Burge wants to fight for number 1 spot next season (1 Viewer)

larry_david

Now his loan spell with Nuneaton has ended, i'd be tempted to start him for our last game of the season. He's been outstanding at Nuneaton and has said he wants to be number 1 with us next season, and witht he reviews coming from Nuneaton I think we have a very good prospect on our hands, start him against Notts County!

theprince

Do you know i agree, won't happen though. Nowadays there seems to be a reluctance to use goalkeepers until their mid twentys. Okay the league Nuneaton are in is lower than ours but only by 2 divisions. In times gone by Jim Blythe, Les Sealey and Chris Kirkland all came in and stayed in as youngsters in fact Sealey was only about 19 and came straight into relegation dog fight due to Blythe getting crocked. If you are good enough you are old enough, simple,

WillieStanley

Joe Murphy is good enough and under contract. I don't understand why we would need to start Burge. Great that he's had a good season but if we want to develop him, give him another season on loan at a higher level than Boro with a recall option. We need to nurture our young talent, not just through them to the wolves.

IMHO thats the difference between Ryan Giggs and Michael Owen.

Brighton Sky Blue

Don't see what we'd have to lose in giving him a start at Notts Co, or what harm it'd do to give Murphy more competition next season as Dunn clearly is yet to do so.

WillieStanley

Don't see what we'd have to lose in giving him a start at Notts Co, or what harm it'd do to give Murphy more competition next season as Dunn clearly is yet to do so.

Agreed, but then I'm always drawn to this comment about lower league youth and when they get an offer, similar to Bigi, in the Prem. Constantly, it's not just the better money or prospects that is the positive, it's the relief that every week, it's not about 3 points, the pressure is taken away for that vital early period in your career and the focus is on development. Whilst I believe some thrive under pressure (me included) many people crumble a la Kevin Thornton as an extreme example.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed, but then I'm always drawn to this comment about lower league youth and when they get an offer, similar to Bigi, in the Prem. Constantly, it's not just the better money or prospects that is the positive, it's the relief that every week, it's not about 3 points, the pressure is taken away for that vital early period in your career and the focus is on development. Whilst I believe some thrive under pressure (me included) many people crumble a la Kevin Thornton as an extreme example.

Thornton's a sad story indeed, and I don't doubt that, especially as a goalkeeper, he needs to be broken in slowly. However with our current resources we just don't have that luxury and if Murphy is unavailable for whatever reason somebody has to be able to step up, and Chris Dunn isn't that man.

Covstu

Murph is a good keeper, i dont think you will get much better in this league. I would have no issue playign Burge at County but one bad game can kill a young keepers confidence so Pressley would need to make sure he is ready for that. I can just see us losing 4-0 and the fans on Burge's back immediately!

theprince

So annoying the Kevin Thornton story loads of natural ability and could have been a real star, just wonder what he thinks.

RoboCCFC90

I have no problem with playing Burge in the last game, but even though I think his stock is rising he shouldn't be kept around the place yet, send him out on loan next season at a higher level and see where it takes him..

Joy Division

People seem quick to write off Chris Dunn after only 45 minutes against Crewe.

Last edited:

Joy Division

It's more that, like Danny Ireland, no manager has seen fit to use him in games even in competitions like the JPT.

Though I'd say the managers we've had this season have, correctly in my view seen Murphy as a solid number 1 where there is no need to drop him for another player.

WillieStanley

Thornton's a sad story indeed, and I don't doubt that, especially as a goalkeeper, he needs to be broken in slowly. However with our current resources we just don't have that luxury and if Murphy is unavailable for whatever reason somebody has to be able to step up, and Chris Dunn isn't that man.

I get that. I do think, though, by having him as a second choice could do more harm than good. Especially given the little patience The Ricoh Arena has. If you're good enough your old enough mantra is rubbish. If you're good enough and still young, you still need that protective environment. I'd rather ship Dunn out and draft in a decent number 2 keeper and reap the benefits of a vastly improved Burge later down the line. Someone mentioned Kirkland earlier. I'm sure that if we hadn't thrown him in so young he wouldn't have had the tragic run of injuries he has and would have been a fine England number 1. With youth you need patience - which is why we will need to be patient next year because it seems we are going to get a lot of youth coming through and they're not going to get it right all of the time. Hopefully Pressley will be sensible with his youth policy and not allow them to become damaged goods before they're 20.

ccfctommy

Dunn has another year on his contract right?

Thornton has done pretty well, at Wrexham who can get promoted.

Nonleagueherewecome

But for his talent Thornton should be a lot higher, and Wrexham is one of the bigger clubs he's had of late.

I'm glad Burge has said this: he should be fighting for a place next season. Being the star player for a midtable BSP side at his age is a decent achievement. And any ambitious youngster wants to play games. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you think of Murphy, if Burge gets a chance, say from injury to Murphy, he may well excel and keep his place.

WillieStanley

Kevin Thornton transfer historyFromToDateFeeUnassigned Players Wrexham 1 Jan 2013Free Transfer Unassigned Players Nuneaton 27 Sep 2011Free Transfer Northampton Town Unassigned Players 31 Aug 2011Released Unassigned Players Northampton Town 8 Jan 2010Free Transfer Coventry City Unassigned Players 17 Aug 2009Released Coventry City Brighton and Hove Albion 26 Sep 2008Loan : Expired

Brighton move could ignite Kevin Thornton's career

By Andy Turner on Sep 26, 08 07:45 AM in Gossip

Thornton.jpg

SKY BLUES' supporters may have been surprised and some even disappointed to hear that Kevin Thornton is set to go out on loan to Brighton.
But a run of first team football has got to be a good thing for the 22-year-old nearly man who has impressed and angered successive managers who have seen him not make the most of his talent.
Year after year we want the exciting midfielder to finally make his mark in the first team.
And season after season something always happens to send him off course, whether it be injury or leaning towards self destruction.

But let's hope that this time Thornton can get it right.
That he can take League One by storm and return to the Ricoh fit and raring to force himself into the team and stay there.
He is a genuine crowd pleaser when he is in full flow and has huge potential at this level, but patience is running thin.
Over to you Kevin.

I think that was the last positive article written about him as a Sky Blue, and even that is pretty grim!!

Nonleagueherewecome

Harsh to say "make an impact on the first team"-to be fair he was generally our best player along with Tabb whenever I saw him. Both the people I went with regularly felt the same. Frustrating as hell that he didn't fulfil his potential.

WillieStanley

What's become of Danny Ireland since leaving, anyone know?

Lambton Jaffas
Following his release from Coventry, Ireland returned home to Australia and joined Lambton Jaffas FC, who have recently been promoted to the Northern New South Wales State Football League for the 2013 season.

From Wiki. Lambton Jaffas surely can't be real???!!!

Users who are viewing this thread