Burge (and the loans) (1 Viewer)

lewys33

I don't want to blame Burge at all for the goal last night. The reality is in those situations the striker should always score. I can't help but think though that if we had a better keeper there is just a better chance we could snatch points from these games from that 1 save here or there.

I think we should have sacrificed one of the loans for a goalkeeper. Pennington or Odelusi. They are both average players who could be covered by other players. I just think the goalkeeper position is far more important considering the position we find ourselves in.

ajsccfc

Burge's reflex save late in the first half prevented us going into half-time a goal down, I can't fault him for yesterday apart from what seems to be his fixation on kicking directly to the opposite goalkeeper.

skybluegod

Burges save at the end of the first half was brilliant, and he is getting better with every game. Very few goalkeepers would have stopped that goal and I doubt any at our level would.

Pennington was probably yet again our best player last night and you want to send him back? He's our best defender, the only reason we conceded last night is because the pitch gave way so Martin slipped and was unable to clear the ball

lewys33

The save that was perfectly just to the right of him where his hands should be? It might have looked good but I don't think it was as great as everyone is making out. If he hadn't of saved it and was flapping like a bird everyone would be saying differently.

westofrayne

Burges save at the end of the first half was brilliant, and he is getting better with every game. Very few goalkeepers would have stopped that goal and I doubt any at our level would.

Pennington was probably yet again our best player last night and you want to send him back? He's our best defender, the only reason we conceded last night is because the pitch gave way so Martin slipped and was unable to clear the ball

Totally agree, I'm not sure why there is a fixation with blaming Burge for every goal we concede, yes his young, yes he makes mistakes and also saves plenty of efforts, look at Joe Hart for example, how many mistakes does he make, more than Burge I suspect, but he has a team round him that can make up for those mistakes.

Burge is young, he will only improve with playing, there is no guarantee that any keep that was brought in would not make mistakes. His reflexes saved us in the first half, sorry but that ball last night should not have got to our pen area, if we are looking at blame look at the team as a whole.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think we should have signed a keeper but the obvious sacrifice is the non league left back.

skybluegod

The save that was perfectly just to the right of him where his hands should be? It might have looked good but I don't think it was as great as everyone is making out. If he hadn't of saved it and was flapping like a bird everyone would be saying differently.

A free header, from darius Henderson 3 yards out, I'd say it was a pretty brilliant save, no matter how close to him it was, it's still a great reaction stop.

skybluesam66

Pennington was probably yet again our best player last night and you want to send him back? He's our best defender, the only reason we conceded last night is because Martin is not a footballer

corrected for you

Jackoskyblue

Burge is growing as a player game by game imo keep him between tbe sticks was solid against Peterborough and made a worldie save last night. Also Reece Charles cook in the warm up last night looked immense as a side note

skybluetony176

Personally I think he's a better goal keeper than many on here give him credit for. His weaknesses are coachable so he should be able to improve and quickly with the right coaching. His save at the end of the first half is something you can't coach. That's natural ability and you either have it or you don't and he has it so the foundation is there for him to improve. I also wonder how much better he'd be if we had a decent back line.

wal3590

Can we please stop picking on Burge, I think he is getting better and better now he is growing in confidence. He will continue to get better also under Oggy, Murphy was a bit shakey at the start, look how Oggy developed him, also with Westwood. Its not like he is making awful mistakes each week, hes actually making some very decent saves, yes his kicking can be questioned but that will be sorted.

Terry Gibson's perm

Can we please stop picking on Burge, I think he is getting better and better now he is growing in confidence. He will continue to get better also under Oggy, Murphy was a bit shakey at the start, look how Oggy developed him, also with Westwood. Its not like he is making awful mistakes each week, hes actually making some very decent saves, yes his kicking can be questioned but that will be sorted.

On the kicking it is like having Oggy back his distribution was also terrible it was like a breath of fresh air when Hedman came in a could move the ball on quickly without looking where the valve was on the ball before kicking it.

ccfcway

I think we should have sacrificed one of the loans for a goalkeeper. Pennington or Odelusi. They are both average players who could be covered by other players. I just think the goalkeeper position is far more important considering the position we find ourselves in.

Funny, from what i have seen i would give Pennington player of the year

Terry Gibson's perm

I can't see who else could win it, I think he will be playing a higher level than this next season and gives more effort than some of our contracted players.

ajsccfc

From the little I've seen of Ward, if he was with us for the season he'd walk that award.

stupot07

From the little I've seen of Ward, if he was with us for the season he'd walk that award.

Yep, far too good for us, will be playing a league higher next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

LJC_CCFC

Why is it that after every win people go over the top in terms of positivity, yet when we lose the opposite happens.

Making knee jerk reactions or giving generalised opinions based on the last game played is on the whole pointless. See the bigger picture.

We have improved under TM, barring individual defensive errors. His job is to keep us in the division and currently he is doing that.

Pre-season is when the rebuilding process begins.

eastwoodsdustman

Burge's save last night was superb. We were right behind him and it looked a goal all the way. Can't believe that people are complaining that his kicks are going too far upfield! If they weren't getting to the half way line then you'd have something to moan about.
On another point, too many players seem to be slipping over on the pitch at home games. A change of boots or studs might be the simple solution instead of wearing the latest in football boot fashion.

Terry Gibson's perm

Burge's save last night was superb. We were right behind him and it looked a goal all the way. Can't believe that people are complaining that his kicks are going too far upfield! If they weren't getting to the half way line then you'd have something to moan about.
On another point, too many players seem to be slipping over on the pitch at home games. A change of boots or studs might be the simple solution instead of wearing the latest in football boot fashion.

I think he struggles to keep it on the island.

Hobo

I agree, I think he has brought a bit of stability to the defence, he is the last loan player I would be looking to dispense with. Burge seems to have improved with game time, also he is still very young in goalkeeping terms.

It is more like Webster, Martin, Fleck, Jim O'Brien, Tudgay and Nouble who have let us down this year. People who would be classed as our more senior players.

People like Phillips, Haynes, Finch and Stokes you expect some inconsistency from as they are young and still developing.

Reda Johnson and Danny Pugh have been a big drain on limited resources due to injury. I am not even sure what Pugh's injury has been?

torchomatic

Yep, fantastic save. Distribution continues to be poor. As you said he kicked it to their keeper. Also, continues to kick it into touch and take so long to take goal-kicks, even when we are losing.

Too late now but I would prefer a more experienced keeper.

Burge's reflex save late in the first half prevented us going into half-time a goal down, I can't fault him for yesterday apart from what seems to be his fixation on kicking directly to the opposite goalkeeper.

lewys33

Why is it that after every win people go over the top in terms of positivity, yet when we lose the opposite happens.

Making knee jerk reactions or giving generalised opinions based on the last game played is on the whole pointless. See the bigger picture.

We have improved under TM, barring individual defensive errors. His job is to keep us in the division and currently he is doing that.

Pre-season is when the rebuilding process begins.

Who is knee-jerking? I've said it all along that he concerns me every time the ball is in our box. Like I said I am not blaming him for the loss last night, and a good goalkeeper still needs a good defence in front of him, however my opinion is that he is the weakest link, followed closely by Martin.

A free header, from darius Henderson 3 yards out, I'd say it was a pretty brilliant save, no matter how close to him it was, it's still a great reaction stop.

It was a good save, but nothing any other goalkeeper should struggle with in my opinion. If a goalkeeper doesn't have good reactions then why is he in goal? I've never questioned his reactions. It's many other areas he struggles with.

I probably wouldn't argue too much with that. But let's not pretend it is because he is an amazing defender. He is slightly above average at best and looks good in a poor team.

lewys33

I think people are missing the point here. I have never said he has cost us, nor have I said he is the reason we lost. The goalkeeper is the last chance so everything before that is obviously other players fault. I would just like to have more confidence in when it gets to that stage that we may still stop the goal.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Got done at the near post again, every keeper gets done at the near post now and again but its happening almost every week at the moment.

stupot07

On second inspection the save before half time was more routine than it had initially looked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

SkyBlue_Bear83

On second inspection the save before half time was more routine than it had initially looked

It was decent but was saveable, the striker really should have buried it.

stupot07

It was decent but was saveable, the striker really should have buried it.

Yep, headed it straight at Burge, either side it was 1-0.

ccfcway

I probably wouldn't argue too much with that. But let's not pretend it is because he is an amazing defender. He is slightly above average at best and looks good in a poor team.

who is ?

he would win player of the year on the basis he is the best of a bad bunch.

Slightly above average in a well below average team will always make him stand out

ccfcway

If lasts night defeat would have happened last month under SP , this place would have gone into overdrive. Today is nothing like that, despite the performance being every bit as poor as some games last month

SkyBlue_Bear83

If lasts night defeat would have happened last month under SP , this place would have gone into overdrive. Today is nothing like that, despite the performance being every bit as poor as some games last month

Thats because under SP we'd have still probably been in the bottom 4 and in danger of being cut adrift, I'm still quietly confident that with our position we can pick up the remaining points to see us safe.

LJC_CCFC

If you think the performance last night was as poor as ones under SP you're crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread