Butts park arena? (6 Viewers)

martcov

Exactly, there's no reason talks can't take place. Then if and when it gets to a stage that things are ready to really start moving forward thats the point for dropping legal action.

Just saying we're not even talking to you unless you drop all action is foolish and shows continued refusal to help the club on the part of CCC.
No-one can say drop the action and you will get whatever you want. SISU are the ones pursuing the JR. The CCC block is a show of force that they too can be cunts. The CCC don't need to talk to SISU. It's up to SISU to come to CCC as they are the local authority and the freeholders. If SISU

martcov

If SISU and the Rugby Club have a plan they have to present it to CCC. They can hardly ask for the outcome to be decided against them dropping the JR. JR2 doesn't look good for them anyway.

stupot07

How about get a big enough stadium
Get the most fans we can get maximise profits and atmosphere for the team and you don't need the 'tough' bit
25ks big enough, and even at 30k there would be people that would miss out for the odd big game, or do you think we should go bigger, perhaps 40k in the off chance we might get into the champions league.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stupot07

Short to medium term we could be better off at the Ricoh. 100000 rent is peauts and we avoid the investment and running costs of a stadium. Long Term we need a stadium which we control and which is part of an investment which allows us to obtain more revenue than Investment and running costs. The Butts site is compact and to have facilities which bring in large revenues you will have to build upwards, downwards or across roads and a park. Without the power of the council nothing is going to happen. Going ahead with JR2 is just stupid - if SISU is serious about the Butts.
Obviously short to medium term we will have to stay at the Ricoh, however, I wish people would stop presuming that the rent will stay as low as it is now, and we do pay for the running costs of the stadium, that's a matchday costs which are about £250k pa

torchomatic

Short to medium term we could be better off at the Ricoh. 100000 rent is peauts and we avoid the investment and running costs of a stadium. Long Term we need a stadium which we control and which is part of an investment which allows us to obtain more revenue than Investment and running costs. The Butts site is compact and to have facilities which bring in large revenues you will have to build upwards, downwards or across roads and a park. Without the power of the council nothing is going to happen. Going ahead with JR2 is just stupid - if SISU is serious about the Butts.
And we avoid all the money a stadium generates too. Brilliant.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

martcov

Obviously short to medium term we will have to stay at the Ricoh, however, I wish people would stop presuming that the rent will stay as low as it is now, and we do pay for the running costs of the stadium, that's a matchday costs which are about £250k pa

I am not presuming the rent stays low and assume that we need some control of a stadium long Term. If CRFC do get a 15000 stadium built, it would be an alternative to be used as a 'Northampton' style exit to force a deal with Wasps. Long term though we need something bigger than 15000.

skybluetony176

How much is it going to generate? What will the split of that turnover and profit be between CCFC and CRFC? It's not just about the profits what about the costs? The cost of redevelopment for starters, what debt will that load onto the club? How much will that cost us a year? How many years will that be over? What's the split on the liabilities between CCFC and CRFC? What about the running costs? What's the split between CCFC and CRFC? There's alot of details to come out before we can make an informed decision on this.

stupot07

I am not presuming the rent stays low and assume that we need some control of a stadium long Term. If CRFC do get a 15000 stadium built, it would be an alternative to be used as a 'Northampton' style exit to force a deal with Wasps. Long term though we need something bigger than 15000.
What would crfc then do with the 15k stadium that we have jointly financed?

martcov

The amount of money the club gets from a New Stadium is dependant on the deal with the stadium owners ( propco ) and whatever facilities come with the stadium. The propco investors want a return on their money. The Butts doesn't have much space for facilities. So, you don't have a clue whether the club will be better off from the money the stadium ( in this case The Butts ) generates or not. 100000 is, however, peanuts for a 32000 stadium rental.

CA's Job is to work out these figures.

martcov

The amount of money the club gets from a New Stadium is dependant on the deal with the stadium owners ( propco ) and whatever facilities come with the stadium. The propco investors want a return on their money. The Butts doesn't have much space for facilities. So, you don't have a clue whether the club will be better off from the money the stadium ( in this case The Butts ) generates or not. 100000 is, however, peanuts for a 32000 stadium rental.

CA's Job is to work out these figures.

stupot07

Yes, 100k is good for a 32k stadium on the current, but its not likely to be that low if we negotiate a longer stay.

torchomatic

How much is it going to generate? What will the split of that turnover and profit be between CCFC and CRFC? It's not just about the profits what about the costs? The cost of redevelopment for starters, what debt will that load onto the club? How much will that cost us a year? How many years will that be over? What's the split on the liabilities between CCFC and CRFC? What about the running costs? What's the split between CCFC and CRFC? There's alot of details to come out before we can make an informed decision on this.
You know exactly as much as i do so you might want to save thw Doomsday Scenario until you do.

In the meantime just keep moaning.

martcov

Yes, 100k is good for a 32k stadium on the current, but its not likely to be that low if we negotiate a longer stay.

I know, but if SISU propco build a new one we may be going from the frying pan into the fire. There are no guarantees - either way.

skybluetony176

You know exactly as much as i do so you might want to save thw Doomsday Scenario until you do.

