Britains Hidden Hungry (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody else watching? Its in cov!

Grendel

Most hilarious quote of the week "Darren seems to be the only person visiting the food bank who buys Parma Ham on the way home"

Nick

Administrator
Should be made to pay it back!

Funny how the charity fella was jumping down peoples throats asking who thr food was for but gave him run of the mill.

It was really quite sad to see some situations like the young girl, the other lady struggled for food but had about 4 dogs in holbrooks!

Disorganised1

I used to help out with feeding the homeless on a Sunday, it's a very strange mix of people you get. The grateful, the greedy, the scrounging, the just plain tired.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
What channel was it on? Will it be on catch-up anywhere?

Nick

Administrator
The african lady was also sitting there with a new mac and 50 inch tv they got when they worked. Why not get it on ebay? Good grands worth between them there!

That is why i am always weary with charities like that, clearly shows they have no idea who they give the food to.

wingy

I used to help out with feeding the homeless on a Sunday, it's a very strange mix of people you get. The grateful, the greedy, the scrounging, the just plain tired.

The surprising bit to this charity is how many people are working and who need to use its facilities ,not just benefits claimants ,it can only get worse with the withdrawal of tax credits,I believe its the biggest/busiest in the country.:(

dutchman

The surprising bit to this charity is how many people are working and who need to use its facilities

A recent report claims that nearly five million people in Britain are paid less than they need to survive, despite the existence of a national minimum wage.

One In Five 'Paid Less Than Living Wage'

Something similar happened during the Great Depression. In addition to the 25% of the workforce who were totally without work, another 25% existed on starvation wages.

Disorganised1

I can afford the living - its the tax that's killing me !

Nick

Administrator
I know a lot of people say "so sell something or cut down" which is what I probably would have thought, when I lived at home with my mum. When you own a house it is a lot different with silly things like water rates, home insurance, life insurance etc etc. They do add up and with energy bills going up all of the time and wages not being increased it will get to the point where everybody will struggle (unless they are really well off).

As the woman on the show said, what buggered her up was wanting to get a job which then hammered her benefits.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
what struck me was the difference in attitudes ....... the guy who was obtaining goods by deception, using his son to con people,telling bare faced lies, the woman who couldnt make ends meet but had a house full of dogs and kids playing computer games on a huge tv, living off takeaways ........ then you have the young girl who lived on £20pw food, sold all she could and was desperate to make something of herself.

there is only one there that has my real sympathies and respect and i hope that young lady finds success so that living on £20 becomes but a bad memory.

The thing that made me cringe was the patronising approach of the woman standing on stage telling us to remember the poor, then they go right ahead bend the rules and help a con man. Sorry but they are just people, not the "poor" pitied and somehow less than worthy..... help those in trouble yes dont patronise them in the name of religion. Sorry if that offends but just my opinion

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Have to agree. When she cashed in her laptop for 25 quid with all her college work on and was out trying to raise money and volunteering.

It was nice of the camera guy to literally give her the money to go get it back but it puts it into perspective doesnt it. She wants to make something of herself but is struggling but people who are happy to just get their dole money and a bit of benefit fraud prosper.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
certainly does Nick ....... she was prepared to take responsibility for herself just needed a helping start ....... the others summed up the stereotypical view of dole scroungers. I suspect however there are a lot like that young lady but you never get to hear their stories

Nick

Administrator
I am no millionaire, but to hear her saying just how much 35 pounds meant to her and how much money it was. A few years ago id spend more than that on a round of drinks.

Certainly put things in perspective too.

Nick

Administrator
I am no millionaire, but to hear her saying just how much 35 pounds meant to her and how much money it was. A few years ago id spend more than that on a round of drinks.

Certainly put things in perspective too.

Darth Robins

Yeah it said at the end that she was now studying to become a social worker, considering her situation and upbringing I was really impressed with her attitude and I hope someone in a position to give her a break with either a job or helping her with getting through College/Uni was watching that because I think she really deserves it.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
obtaining goods or a pecuniary advantage by deception i always thought was a criminal offence, if so i doubt he will be an active member much longer nick ................. :whistle:

Nick

Administrator
I said to my wife at the time before we found out he was dodgy that it was strange he was taking his kid down there with him, who would want their kids to see things like that. :jerkit:

Nick

Administrator
In the telegraph today that Darren is a known con man. Has conned money out of people saying his wife will take his kids!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
His face is well known now though eh? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread