terrace right next to the pitch!

Nick

Administrator
I reckon they would seek investment for things like naming rights as well wouldn't they to go towards the build / work?

Senior Vick from Alicante

Cant see it happening. You would have to get some kind of infrastructure plan that meets central government approval for traffic an such like. The direct access would be from the Ring road so how would they get past that hurdle to start with. The mistrust runs that deep between the Council and Sisu that nothing will ever get accepted while the club is controlled by JS. If your going to build a ground then the Government want it built on brown land sights or out of town this will all make it a non starter surely? If JS wants a ground they need to find somewhere in the surrounding area and tell CCC to go and do one, the fact that council wont cooperate will force the Football League to change their view and let something happen in the immediate area. I am not a politician, I like everything black and white so I know where I stand. As far as CCC goes this is another justification as to why councils should have equal numbers of men and women from the main partys voted on to councils rather than being controlled by one party or the other. Party politics are controlling what local Councils do rather than cross party agreements that benefit the city and its people. The Council would rather let the Rugby club hang out to dry than try and make a sustainable future for itself, I am sure though that if the university was looking to level it all and build student accommodation then it would sale through planning. Sorry if this upsets posters but if you are going to build your own ground, do it where your welcome and where your wanted! PUSB

Nick

Administrator
Cant see it happening. You would have to get some kind of infrastructure plan that meets central government approval for traffic an such like. The direct access would be from the Ring road so how would they get past that hurdle to start with. The mistrust runs that deep between the Council and Sisu that nothing will ever get accepted while the club is controlled by JS. If your going to build a ground then the Government want it built on brown land sights or out of town this will all make it a non starter surely? If JS wants a ground they need to find somewhere in the surrounding area and tell CCC to go and do one, the fact that council wont cooperate will force the Football League to change their view and let something happen in the immediate area. I am not a politician, I like everything black and white so I know where I stand. As far as CCC goes this is another justification as to why councils should have equal numbers of men and women from the main partys voted on to councils rather than being controlled by one party or the other. Party politics are controlling what local Councils do rather than cross party agreements that benefit the city and its people. The Council would rather let the Rugby club hang out to dry than try and make a sustainable future for itself, I am sure though that if the university was looking to level it all and build student accommodation then it would sale through planning. Sorry if this upsets posters but if you are going to build your own ground, do it where your welcome and where your wanted! PUSB

Haven't they already got planning for the ground / 15000?

torchomatic

What if we spend a fortune in CV1 and then they sink ??

Who cares. Let the Council find someone else. They seem pretty good at it, to be fair.

Covstu

I would rather protect CRFC than Wasps so a joint venture isn't a bad thing. We need something to protect a long term future for the club, the Ricoh is slowly being turned Yellow and wont be long until we walk into a black and yellow seated stadium, this is when more people stop going.
It would be interesting to see how people's loyalties split if Wasps play on a Saturday and we played at the Butts? I assume they would have to keep it the same as the current arrangement due to policing etc??

SkyBlue_Bear83

CCFC have now released an official statement.
What I don't get is that they say "It is important that the club continues to work towards securing it's (sic) long-term future".
They have always said that the only way to achieve long-term financial viability is to own their own stadium, but Cov Rugby seem to be saying that they themselves would remain owners, and the Sky Blues would be tenants.
Coventry sporting clubs sounds as if both clubs could end up under the same ownership umbrella. Maybe we could see a new stadium management company born similar to how acl run the ricoh with both CCFC and CRFC having a stake in the new management company.

rupert_bear

Perfect location, central, well served by various bus routes, short walk from the station and loads of watering holes nearby but for me i just hope our beloved council give a thumbs up and call this sisu bluff, as said earlier they could of acquired the Ricoh for just over £6million yet seem happy to pay what ? 20/30 million to "own" our own stadium ?

Grendel

They claim to already have planning permission you dope.

Nick

Administrator
Perfect location, central, well served by various bus routes, short walk from the station and loads of watering holes nearby but for me the just hope our beloved council give a thumbs up and call this sisu bluff, as said earlier they could of acquired the Ricoh for just over £6million yet seem happy to pay what ? 20/30 million to "own" our own stadium ?

But why would the Rugby Club be talking about it if it was a SISU bluff? What would be in it for them?

I agree though, would be good to hear the council's take on it!

Users who are viewing this thread