Butts park arena? (2 Viewers)

torchomatic

Maybe we can give them the Ricoh in exchange when Wasps are asleep and we have theirs :)

Maybe Bournemouth can move here for "business reasons". Not sure about you but I would love to see "top class" football in the City.

Rodders1

I've mentioned this numerous times ....... But IF SISU are interested in a butts park move, then the rugby club and football club should seriously consider applying for SAFE STANDING.

I think Celtic want to do it. We could see if we could do it also. Would drive the capacity up to appease the potential prem promotion, not dampen the ambition of the club. Also imagine the atmosphere in a tight 30000 stadium with fans on a terrace. This could be the answer to the smaller plot of land available. A unique stadium also - one to be proud of.

Nick

Administrator
I've mentioned this numerous times ....... But IF SISU are interested in a butts park move, then the rugby club and football club should seriously consider applying for SAFE STANDING.

I think Celtic want to do it. We could see if we could do it also. Would drive the capacity up to appease the potential prem promotion, not dampen the ambition of the club. Also imagine the atmosphere in a tight 30000 stadium with fans on a terrace. This could be the answer to the smaller plot of land available. A unique stadium also - one to be proud of.
Celtic are doing it, seats currently being ripped out

SkyBlueHomer

Here you go..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33061483

chiefdave

It would certainly make sense to at the very least make it very easy and cheap to convert at a later date.

dongonzalos

Yes, I was being ridiculous, of course. However, I also think comments along the lines of “if the stadium isn’t at least 30K then it shows a lack of ambition” are equally ridiculous.

This could, potentially, be a great move for Coventry City yet fans are already moaning as it is smaller than the Ricoh; you know the ground where stands have to be closed because we can’t fill it.

How many times have we genuinely needed a full capacity Ricoh in the eleven years we’ve been there? Two or three occasions I would say.

A larger capacity isn’t a bad thing but neither is a smaller one in my opinion. 15K would be a good start and could be increased over time IF we needed it too.

People talk about finance and surely building a stadium that is too big and therefore more expensive is hardly being prudent, is it? Surely, we should expand if and when we need to and if we can afford it. If not, we’ll be rattling around inside like we are at the Ricoh.

I don’t think I’m being pessimistic as opposed to optimistic by saying this. You say build it all now as we might be in the Prem. Yes, we might, and we might not. We’ve spent shedloads of cash we couldn’t afford in the past and look where it has got us.

You’re right it has to be expandable and indications are it would be, so I really can’t understand all the negativity. Then again, if it wasn’t the capacity, it would be something else.

Why is it ridiculous to expect a 30k stadium in this day and age.
If you have no aspiration to be in the premiership that's your call but don't dismiss those of us who do as riddiculous.
Swansea have been held up as an example of why you don't need a 30k stadium.
They currently have 8000 people waiting to get season tickets.
They have had planning permission for two years to become a 30k stadium and have not done it yet! Even with the waiting list. That is very worrying.
This modular idea concerns me.
It is not cheap to just keep on expanding and there are lots of hurdles to overcome.
It's not just a case of we are promoted so let's expand.
There will have had to have been lots of matches where fans miss out before the expansion gets agreed then you have to wait for it to happen.
15k is definitely not enough.
SISU are adamant we are going for the championship so why isn't the first build going to be 18k.
25k max will also not be enough in the premiership.
I love the Butts location. It is far far better for me personally.
However I am really concerned about this modular idea.
You may think we'll I am a season ticket holder so I will always get there.
However a lot changes in life for people in many ways they can never predict. You may find one day a season ticket may not be possible for you.
You may find yourself not able to get a ticket for the skyblues on a normal Saturday
Which is a very very realistic proposition in 15k stadium.
We should be lobbying to club to have the first build as 18-21k.
However despite that we will be in that same boat in the premiership even if we get 25k

martcov

If you have no aspiration to be in the premiership that's your call but don't dismiss those of us who do as riddiculous.
They have had planning permission for two years to become a 30k stadium and have not done it yet! Even with the waiting list. That is very worrying.
It is not cheap to just keep on expanding and there are lots of hurdles to overcome.
There will have had to have been lots of matches where fans miss out before the expansion gets agreed then you have to wait for it to happen.
SISU are adamant we are going for the championship so why isn't the first build going to be 18k.
However a lot changes in life for people in many ways they can never predict. You may find one day a season ticket may not be possible for you.
You may find yourself not able to get a ticket for the skyblues on a normal Saturday
However despite that we will be in that same boat in the premiership even if we get 25k

We may have to go to BPA whether we or SISU like it or not when the next 2 year extension ends at the Ricoh. Any other club in a 15000 ground, and either in or within a chance of getting into the premier league, would be looking at options to increase capacity. IF we ever get into that position ( theoretically possible in 2 years), then we would probably be looking at our next move/ stadium investment. Even if we end up at the BPA the story isn't at an end ( hopefully).

Nick

Administrator
We may have to go to BPA whether we or SISU like it or not when the next 2 year extension ends at the Ricoh. Any other club in a 15000 ground, and either in or within a chance of getting into the premier league, would be looking at options to increase capacity. IF we ever get into that position ( theoretically possible in 2 years), then we would probably be looking at our next move/ stadium investment. Even if we end up at the BPA the story isn't at an end ( hopefully).
Surely sisu must be great owners of we are so close to getting into the premier league?

One minute they are the worst owners stopping us from going to the championship and now we will be in the premier league within a couple of seasons.

If we have this chance if premier league I expect the ricoh full every game.

martcov

Surely sisu must be great owners of we are so close to getting into the premier league?

One minute they are the worst owners stopping us from going to the championship and now we will be in the premier league within a couple of seasons.

If we have this chance if premier league I expect the ricoh full every game.

I used the word "theoretically" - I know you know what that means. Theoretically we could get to the premiership under new ownership- there is no implication that future success has to come via SISU.

torchomatic

I used the word "theoretically" - I know you know what that means. Theoretically we could get to the premiership under new ownership- there is no implication that future success has to come via SISU.
And what's the chance of new owners whilst renting at the Ricoh?

What's going to attract someone?

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

Otis

Has anyone said they have no aspiration to be in the PL? Maybe we have no option that allows for that.

I think the bottom line, Dave is, people are saying let's not build a League One stadium that's going to be stuck in League One.

15,000 is fine for us now, but if we are to build a new stadium we need to look to build for a long term future.

chiefdave

I think the bottom line, Dave is, people are saying let's not build a League One stadium that's going to be stuck in League One.
But the point people seem to be missing is we're not in a great position currently. People are banging on about what happens when we get in the PL but staying at the Ricoh we have virtually no chance of getting in the PL.
If, when all the options are examined, the Butts is the best option to put the club on a solid footing then surely you do that. If in ten years time its too small and we need to look at moving to a 50K stadium then so be it. At that point we will be a successful team doing a lot for the city so you would hope would get more support from the likes of the council.
People are talking like we're marching to the PL and this will stop us in our tracks.

martcov

18,000 start which is easily expandable to 25,000 would be fine
I suspect that although there will claims that the BPA can be expanded to 25000 - as a reaction to fans comments - the reality is that we will be lucky to get a 15000 stadium by the time the Wasps extension runs out.

martcov

But the point people seem to be missing is we're not in a great position currently. People are banging on about what happens when we get in the PL but staying at the Ricoh we have virtually no chance of getting in the PL.
If, when all the options are examined, the Butts is the best option to put the club on a solid footing then surely you do that. If in ten years time its too small and we need to look at moving to a 50K stadium then so be it. At that point we will be a successful team doing a lot for the city so you would hope would get more support from the likes of the council.
People are talking like we're marching to the PL and this will stop us in our tracks.

Maybe they are worried that the investment goes into the smaller stadium as a last resort, and delays anything more ambitious. The reality is that we may not have any choice. Whereas the council may well also think that a successful team is beneficial to the city, we are still at war. These things come with the peace - whenever that comes. By the looks of things peace is getting further away, not nearer.

Samo

That is a bloody good call!

Samo

We are going to need to see if skybluekid will be happy with standing areas first though. He might not turn up if he isn't.
He won't anyway. :eek:

Samo

I don't remember HR packed to the rafters with people locked outside.

torchomatic

I suspect that although there will claims that the BPA can be expanded to 25000 - as a reaction to fans comments - the reality is that we will be lucky to get a 15000 stadium by the time the Wasps extension runs out.
Well thanks to Anne we only have 248 more years to wait. Doesn't time fly.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

The Gentleman

Everyone has their own ideas and opinions but I genuinely think you need to take a couple of days off from here. There's a fella.

Just Italia? I reckon that could apply to quite a few on this forum. I cannot believe how often some on here post, Have they nothing better to do with their lives?

Otis

So you want us to build two stadiums? Brilliant!!

Where's all the money coming for this then?

If the Butts was ready now as a 15,000 seater stadium then I would say fine, let's go there, but we are talking tens of millions and at least two years to even get to the stage of 15,000.

Would you seriously want those multi millions shelled out, for then maybe within 10 years having to go through the process all again?

Why not get it right first time? Let's trying and get the council backing us, meanwhile, Sisu should drop the court cases and work with Wasps for as long as it takes until we are in a position to find a secure home not just for 10 years, but for the next 100.

chiefdave

delays anything more ambitious
I think that's a mindset people need to use. If there was a realistic option on the table, or even in the distance, that could match people PL ambitions then great but there isn't.

We have to make the best choice out of the options available to us, just wishing there was a better option doesn't move us forward in the slightest.

Users who are viewing this thread