Butts Park Arena is new home (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skybluetony176

This does not counter LR's story. It smacks of Simon looking for a consolation scoop to counter the LR story

I don't know. To be fair to Simon he has quotes from CRFC and Cov United confirming that not only have talks taken place but also goes into some of the technical issues that need to be overcome before ANY football club can play there. That's almost a proper story. LR's article is a gossip piece in comparison as it's very light on details.

chiefdave

Plus people first mentioned Cov United months ago talking about going there...

Is there actually any new info in this report? Seems a bit of a rehash of the story from around the time they moved grounds, eventually ending up at Sphinx. At the time it was said they would keep talking and keep options open with regard to moving there at some point in the future.

Could be another story already written then CRFC and CU contacted, as the SBT were the other week, to get a quote to go with it.

martcov

Plus people first mentioned Cov United months ago talking about going there...

Exactly. The Butts was never on for CCFC. Even more reasons such as the terms of the sub lease have been quoted. Why were we even discussing it? Les Reid said so. Grendel had already got the pricing policy for a 15000 seater Butts stadium worked out. People suggested turning Hearsall Common into a parking lot. Reality is that the Butts would be be great for both parties( Cov a Rugby and Cov United ) and "our" side of the city to have a good non-league team within a short distance of our homes and some pubs ( e.g. in Earsldon ).

Astute

This does not counter LR's story. It smacks of Simon looking for a consolation scoop to counter the LR story

This one gives evidence of what has been said by who. And how difficult it would be for a small football club to play there. What was the Reid one saying again?

Nick

Administrator
This one gives evidence of what has been said by who. And how difficult it would be for a small football club to play there. What was the Reid one saying again?
I could be wrong but pitch cost that they want is silly money.

martcov

No it doesn't say that - still I guess you are still a bit sore that a lot of his comments regarding CET and it's pro council stance have proven to be true.

So we can take everything he says as gospel? I suspect he knows which side his bread is buttered.

fernandopartridge

The story seems to have vanished.

In this one, there are quotes that don't really say anything. It's similar to the Wasps Training Ground story, an aspiration reported as a reality. Not that LR's story about the Butts isn't one either.

torchomatic

Or similar to the story where Armstrong was going back but there were no direct quotes from anyone.

The story seems to have vanished.

In this one, there are quotes that don't really say anything. It's similar to the Wasps Training Ground story, an aspiration reported as a reality. Not that LR's story about the Butts isn't one either.

torchomatic

torchomatic

I thought the CT would do an article rebuffing or at least putting the cosiness between them and CCC into context into an article or something but they just ignored it.

Interesting to see what the people giving him abuse and being on the payroll stuff think of it all.

Astute

I thought the CT would do an article rebuffing or at least putting the cosiness between them and CCC into context into an article or something but they just ignored it.

Most of us worked out that CCFC wouldn't find the Butts as sufficient so why would they need to say anything about the Reid article?

stupot07

Most of us worked out that CCFC wouldn't find the Butts as sufficient so why would they need to say anything about the Reid article?

I think he means the ethics committee meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

torchomatic

Yes, as Stu said.

skybluetony176

No it doesn't say that - still I guess you are still a bit sore that a lot of his comments regarding CET and it's pro council stance have proven to be true.

Yes it does.

"THE site identified by the Sky Blues to build a new stadium is the Butts Park Arena home of Coventry rugby club, the Observer can exclusively reveal."

There's a link on the OP if you want to read it for yourself.

Although it is from a "source close to the club" so its just a gossip piece really, no details to the LR article what so ever so I guess it should have always have been taken with a pinch of salt anyway.

Grendel

Yes it does.

"THE site identified by the Sky Blues to build a new stadium is the Butts Park Arena home of Coventry rugby club, the Observer can exclusively reveal."

Although it is from a "source close to the club" so its just a gossip piece really, no details to the LR article what so ever so I guess it should have always have been taken with a pinch of salt anyway.

No more so than this latest bit of nonsense from the council evening telegraph - you could lay bets on the posters who say "it has substance"

martcov

No more so than this latest bit of nonsense from the council evening telegraph - you could lay bets on the posters who say "it has substance"

Will the observer have the decency to retract their obviously inaccurate story? Or maybe Les' sources got CCFC confused with CUFC? RobS says that TF is annoyed that the story got out.....I bet TF hasn't laughed so much in years.... And then the Grendel pricing policy- price the poor out of it ( I hope TF doesn't take that on board though ). Anyway, roll on Sunday....

Astute

Like you thinking that we were moving to the Butts because Les Reid said so? You even had a go at people for not believing it. And all you can do now is accuse others of doing what you believed to be true by the award winning journalist Reid.

Nick

Administrator
Yes it does.

That doesn't say building it though, just says identified in fairness.

Nick

Administrator
Like you thinking that we were moving to the Butts because Les Reid said so? You even had a go at people for not believing it. And all you can do now is accuse others of doing what you believed to be true by the award winning journalist Reid.
Why do people give the award winning journalist line? Turns out he had a point back in the day when he was saying stuff and got abuse for it.

He got abuse for being wrong then, turns out he was right. I wouldn't be so quick to jump in saying he's wrong ( this isn't me saying he's right though).

martcov

That doesn't say building it though, just says identified in fairness.

The site to build a new stadium has been identified- ok, they haven't got the spades out yet, but it is clear that it is the site to build a new stadium which has been identified. Sorry Nick, but you cannot get much clearer if you tried. It's bollocks and some Reid fans have been had.... Again. RobS has been sucked in before as the mouthpiece of Les and his sources. Nothing against RobS.

Nick

Administrator
The site to build a new stadium has been identified- ok, they haven't got the spades out yet, but it is clear that it is the site to build a new stadium which has been identified. Sorry Nick, but you cannot get much clearer if you tried. It's bollocks and some Reid fans have been had.... Again. RobS has been sucked in before as the mouthpiece of Les and his sources. Nothing against RobS.

That doesn't clearly say it's being built, it says a site has been identified. That could be somebody stood by the road saying "there's a site".

I could say I've identified a car I'm going to buy, doesn't been I've 100% bought it.

I don't think anybody is his fan, just people were quick to give it stuff about him knowing what side his bread is buttered, but he was right.

Yet the people who give it loads about his bread being buttered haven't mentioned anything about the cet and council?

Who has been talking as if it's a when we are at the butts, and not a hypothetical if?

skybluetony176

The headline says "Coventry United FC in talks over Butts Park Arena ground share with Coventry Rugby Club" and this is confirmed by statements from NAMED representatives from both clubs. How much more substance do you want? The statements confirm the headline. It's not even like the article says it's a given that it will happen. Just the opposite in fact. Simon clearly done some homework and found out what obstacles will be in the way. I really can't see why you have a problem with the article. You clearly have a problem with the CT and it seems to have clouded your judgment of the article. Either that or you haven't actually read it.

Astute

Why do people give the award winning journalist line? Turns out he had a point back in the day when he was saying stuff and got abuse for it.

He got abuse for being wrong then, turns out he was right. I wouldn't be so quick to jump in saying he's wrong ( this isn't me saying he's right though).

Grendel reminded us enough times in the past. And I quoted Grendel and another stupid post of his.

Wouldn't be quick to say he is wrong? Why was his story pulled? All I can think is he heard a whisper about Coventry Football club wanting to move at the Butts. He just got the wrong football club. Things like this will happen when trying to get scoops. But then we have people looking for excuses for him when one isn't needed and accusing another journalist of the same when he had waited for what looks like the truth.

Take it on the chin for once Grendel. Nobody can be right all the time. And you are wrong frequently enough to have admitted once at least.

Rob S

... RobS says that TF is annoyed that the story got out.....I bet TF hasn't laughed so much in years...

You know what's funny? Reading stuff like this and knowing what I know compared to what you think you know. :D I guess if you're over in Germany, opportunities to dig deeper are limited to Internet ferreting, but it's actually not that hard to find out what might be going on if you speak to people and keep your ear to the ground.

Very few people seem to have picked up on the major obstacle to all of this: the council. If the clubs & CCC and other national & EU bodies can come together, something good could be done if there is willingness for the clubs & council to work together. If not then it's a non-starter.

Bear in mind that it wasn't too long ago that the idea of an alleged new stadium in Coventry was itself, a non-starter, due to the position of the owner. Someone has been particularly persuasive maybe?

But, yeah...unless there is any willingness to move this forward, it ain't going to happen. However, it is very possible to build a suitable stadium in the Butts.

Nick

Administrator
Grendel reminded us enough times in the past. And I quoted Grendel and another stupid post of his.

Wouldn't be quick to say he is wrong? Why was his story pulled? All I can think is he heard a whisper about Coventry Football club wanting to move at the Butts. He just got the wrong football club. Things like this will happen when trying to get scoops. But then we have people looking for excuses for him when one isn't needed and accusing another journalist of the same when he had waited for what looks like the truth.

Take it on the chin for once Grendel. Nobody can be right all the time. And you are wrong frequently enough to have admitted once at least.
What's been pulled?

The talk of cov United has been for months

covmark

Fucking hell we have Reid fans now?

martcov

He didn't know which side his bread was buttered on then... ( not a criticism of him ). It clearly states that the site has been identified by the Sky blues to build a stadium. And Les has revealed it. What more could he have said? If he said "a" site, then you could infer there was more than one. The quote says "the" site. It is the one where a stadium is to be built and has been found by the Sky Blues. The inference being that it is the site that the Sky Blues were looking for. No. You can't wriggle out of that. Les was wrong. I don't know why.

Nick

Administrator
He didn't know which side his bread was buttered on then... ( not a criticism of him ). It clearly states that the site has been identified by the Sky blues to build a stadium. And Les has revealed it. What more could he have said? If he said "a" site, then you could infer there was more than one. The quote says "the" site. It is the one where a stadium is to be built and has been found by the Sky Blues. The inference being that it is the site that the Sky Blues were looking for. No. You can't wriggle out of that. Les was wrong. I don't know why.
He could have said Coventry city are building a stadium at the butts, which would have said to me it's a goer.

Surely no journalist or paper should have their bread buttered, but you don't have an issue with those that do?

Grendel

I said we'd never be moving to the m. Butts. More astute facts. Have you been on a Simon Gilbert training course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread