Butts park arena? (1 Viewer)

Steve.B50

What I am saying is that even if you have Billionaire owners you do not need a big ground to be successful.
I agree if we have a smaller ground one day lots of us will not be able to watch our team, but do owners care if they we cannot watch our favourite club. It will probably be televised and we would pay to view.

Steve.B50

To us as CCFC gate receipts are everything at present however if in the Championship we would get more from TV rights that money through the gate gate.

martcov

Before I get anywhere near to excited about this I want to see some actual plans and figures. I also hope if the plans are good someone gets the council in a headlock to force it through. I want a Craven Street run before the game and no more mincing about in Foleshill.

I grew up around there and loved the pub crawl to town.. Wish the stadium had always been nearby... But there are a hell of a lot of hurdles to pass to build a stadium with a hoped for size of 25000. Cannot see it happening- unless some major investment is available to build the stand or a carpark over the road or something in that order. That means over the garage and Fob Watch ( Sommerfield Tavern ).

italiahorse

So what do you suggest? The Ricoh is gone. CCC have said there is no possible site for a new stadium within the city boundary.

So we either stay at the Ricoh as tenants, move somewhere like the Butts or move out of the city.

Nobody is saying lets start playing at the Butts as it is now next season. Lets look at all the options and see what works out best.

Said this all along.
Show us why a new stadium or the Butts will be better than the Ricoh.
After all if we ever get to the PL the stadium rental and F&B become insignificant.
We then move into the realms of stadium street credibility.
The Midlands today Aston Villa takeover followed by the 15,000 Butts arena stadium was embarrassing.

martcov

But it only seems like people who don't currently go are bothered?

I do go when I am home ( not often ), but it is exactly people like me who don't have a ST who would possibly lose out if the ground had a lower capacity. Plus, the "lost fans" who my want to go the big games again.

Grendel

Said this all along.
After all if we ever get to the PL the stadium rental and F&B become insignificant.
The Midlands today Aston Villa takeover followed by the 15,000 Butts arena stadium was embarrassing.

Whereas playing second fiddle to some poxy London rugby team isn't?

RegTheDonk

We go to some grounds that are pretty much up a country lane, the Butts is 350 yards from the ring road! A decent traffic management plan and you shouldn't have issues. As for bus and rail pretty much every bus service in the city goes to the city centre, similarly how many trains go to the main station compared to the Ricoh?

Lets look at parking. The Ricoh, with 32K capacity, in an area poorly served by public transport has 3K spaces. So lets proportionally reduce that and say initially there will be a need for 1.5K spaces, that doesn't even account for the likelihood that less people will drive as it is a more accessible location. So with 8K minimum parking spaces within walking distance unless they are operating currently at over 80% capacity we're no worse off. Again its about managing the existing facilities. There's probably other parking as well, where do all council and university employees park for a start?

Not to say there would't be issues to resolve but I'm not really seeing anything that couldn't be sorted relatively easily.

I agree Chief, while I believe there will be obstacles in the way, I look back at the situation at HR. I can't recall any large car parking facilities, those that traveled by car parked around the side streets or found somewhere close and walked. And LOADS actually walked from town - the Butts seems even closer to the ring road on the map. While there will be some congestion, I'd like to see some proper study and some supporters consultation before I'd assume the roads will be clogged up and it's an impossible dream.

Compare that with the Ricoh, its a hell of a distance from town, no wonder most people can't walk there.

Grendel

I do go when I am home ( not often ), but it is exactly people like me who don't have a ST who would possibly lose out if the ground had a lower capacity. Plus, the "lost fans" who my want to go the big games again.

The club doesn't need more than 20,000 - the Ricoh was above that only by forcing down prices. I think the most per fan was £12 a game.

The amount of times we have had over 18,000 fans paying full admission price is tiny.

There is a huge argument for having more interest than space. It forces prices up will increase season tickets and match packages and would inflate income from ticket sales.

Ian1779

I don't see what's massively wrong with a 15K starting point..

I'm pretty sure the people moaning about this not being big enough are the same people who moaned that the club offered an incentive to season ticket holders if we got 15K of them as it was unrealistic.

Logistics clearly need to be thought about, and it's a long way to go yet if it ever comes to fruition - but surely you'd have to be a Wasps apologist to not back the idea.... o_O

Moff

Said this all along.

Well as we don't have any assets, and so aren't an attractive proposition to a purchaser, if the Butts stadium venture came off we would have a ground. This and our own revenue streams would make us a more attractive proposition to a new purchaser, thus SISU disappear off into the night.....well unless you would rather SISU remain and we stay at the Ricoh that is?

(Yes I know its hypothetical)

albatross

So...... we need 14K to break even in League 1. So we propose to build a 15k stadium to fund us to get there? Mmmm....
So in order to build this stadium someone will have to fund it. But not the club as we cant afford it. Mmmmm......
So lets get someone else to fund it! So who pays for it that once they have provided the money? Mmmm....
Oh they can lease it to the rugby and football clubs and pay for it from the 365 revenue they will get right?... Mmmm...
Then they can expand the stadium to sustain the 15K+ crowds we can get as a successful League one team. Mmmmm....

And in order to make this non profit making stadium a reality all we have to do is, fix the neighbours, the roads, the car parking , the legal cases and the covenant on the ground , the council and split the proceeds with Cov RFC and have a team that can be successful on 15K crowds to fund it in order to make it happen.

Sorry if i seem a tad cynical. I am not convinced

Spend the money on the team and give us something to support other than accountants and lawyers.

ccfc92

Well yeah, but then also 'if' and 'hypothetically' 25,000. :)

But 15K is being suggested isn't it? Not 25K immediately?

I'd like us in a 20-25,000 stadium, with expansion possibilities, in a location like the Butts (just outside the city centre), just to make my opinion clear :)

martcov

I agree Chief, while I believe there will be obstacles in the way, I look back at the situation at HR. I can't recall any large car parking facilities, those that traveled by car parked around the side streets or found somewhere close and walked. And LOADS actually walked from town - the Butts seems even closer to the ring road on the map. While there will be some congestion, I'd like to see some proper study and some supporters consultation before I'd assume the roads will be clogged up and it's an impossible dream.

Compare that with the Ricoh, its a hell of a distance from town, no wonder most people can't walk there.

Compared to the Ricoh the Butts is nearer to town, but the site is very tight and there would be congestion. It would only work with a solution to the space problem - overhead or underground parking, wider approach roads etc.. For that you need the council on board to get the plans approved. Constant JRs doesn't help. Pity they cannot rip something down inside the ring road as part of the rejuvenation and build a Central Stadium designed for all year round usage - as originally planned with Arena 2000. 10 years of more crawling to Wasps followed by Arena 2030. Something purpose built for a modern city centre with less shops, more sport and culture, and some parkland if space left over.

Grendel

Hobo

Yes, but those days standing in the West End had atmosphere - and the restricted view didn't matter, to me at least, but, I was younger then and prefer sitting in the Ricoh nowadays ..
But the atmosphere outside the West End was flat. It didn't project into the ground. Didn't do our fans justice and away fans thought we were crap supporters.

martcov

That was boxing day, always gets an attendance bump. That was about 2K higher than any other home game. The vast majority were under 15K.

Central location- possibly higher gates? Not far from the station... If you get a central location, you may need a higher capacity than 15000.

chiefdave

Tbf many are seeing it as built before seeing all the arguments- for and against.

A bit of excitement is allowed on a day news like this comes out. We don't get much to be excited about!

Think even the most enthusiastic poster realises this is a very long way from being a reality and there are hurdles that will have to be jumped.

Otis

You can't plan for the one or 2 games a season that you might draw man united in the fa cup and you would get 50,000. you have to plan it on averages and the fact we havent averaged over 15,500 for 5/6 speaks volumes ...15k is plenty for a couple of years to build up more funds to expand etc!
just like mk dons have done

But it's not one or two games if you are successful. It's only one or two games a season for us because we've either been crap, or have buggered it up.

Us winning, at the top, bigger crowds for more games.

We go to the Championship and start competing for the top 6 there we will get several big attendances.

Had we gone up this season for instance, you would have big crowds for Wolves, Birmingham, Villa and Newcastle for starters and then very decent crowds for Leeds, Derby and Forest.

We need to switch off from the losing mentality we HAVE had and think about the success we COULD have and the difference that would make.

Grendel

Central location- possibly higher gates? Not far from the station... If you get a central location, you may need a higher capacity than 15000.
Or you just do not discount admission prices.

martcov

But the atmosphere outside the West End was flat. It didn't project into the ground. Didn't do our fans justice and away fans thought we were crap supporters.

Yes, that"s true, but we didn't notice that. A bit egoistic, but we were there to enjoy the atmosphere and weren't thinking "tactically".

Grendel

But it's not one or two games if you are successful. It's only one or two games a season for us because we've either been crap, or have buggered it up.

Us winning, at the top, bigger crowds for more games.

We go to the Championship and start competing for the top 6 there we will get several big attendances.

Had we gone up this season for instance, you would have big crowds for Wolves, Birmingham, Villa and Newcastle for starters and then very decent crowds for Leeds, Derby and Forest.

We need to switch off from the losing mentality we HAVE had and think about the success we COULD have and the difference that would make.

Again - why would you need bigger crowds? When we had bigger crowds we did it by slashing prices.

Otis

In the modern game it does not really matter about how big your stadium is most of the revenue comes from TV money at the higher end, look at Bournemouth?

So if it doesn't really matter why are all the big clubs expanding their stadiums? (Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal,Man City, Spurs, West Ham etc.)

Surely they should just stay as they are.

dongonzalos

Italia SBK and Senior Thick aren't too chuffed to be fair. Tony says he's unsure that moving into a stadium owned by a rugby club may be right for "his" team, OSB has concerns on parking (rather odd given there is nowhere to park at the Ricoh) and dongle is avoiding all questions on the councils apparent attempt to strangle at birth this concept.

Everyone else seems on board.

The council have blocked it?

My concern is the capacity I want the potential for 30k
25 shows a serious lack of ambition
I love the location perfect

stupot07

Well I'm definitely behind the concept. Which until we hear more is all it is.

The nature of this forum is as always causing people to exaggerate on both sides.

The 'it's all bollocks' brigade and the people already queuing up outside the Butts.

that'll be the fans queing up to buy their season tickets from our ticket office which is based there...... ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread