Bristol ratings/rantings (1 Viewer)

Frostie

Can’t be arsed to go through the whole team, but Bidwell was obviously great, and surely Ben Wilson is worth a mention. If you didn’t have the benefit of the expert opinions on here, and simply watched his recent performances, you’d think he was a pretty decent keeper.

Hmmm still not convinced.
He's an ok stopper but has no real command of his area. Remains almost glued to his line which we had made strides to move away from with Moore replacing Marosi. Makes us particularly vulnerable at set pieces, you'll notice how much we are targeted with balls in to the 6 yard box. That kick in stoppage time that he shanked straight out had Robins absolutely livid too.

He deserves the shirt for now but if we want to progress he will need upgrading on.

rob9872

Solid performance for the defence and keeper.

Sheaf and Palmer decent too. Vik a bit greedy, Godden disappointed being offside but did have appalling service. Allen worked hard as slways and I do prefer him deeper but lacking that bit of quality. However we clearly went for a point from early on and hoped to snatch something that might give us 3, so well executed.

I'd prob say Godden, Allen 6s, Fanky, Wilson, Vik 6.5s, Sheaf, Palmer 7s, the 3 centre backs and Bidwell 7.5s

Alkhen

Wilson steady again, pleasantly surprised how he has taken his opportunity

Back 3 were solid never really any dodgy moments, dealt with everything thrown at them.

Bidwell has really stepped up for me, so steady. Couple of errant crosses but feels comfortable him in there.

Dabo much more like the Dabo of old. Some quality forward runs. Made me laugh when everyone said he looked knackered he chose to ping a ball past his man and chase after it like whippet, love to see that.

Sheaf is such a useful player, puts out fires.

Allen can't really remember many standout moments either way

Palmer looked great to me, some lovely passes through. Had fire in his belly and point to prove.

Vik same energy as ever but shooting was poor, can't knock him for trying though. So obvious that defences shit themselves when he is running at them.

Godden was pretty anonymous, seems to struggle in a two with Vik. Rate him hugely, definitely the best finisher at the club but I think we'll see him come off the bench and impact games once we have our midfielders back.

Overall good point, frustrating that Vik couldn't finish one of his chances.

Can't wait to have O'Hare and Hamer back available. We'll be a proper force then... Just praying that we don't lose one of the back 3 to injury as depth there is so thin

Last edited:

Essexrobbie

He wouldn’t have been if Vic actually partnered with him. Godden put himself into positions to score but Vic doesn’t even look up. Don’t get me wrong, Vic is the best player at the club by some distance… but he needs to lay it off sometimes.
As a defender I would much rather play against Vic than O'hare, because you know where he's going, you dont have to worry about others making runs behind you because Vic isn't looking for them, all you have to do is stay on your feet match him for speed and block the shot when it inevitably comes.

Terry_dactyl

Decent point but thought we could/should’ve won it.
Interesting listening to some Bristol fans on the way out, saying that they should’ve won it but acknowledging we had good chances - I think I remember Wilson making one save.
I thought vik couldn’t do much else with his 2nd chance. It was a tight angle and would’ve been impossible to pick out godden. Skying that first one was shite.
The prospect of a Hamer, O’hare, sheaf and Palmer midfield is really exciting.
I thought Allen was our weakest player today. Some of his passing and decision making was shit.
I thought the defence did well. Fankaty had a tough task but did ok. As with the rest of the team, improved in the second half.

The ref was a bellend - being fussy about our throw in but not there’s was a special highlight for me.
The standard of pasty wasn’t as good as I remember.

CCFCSteve

I think people are being harsh with Godden. He created a couple of chances by chasing and harrying, hit the bar from a corner (think it was him) and lived off scraps. I’m a massive Vik fan but he can be a bit head down when he gets the ball which isn’t ideal for a strike partner like Godden, a couple of other times he should’ve been played through, Allen being one.

I’m not sure why Robins leaves him on so long though ?! Give him 60 then freshen things up if it’s not quite working, especially with Waghorn and Walker on the bench. Godden will still get goals though, just having a rough run

Defence excellent again and Palmer MoTM for me

Macca

Palmer, Dabo and Bidwell outstanding individuals. Was also struggling to see how Dabo looked knackered

torchomatic

He wouldn’t have been if Vic actually partnered with him. Godden put himself into positions to score but Vic doesn’t even look up. Don’t get me wrong, Vic is the best player at the club by some distance… but he needs to lay it off sometimes.

