Broadband (1 Viewer)

Rich

Has anyone managed to get out of a broadband contract with Virgin?

I've only recently joined them and the service is shocking. I work from home so need a good provider but this is just awful.

Suggestions for a good provider welcome too?

chiefdave

Good luck. I had Virgin a few years ago and moved to a house where they couldn’t provide any service yet they still wouldn’t let me out of the contract.

Rich

Is it just running slow or something?
It’s just dropping service completely for an hour or two at a time. Seems to happen about 3 times a week. So frustrating when I’m trying to work.

Si80

I've got Vodafone Gigafast 500MB FTTH for £30 a month and has been rock solid since install 5 months ago.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I've been wondering if it might be that the work from home has added more usage onto their home broadband? As one of the largest providers they'd have more users.

I'm not a techie so have no idea if that's how it even works.

Evo1883

Are you all using their fibre or their basic broadband? I had absolutely no problem with virgins fibre network(cable) before moving home, I'm now with zen Internet FTTP which is very nice too

Rich

Are you all using their fibre or their basic broadband? I had absolutely no problem with virgins fibre network(cable) before moving home, I'm now with zen Internet FTTP which is very nice too
I’m on fibre mate.

Covstu

I had virgin and we switched as the whole package was getting too expensive and they kept banging on a few quid each year. We moved to talk talk and whilst it’s a little slower for full downloading etc it’s been constant. I work from home and never get a signal problem and runs online games etc fine. Pay less than half what i used too

shmmeee

I've been wondering if it might be that the work from home has added more usage onto their home broadband? As one of the largest providers they'd have more users.

I'm not a techie so have no idea if that's how it even works.

Virgin massively oversubscribe I believe. So WFH will have hit them as their models Will assume low home usage during the day.

I’ve just moved to my Dads, I was on Virgin and it’s drop like Rich says, but generally OK. Dads on Vodafone is it’s fucking terrible. I’m having to use my mobile to join Teams meetings because the quality on WiFi is so poor.

shmmeee

I had virgin and we switched as the whole package was getting too expensive and they kept banging on a few quid each year. We moved to talk talk and whilst it’s a little slower for full downloading etc it’s been constant. I work from home and never get a signal problem and runs online games etc fine. Pay less than half what i used too

Just for anyone else, the process with Virgin to get a discount is:

Call and say you’re leaving.
Say it’s about price.
Keep saying no to their offers.
You’ll get a call, refuse that offer
You’ll eventually get another call from another department who can offer proper deals.

Got mine down from £52/mo to £20/no like this. Three weeks after I cancelled. I’d already signed up with someone else and had to use my cancellation period.

Sick Boy

I’ve managed to terminate a contract early with Virgin but you need to be good at complaining and persistent with them. Their customer service was shocking and at one point the operative actually accused me of telling lies, despite terms being written down digitally and on paper.

In the end I got assigned someone senior in the company to deal with any issue I had, even when wanting to sign back up again a few years later, it was brilliant. ;)

Covstu

Just for anyone else, the process with Virgin to get a discount is:

Call and say you’re leaving.
Say it’s about price.
Keep saying no to their offers.
You’ll get a call, refuse that offer
You’ll eventually get another call from another department who can offer proper deals.

Got mine down from £52/mo to £20/no like this. Three weeks after I cancelled. I’d already signed up with someone else and had to use my cancellation period.
Exactly what happened to me, 3 offers then about a week before activation they offered the same deal. I went nuts at the guy as I woudnt have moved but just couldn’t justify the ongoing costs. Not been disappointed however

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I went the other way. Switched from sky to virgin in April. The guy who installed it left me with the tv system that was down and told me to try installing later. 24 hours later I finally got tv on.

Internet was the. In and out for 3 days, and then on top of that they couldn’t install a multi room box.

in the end I used the get out period to cancel the contract and crawled back to sky - I find that the sky Wifi is better than the virgin box.

never again

SBAndy

I went the other way. Switched from sky to virgin in April. The guy who installed it left me with the tv system that was down and told me to try installing later. 24 hours later I finally got tv on.

Internet was the. In and out for 3 days, and then on top of that they couldn’t install a multi room box.

in the end I used the get out period to cancel the contract and crawled back to sky - I find that the sky Wifi is better than the virgin box.

never again

This. Recently switched to Virgin (albeit from BT) due to a pretty good offer and the promise of 512mbps broadband. Given I’m working from home for the foreseeable, wanted to ensure the internet connection was as good and reliable as possible as I’d had intermittent issues (couple of weeks in 6mths). Horrendous mistake, with WiFi inconsistent and dropping daily. Wired connection was rapid but given I’m not the only person in the house, it’s unacceptable for their core service provision to be that poor.

Anyway, Sky have now offered a comparative deal and have been with them previously without issue. Only downside is we’ll have no internet for 6 days between Virgin turning it off and Sky installing.

hill83

BT FTTP, I had it in Eastern Green and just got it now I've moved to Earlsdon. The are rolling it out across Coventry. Not a bad word to say about it. Takes the engineer about 2 hours to install the new fibre line from the telephone pole and drill a hole where you choose in your house. No line rental as it doesn't use the telephone line.

Capture.PNG

chiefdave

BT FTTP, I had it in Eastern Green and just got it now I've moved to Earlsdon. The are rolling it out across Coventry. Bot a bad word to say about it. Takes the engineer about 2 hours to install the new fibre line from the telephone pole and drill a hole where you choose in your house. No line rental as it doesn't use the telephone line.

View attachment 17373
Hoping this comes to Finham, would be signing up straight away. Already with BT so hopefully could get an upgrade while still in contract.

hill83

Hoping this comes to Finham, would be signing up straight away. Already with BT so hopefully could get an upgrade while still in contract.

Honestly, it's incredible. And you can upgrade while still in contract.

Free installation by Openreach and once out of contract you can use any other provider. But I'll be sticking with BT personally.

Kieranp96

I've been with vm for years, only just upgraded to gigabit, or so I'm Paying as I'm still getting same speeds I was prior, waiting for there slow ass engineers to book a spot to fix it.

vow

I've been with vm for years, only just upgraded to gigabit, or so I'm Paying as I'm still getting same speeds I was prior, waiting for there slow ass engineers to book a spot to fix it.
Same, we've had cable internet since the Coventry Cable days! NTL and now Virgin without much fuss tbf.

However, you're not the first person I've come across that has mentioned re. speed of the GIGABIT (also 500 meg) being some way short of advertised speed. We're on 200 meg and it's been good but contract is coming to an end v soon, so we're gonna 'cancel' and wait for the offers from the Retention team to come in before renewing (as we have done the last 4 years).

Hope you get it sorted, let us know how you get on.

Kieranp96

Same, we've had cable internet since the Coventry Cable days! NTL and now Virgin without much fuss tbf.

However, you're not the first person I've come across that has mentioned re. speed of the GIGABIT (also 500 meg) being some way short of advertised speed. We're on 200 meg and it's been good but contract is coming to an end v soon, so we're gonna 'cancel' and wait for the offers from the Retention team to come in before renewing (as we have done the last 4 years).

It turned out my pc network card was not capable of 1000mbps even though it was rated so upgraded network card and hitting 1000mbps apart from midday.

Reactions: vow

Terry Gibson's perm

I have just renewed with Virgin i was paying £106 and it went up to £143 so I said I can’t afford it they knocked it down to £104 and back dated it to the end of the contract.

I have

Internet
Phone
Sky and bt
Movies etc
Hd
3 boxes
A free unlimited SIM card for my mobile

Darth Robins

10445926289.png

Pretty happy with this so far, Speedtest seems to have issues showing my full download speed but I get damn near the full gbit on actual downloads!

Users who are viewing this thread