What doomsday scenario? I've asked questions not stated a scenario. I'm well aware that I know as much as you. I keep pointing this out you. You're queuing up at the Butts to get in and you have absolutely no idea of what A) it means for the club and B) if it's the best option for the club.

All I want is some answers before I jump in with both feet. Not exactly a stupid notion is it?

martcov

Tony is merely pointing out considerations that must be taken into account. Stop dreaming that Santa is coming with a new toy ( stadium in this case ). Santa doesn't exist and if a Stadium does come it will be financed by investors not ST holders - we are having enough trouble trying to be self sufficient without building a stadium. Investors want a return - then we will see what is left over for the club.

oldfiver

If SISU and the Rugby Club have a plan they have to present it to CCC. They can hardly ask for the outcome to be decided against them dropping the JR. JR2 doesn't look good for them anyway.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/council-official-says-attempt-block-11353953
It looks like the "plan" has been presented to Council. Why did Clewes have to go fishing - why not take the normal route of just asking? It seems the Council deliberately blocked the proposal knowing full well they were not entitled to and delayed a private company from going about its business.

martcov

One positive about the Butts... The Rumaniens on the carpark do a good hand car wash for 7 quid....

Otis

Nah should be 90000 anything smaller shows lack of ambition.

Ah, let's all get ridiculous, eh!! ;)

No-one is talking about about 90,000 seater stadiums, or indeed an 80,000, or 70,0000, or 60, or 50, or even 40.

We just want to be able to compete with the likes of Stoke and West Brom and Norwich and Southampton etc.

15,000 is fine in the very short term, but it won't take us very far forwards. We just want to be on an even footing with clubs of a similar ilk and though we are not there right now in terms of League status or success, just one promotion could change all that.

Where do we want to be in 5 years would you say? For me it would be promotion and making a good fist of it in the Championship.

We need something expandable that will take us forwards and as a club we should have ambition.

No-one is talking about anything ridiculous, just sensible for the future and on the proviso we want to be a successful club.

If we don't want that we might as well all just pack in now.

We need to stop just looking at the here and now and requirement this very minute in League One and look it terms of an optimistic future and what will see us through the next 5-10 years and beyond.

We need to be fair to Cov Rugby club too and make a firm commitment and the goal of a long term future together.

Nick

Administrator

martcov

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/council-official-says-attempt-block-11353953
It looks like the "plan" has been presented to Council. Why did Clewes have to go fishing - why not take the normal route of just asking? It seems the Council deliberately blocked the proposal knowing full well they were not entitled to and delayed a private company from going about its business.
They are entitled to go fishing. Any block would ultimately have to be approved and for that to Happen more details would have to come from CRFC and CCFC. In view of the ongoing JRs which cost the council time and money thus delaying other city projects, I have no sympathy for SISU experiencing delays. Although up until now I don't know of any delays caused by the council. Nothing has happened yet... I would have thought SISU would offer to drop the JR against a pledge of mutual respect and cooperation. Why don't they (iyo)?

Nick

Administrator
They are entitled to go fishing. Any block would ultimately have to be approved and for that to Happen more details would have to come from CRFC and CCFC. In view of the ongoing JRs which cost the council time and money thus delaying other city projects, I have no sympathy for SISU experiencing delays. Although up until now I don't know of any delays caused by the council. Nothing has happened yet... I would have thought SISU would offer to drop the JR against a pledge of mutual respect and cooperation. Why don't they (iyo)?

Why would they need more details from them to block it?

NorthernWisdom

A long Term Solution to the stadium problem is more important than " obtaining a narrative" as you put it.

It probably is.

The CCC block is a show of force that they too can be cunts. The CCC don't need to talk to SISU. It's up to SISU to come to CCC as they are the local authority and the freeholders. If SISU and the Rugby Club have a plan they have to present it to CCC. They can hardly ask for the outcome to be decided against them dropping the JR. JR2 doesn't look good for them anyway.

Whilst I don't disagree with a lot of this, they both need to talk to each other, really, as the consequece of not talking could be the city loses its football club to oblivion, and CCC arguably need that more than SISU. I do take the general point however... although imagine a scenario of dropping JR2, and then the Butts not getting passed. *That* would be an ultimate cuntish result.

So I hope he 'we won't talk' is more a 'we won't put this on a formal footing'. Much like the Richardson/McGinnity/Robinson confidentiality agreements, the Wasps deal would leave even more of a sour taste if it doesn't play out in entirity but yes, if we end up with a city centre ground then yes, drop it all... and let Wasps go bust naturally, anyway ;)

martcov

Ah, let's all get ridiculous, eh!! ;)

No-one is talking about about 90,000 seater stadiums, or indeed an 80,000, or 70,0000, or 60, or 50, or even 40.

We just want to be able to compete with the likes of Stoke and West Brom and Norwich and Southampton etc.

15,000 is fine in the very short term, but it won't take us very far forwards. We just want to be on an even footing with clubs of a similar ilk and though we are not there right now in terms of League status or success, just one promotion could change all that.

Where do we want to be in 5 years would you say? For me it would be promotion and making a good fist of it in the Championship.

We need something expandable that will take us forwards and as a club we should have ambition.

No-one is talking about anything ridiculous, just sensible for the future and on the proviso we want to be a successful club.

If we don't want that we might as well all just pack in now.

We need to stop just looking at the here and now and requirement this very minute in League One and look it terms of an optimistic future and what will see us through the next 5-10 years and beyond.

We need to be fair to Cov Rugby club too and make a firm commitment and the goal of a long term future together.
Exactly....

oldfiver

Wasn't it the Rugby Club who approached the Council in June ( according to the Cov Tel ) not SISU - when did CCC raise the issue with CRFC and and get a reply. Surely not 10 months ?

Otis

something from cov rfc website

JS has been speaking with architects – one plan would be to have a two tier ground where the bottom tier would seat 2-3000 and would be used for rugby games and the larger second tier could be used for soccer games or for Championship/Premier games. The pitch would be sunk into the ground so the car park would in effect be at the point the first and second tiers meet. This is just one of the options though (the others weren’t discussed).

Cov United want to play some of their bigger games at The Butts next season and improvements to the pitch will need to take place for this to happen.

In addition, JS confirmed that he has been having talks with Coventry City who are at the moment groundless and although they do get gate receipts from their games at the Ricoh, revenue from drinks and other refreshments goes to Wasps. JS has been exploring the possibility of a new stadium at The Butts with far better facilities than at present, including a gym. There would be room on the current site for apartments and student accommodation, both of which are in demand – something called bankruptcy remoteness would ensure the club wasn’t saddled with debt should things not work out as expected. Football and rugby would come together under the banner of Coventry Sporting Club (?) – and although there hasn’t been the political will for this to happen before, changes in the council recently mean that this might no longer be the case.

There are ‘lots of bridges to be crossed’…?

However, JS did stress that even though Sky Blues had more financial resources and were the ‘bigger outfit’, Cov would have total control so long as he’s in charge (which begs an obvious question…).

67b3be1f37e133e38b8b2603f4d207bd.jpg

I really don't want to piss in anyone's chips, but if you look at that picture there is no way on this earth anyone would be allowed to build a much bigger stand there that would block out the light of the buildings behind.

This therefore just reinforces the suggestion of a sunken pitch, but we all know that would add millions to the project. Even on the drawing board I can foresee major problems.

I really hope someone can conjure up a bit of magic that would make the whole thing feasible, but transport links are going to be terrible through to anything like a 20,000+ seater stadium.

My wife quite often has to be dropped off in Queen's Road at the back of the Butts on a Saturday afternoon around 1.30 pm and the traffic getting through can be really bad. Usually tailbacks on the Radford Road through to town and then again at the Earlsdon/Tile Hill exit on the ring road, with queues into IKEA and the SkyDome.

I really think there would be massive opposition from local residents, especially around the Earlsdon area, where getting in and out on a match day could be horrific.

Think there are massive obstacles in the way and while in theory it all seems ideal, the reality of it ever happening is a lot, lot less likely.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

martcov

Why would they need more details from them to block it?
Because of the effect on the area. A lot of people live there. Up til now CCC only know/ knew what CRFC had planned. A second or even third adds to noise, traffic etc. nothing will or can Happen without further details. That is normal in a democracy - as you like to point out ( when it suits ).

Glen

It seems if we share with the rugby club we cannot get what CCFC has been saying we MUST have 100% of income from a new ground so why bother, yes I agree we get more income but will it be enough and warrant the move??????????

Otis

It seems if we share with the rugby club we cannot get what CCFC has been saying we MUST have 100% of income from a new ground so why bother, yes I agree we get more income but will it be enough and warrant the move??????????

One question mark too few there, Glen I think.

oldfiver

67b3be1f37e133e38b8b2603f4d207bd.jpg

I really don't want to piss in anyone's chips, but if you look at that picture there is no way on this earth anyone would be allowed to build a much bigger stand there that would block out the light of the buildings behind.

This therefore just reinforces the suggestion of a sunken pitch, but we all know that would add millions to the project. Even on the drawing board I can foresee major problems.

I really hope someone can conjure up a bit of magic that would make the whole thing feasible, but transport links are going to be terrible through to anything like a 20,000+ seater stadium.

My wife quite often has to be dropped off in Queen's Road at the back of the Butts on a Saturday afternoon around 1.30 pm and the traffic getting through can be really bad. Usually tailbacks on the Radford Road through to town and then again at the Earlsdon/Tile Hill exit on the ring road, with queues into IKEA and the SkyDome.

I really think there would be massive opposition from local residents, especially around the Earlsdon area, where getting in and out on a match day could be horrific.

Think there are massive obstacles in the way and while in theory it all seems ideal, the reality of it ever happening is a lot, lot less likely.

Have you seen the height of those rear buildings? They are 10 storeys high - doubt if the stands are going that height

As to the traffic problems - that is mainly down to shambolic highways design and needs revising anyway

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread