Welcome to Sky Blues Talk!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. Join thousands of fellow Coventry City fans today!

Bury dead and buried

From what I hear Bury are in such a financial mess they will have to start from scratch like AFC Wimbledon did
The ground was sold under extremely dodgy circumstances so whether the new Bury will be able to play there is doubtful at least in the short to medium term
 
I can’t see why at the very minimum Bury couldn’t be in the division below league two next season in effect one of the relegated two from division two
That's nothing to do with the EFL. They will need to apply to the National League.

Suspect they will be admitted there but the next argument will be in which division. No doubt the clubs in National League North will want them that low down as they'll see a nice pay day with the spike in attendance.
 
I disagree being relegated from division two is part of the EFL the only difference is second bottom in division two don’t go down, happy days for them I suppose but no other team is involved.
 
I disagree being relegated from division two is part of the EFL the only difference is second bottom in division two don’t go down, happy days for them I suppose but no other team is involved.
Currently only 1 team is going down from league 2.

If you readmit Bury - this either changes to to relegations as per normal (no league 2 side is going to vote for an extra relegation place)

Or only 1 team comes up from the National league rather than 2

I’d imagine this would be seen as grossly unfair to teams that have legitimately been promoted
 
Harsh on Bury, but this is the right decision by the EFL.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
 
I didn’t know Bury FC were still in administration, I thought a fans group had started a new club in the lower leagues and that was that. I have just read that the administrators have accepted a bid for the club including Gigg Lane, and the new owners are hoping the club is re-elected into the football league.
 
I didn’t know Bury FC were still in administration, I thought a fans group had started a new club in the lower leagues and that was that. I have just read that the administrators have accepted a bid for the club including Gigg Lane, and the new owners are hoping the club is re-elected into the football league.
Ive seen this, it would be good news if this happens as I remember them being a decent football club
 
I didn’t know Bury FC were still in administration, I thought a fans group had started a new club in the lower leagues and that was that. I have just read that the administrators have accepted a bid for the club including Gigg Lane, and the new owners are hoping the club is re-elected into the football league.
Is there any precedent for a club missing a season and then being allowed back into the league? They're looking at two months minimum to complete the deal, you'd think that leaves a tight turnaround to get things in place for next season.

Wish them well but think they could find it a struggle, Maintaining an old 10K capacity ground in the lower leagues or non-league isn't going to be easy. They're saying they won't allow the new club to go into debt. Remember when Pomepy were briefly fan owned, their business plan included large losses for the first few seasons and even then they had to close off sections of the ground as they couldn't afford the maintenance.
 
Can't see any way they get elected back to the football league .
 
Will need to earn there football league status back ,not expect just to get it.
 
There are a full quota of 24 teams in Leagues 1 and 2 so I don't see how they can be shoehorned into the league. Given their failure to play for the last 3 seasons it would probably be fair to demote them for each of those seasons rather than make them start at the bottom of the pyramid, so their starting point would be something like the National League North, where they wouldn't be alone in being an ex league club.
 
So will the FL start bury fc in the same league as bury afc ?
 
Bury will restart well down the pyramid, there is no chance whatsoever that they will be readmitted to the FL.

As others have mentioned, Gigg Lane will cost a small fortune (for a step 7/8/9 or wherever they start club) to maintain and there's the small problem of AFC Bury that was formed nearly 2 years ago. I gather there's a lot of animosity between the fanbase who believed the original Bury could still be saved and those who didn't and as such started a new club. The new club averages 1,250 which isn't far off half the old club's fanbase. Bury isn't big enough to host two well supported teams.
 
Is there any precedent for a club missing a season and then being allowed back into the league? They're looking at two months minimum to complete the deal, you'd think that leaves a tight turnaround to get things in place for next season.

Wish them well but think they could find it a struggle, Maintaining an old 10K capacity ground in the lower leagues or non-league isn't going to be easy. They're saying they won't allow the new club to go into debt. Remember when Pomepy were briefly fan owned, their business plan included large losses for the first few seasons and even then they had to close off sections of the ground as they couldn't afford the maintenance.

it doesn’t say entry to the league in the article
 
Is there any formal criteria that they use to work out where a 'new' team slots into the pyramid?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom