Burge "injured" (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Burge's problem is that he gets to the ball, gets both hands on it but when he hits a player he just loses control. A decent keeper would hold the ball and take the hit, even if that meant going over the player he's bumped into and taking the hit off the floor.

Something that concerns me with him now is that he's 25, been playing first team football for years, at a lower level and he's still making the same mistakes.

Irish Sky Blue

Well none against us, they always seem to pull off amazing saves when at the Ricoh. Is that just EVERY teams goalie is lucky against us, or EVERY other goalie is just streets ahead of our own?! Who knows as I don't watch other teams keepers week in week out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Off the top of my head, both the Luton and Wycombe keepers made mistakes at the Ricoh that cost their teams goals and points. No excuse for Burge though, bad mistake set us on the road to a defeat. Is O’Brian the answer? I don’t think so.

Adge

Burge's problem is that he gets to the ball, gets both hands on it but when he hits a player he just loses control. A decent keeper would hold the ball and take the hit, even if that meant going over the player he's bumped into and taking the hit off the floor.

Something that concerns me with him now is that he's 25, been playing first team football for years, at a lower level and he's still making the same mistakes.
Yep-this. I was at Newport and his fantastic save was rightfully heralded at the time. Just as he was rightly praised for that, he should be rightly criticised for yesterday’s shambles.
And again I will reiterate that going forward he is not the answer, no doubt that some still think that the academy graduate from the “golden generation” is though and will continue to accept it come what may.

pastythegreat

Off the top of my head, both the Luton and Wycombe keepers made mistakes at the Ricoh that cost their teams goals and points. No excuse for Burge though, bad mistake set us on the road to a defeat. Is O’Brian the answer? I don’t think so.
No, LOB isn't the answer. We need a good, rounded and experienced keeper if we're EVER to achieve anything. We've persisted with bang average, inexperienced keepers for far too long now, and were paying the price! We're in the lowest league of professional football and looking less likely to get out of it.

And as far as the Luton game goes, I don't understand where their keeper made a mistake? if you mean saving at shot only for his defenders to stand gawping as it landed at Vincettis' feet. And if so, Burge fucked up at the other end cancelling out the mistake anyway so again, were back to Burge. If anything Burges error was more costly as it allowed Luton back into the game at the perfect time.

And Wycombe?? Where was the keepers mistake there? Being lobbed by an absolute fluke of a shot from half way? A great finish by McNulty? Or the pen? Because in my eyes he could of done nothing about any of them!

Gilbo

He needs to get in the gym.

Nick

Administrator
He isn't a skinny fella though. He should be going through and taking the ball and players.

coop

Apparently it all kicked off in the changing room at half time which isn't a surprise.

Hobo

What goes on in the changing room should stay there. We don't need rumour and speculation. They are all big boys. Perhaps Baker can actually have a role now as people keep banging on about his influence?

Still a lot to play for and time for everyone to stick together.

Irish Sky Blue

No, LOB isn't the answer. We need a good, rounded and experienced keeper if we're EVER to achieve anything. We've persisted with bang average, inexperienced keepers for far too long now, and were paying the price! We're in the lowest league of professional football and looking less likely to get out of it.

And as far as the Luton game goes, I don't understand where their keeper made a mistake? if you mean saving at shot only for his defenders to stand gawping as it landed at Vincettis' feet. And if so, Burge fucked up at the other end cancelling out the mistake anyway so again, were back to Burge. If anything Burges error was more costly as it allowed Luton back into the game at the perfect time.

And Wycombe?? Where was the keepers mistake there? Being lobbed by an absolute fluke of a shot from half way? A great finish by McNulty? Or the pen? Because in my eyes he could of done nothing about any of them!

Disagree. The Wycombe keeper’s attempt to push Doyle’s ‘lob’ over the bar was feeble. The Luton keeper had the opportunity to palm the shot to one side. Instead he holds his hands up almost as if he is protecting his face, pushes the ball up in the air and straight out to Vincenti. If Burge had done anything like that he would be rightly criticised.

pastythegreat

Disagree. The Wycombe keeper’s attempt to push Doyle’s ‘lob’ over the bar was feeble. The Luton keeper had the opportunity to palm the shot to one side. Instead he holds his hands up almost as if he is protecting his face, pushes the ball up in the air and straight out to Vincenti. If Burge had done anything like that he would be rightly criticised.
The Wycombe keepers attempt to push the lob over the bar?? What attempt. He wasn't even near the ball so how feeble we talking? Non existent, in your head feeble? Or just feeble?

Irish Sky Blue

The Wycombe keepers attempt to push the lob over the bar?? What attempt. He wasn't even near the ball so how feeble we talking? Non existent, in your head feeble? Or just feeble?

No, having watched it again feeble, just to check I wasn’t mistaken. He puts his hands up in an attempt to either stop the ball or push it over the bar and in the end does neither. He may have even mistimed his jump. Either way he shouldn’t have been beaten.

Mucca Mad Boys

Hilarious. All the criticism he gets from Cov fans... Gets in L2 team of the year hahaha!

Willis also made L2 team of the year — some folk suggested we should’ve sold him...

Joy Division

I haven't read the whole thread but has Oggy been blamed yet?

Sterling Archer

There seems to be quite a re-writing of history on this site. I recall Joe Murphy getting a shed load of abuse from people on here when we had him, now he's included in "harking back to the good old days of having superb keepers."

Reactions: vow

Gilbo

There seems to be quite a re-writing of history on this site. I recall Joe Murphy getting a shed load of abuse from people on here when we had him, now he's included in "harking back to the good old days of having superb keepers."
Murphy couldn’t kick or catch....

Johhny Blue

How can you say the Wycombe keeper couldn't do anything with a flukey shot from halfway? If That happened to Burge I just don't see a ton of posts saying he was unlucky or "couldn't do anything about it"

Users who are viewing this thread