Burglars (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

I think because of the types of house entry I'm on about, ( through open doors and windows). People know the insurance won't pay out so aren't reporting them if they haven't lost too much.
I know someone who it happened to recently and when they were cancelling their bank cards they told them they'd lost their bag because it was easier.

Of course, it may not be higher. I have no evidence it is.

My point is you have to explain the rate of change. Even if you are right, for that to explain the drop without an equivalent drop in actual crimes then people would need to be avoiding reporting now more often than at any time in history. Got to be honest burglary was the easiest crime I've ever suffered in many ways. Police came round, pretty much said we won't find them but here's a crime number then insurance replaced everything we'd lost. Has the process got harder? If not then you have to assume crime has actually gone down. And if so, can you prove its significant enough to wipe out both the upward trend but also add a consistent downward trend.

Most crime is down as a percentage of the population. Fact is that today there's loads more people and loads more access to communication so it feels like more stuff is happening closer, when all the stats show it's getting better. But that doesn't make a good Facebook post (or SBT thread).

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
hearing more and more instances of houses getting done over by robbers entering through unlocked doors and windows.
Same with cars as I found out to my cost recently when I never locked it and my satnav got nicked.
Worth double checking all your doors and windows before going out/to bed and hammering the message home to your kids if they're anything like mine for leaving them open.
I had my Sat Nav nicked. I'm lost without it!

Users who are viewing this thread