Totally agree. Godden was in a great position in the box twice, a pass from Vik and chances are Godden would have scored, but Vik decided to shoot and messed it up. I know they say good strikers are greedy, but Vik needs to realise he has teammates.

fatso

A game we could of won had we been brave enough to go for it.

We were crying out for some pace and movement up front, and we had that option on the bench, but as is becoming the norm, MR had no intension of trying it.

I'm really wondering why we even bother to name a full compliment of substitutes.

Credit to the back 3, they are starting to look a lot more comfortable together, there's still a long way to go, and we have next to zero cover for them, but I'm not missing Rose or Hyam at all.

Birdwell m.o.m. very solid performance.

cooperskyblue

We could, possibly should have won it. If we had Hamer, O'Hare on the bench I think we could have taken the initiative earlier to take the game away from them.

Godden is a goalscorer, he needs service, issue is Vik has tunnel vision when on one of his powerful runs so Godden gets into a position for a tap in but never gets the ball, so as a result his overall impact on the game appears minimal.

Palmer was very good great for him to get his first full 90 minutes. But so calm on the ball. Sees the pictures infront of him and goes for that killer, incisive pass. We have a player there which is very promising.

Bidwell super solid defensively and is forging a good relationship with Panzo who also looks very promising. Another worthy mention to Fadz and Doyle too.

Allen's passing was dissapointing and more quality there would have helped.

All in all good point!

ms639

Rant incoming. Big Vik.

I get that he has single handedly won us games already this season, he was phenomenal against boro on Saturday and battered their defence all game.

We have changed our style while COH is out to go more direct and play to Vik’s strengths. That means Godden is getting wrongly slated for not doing enough, actually if you watch him off the ball he is doing everything to create space and opportunities for Vik. Vik HAS to repay this by playing a fucking 6 yard pass now and again.

Time and time again last night he could have slid another player in, the 2 that stand out most were to Godden and Bidwell. Afraid to say that he increasingly looks like he is entirely out for himself, sometimes that will be great for us but more often than not we miss out on golden chances because he doesn’t look up or (more likely) opts to go alone for the glory when a pass is the right option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

I actually felt a little for Godden last night he had created space waiting for a pass but Vik totally ignored someone in a better position. Vik is a great player but not much of a team player atm. Also thought Allen stuck to his position last night and battled well, he really isn't the greatest but he was very disciplined last night, we could have done with someone like that Weiman who managed to find plenty of space to recieve and pass the ball, not that he done that much with it. Dabo did look as though he was tiring, I said to my lad he looked knackered then he got another wind from somewhere and off he went again, Dabo not my lad ..... Defence once again kept a clean sheet Doyle was pretty solid as they all were but Bidwell has shocked me at how well and consistent he is performing, loved it late on when Sheaf pushed their player and Bidwell was right in the face of that feckin useless ref... would have loved 3 points but I think a draw was probably a fair result overall although they didn't really threaten Benny Hill and his pathetic attempts at kicking in goal. Really liking Palmer he's got a few little tricks and reasonably quick too... Sheaf was solid too

Sky Blue Pete

I actually felt a little for Godden last night he had created space waiting for a pass but Vik totally ignored someone in a better position. Vik is a great player but not much of a team player atm. Also thought Allen stuck to his position last night and battled well, he really isn't the greatest but he was very disciplined last night, we could have done with someone like that Weiman who managed to find plenty of space to recieve and pass the ball, not that he done that much with it. Dabo did look as though he was tiring, I said to my lad he looked knackered then he got another wind from somewhere and off he went again, Dabo not my lad ..... Defence once again kept a clean sheet Doyle was pretty solid as they all were but Bidwell has shocked me at how well and consistent he is performing, loved it late on when Sheaf pushed their player and Bidwell was right in the face of that feckin useless ref... would have loved 3 points but I think a draw was probably a fair result overall although they didn't really threaten Benny Hill and his pathetic attempts at kicking in goal. Really liking Palmer he's got a few little tricks and reasonably quick too... Sheaf was solid too
Vic made a few passes second half I thought he was less greedy last night than any game I’ve seen this season
Doyle my mom for seeing so many dangerous situations and sorting them. He’ll be first team at Man City by 21

Tommo1993

Godden really could’ve hat a hat trick last night. I don’t want Gyokeres to stop running at defenders like he does, but there’s a time to pass. Very good player when he switches it on but imo still miles from being a premier league player. His tunnel vision is getting on my nerves. Allen should also be called out for that missed pass in the 5th minute, that would’ve been a nailed on 1-0.

To his credit he did put in that low cross for Godden, it just needs to happen more.

theferret

Rant incoming. Big Vik.

I get that he has single handedly won us games already this season, he was phenomenal against boro on Saturday and battered their defence all game.

We have changed our style while COH is out to go more direct and play to Vik’s strengths. That means Godden is getting wrongly slated for not doing enough, actually if you watch him off the ball he is doing everything to create space and opportunities for Vik. Vik HAS to repay this by playing a fucking 6 yard pass now and again.

Time and time again last night he could have slid another player in, the 2 that stand out most were to Godden and Bidwell. Afraid to say that he increasingly looks like he is entirely out for himself, sometimes that will be great for us but more often than not we miss out on golden chances because he doesn’t look up or (more likely) opts to go alone for the glory when a pass is the right option.

Not getting the time and time again thing.

Two occasions in the 1st half Godden was the better option, but the 2nd occasion you could see Vik was looking for the pass but it just wasn't on and Godden had strayed offside.

2nd half, Vik plays it in to Godden for his best opportunity of the game but the defender does well.

That's it, and the two chances he had, any striker worth his salt is having a shot at goal there. Just about everything we did going forward last night Vik had created himself.

If we're talking about service, the balls into the box from both Dabo and Bidwell (who had a good game overall) were shocking. Godden gets quite a few of his goals from crosses, but at the moment we're just not getting high enough up the pitch and the crosses are from deep and just float out of play more often than not.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Said before about Vic being just a little bit greedy sure MR will sort that out.Godden is our best finisher but needs to be given the ball in the box.Allan for me gets through a lot of very good work think when COH comes back Allan will prove his value.Think we expect too much of our players .The stick Dabo and Wilson get on here is unreal.When our 2 star players come back we will climb the table fairly quickly.MR please look at making subs might take some of the pressure of certain players.

fatso

I
Rant incoming. Big Vik.

Don't have an issue with a striker being greedy, but if we are trying to play to his strengths then we don't need a Godden along side him, we would be better off playing another attacking midfielder instead.

Maybe Eccles (I know he's been off form lately) could of partnered Sheaf and allowed Allen to push forward alongside Palmer.

Or maybe Tavares could of been given a free roll behind Gyokeres to use his pace, I'm sure their defence wouldn't want someone with pace running at them from deep and feeding off Vik's flick ons.

Alkhen

Oh agreed, didnt mean to sound like I was down on him. more that the two doesnt seem to work. Curcumstances have lead to us having to play two up top but id be massivly supprised if Hamer and/or O'Hare don't come back in. Id love to see:

Vik
Palmer O'Hare
Bidwell Hamer Sheaf Dabo
Panzo Fad Doyle
Wilson
Plenty of time for Godden off the bench or replacing Vik if he is knackered

fatso

We could have won that game but we just wanted the draw, it's fucking depressing really.
Agreed, total lack of imagination from MR.
They were there for the taking and we never even bothered.

On the other hand, if you'd of told me 2 months ago that we would go there without Moore, Hyam, Kelly, Hamer and O'hare, I'd probably taken a point.

edgy

MR probably wanting to take the "unbeaten" and "clean sheets" mantra into the Burnley game.

stay_up_skyblues

Oh agreed, didnt mean to sound like I was down on him. more that the two doesnt seem to work. Curcumstances have lead to us having to play two up top but id be massivly supprised if Hamer and/or O'Hare don't come back in. Id love to see:

Vik
Palmer O'Hare
Bidwell Hamer Sheaf Dabo
Panzo Fad Doyle
Wilson
Plenty of time for Godden off the bench or replacing Vik if he is knackered

On paper this is tasty but unless we’re gonna keep a clean sheet most games we’re relying on Gyo to score 30+. On previous form is there even ten goals between that midfield box of four?

fernandopartridge

Can’t be arsed to go through the whole team, but Bidwell was obviously great, and surely Ben Wilson is worth a mention. If you didn’t have the benefit of the expert opinions on here, and simply watched his recent performances, you’d think he was a pretty decent keeper.
Did you miss him flapping at corners? The ball nearly bouncing over him? Him not coming for crosses the centre backs expected him to.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jamesimus

Did you miss him flapping at corners? The ball nearly bouncing over him? Him not coming for crosses the centre backs expected him to.

Yeah he kept a clean sheet, but at least a couple of set pieces he was completely caught out and his distribution throughout was pretty bad.

Thought we were largely solid, created some good chances and restricted the amount of decent Bristol chances, despite them pushing hard.

Allen comes in for some stick (albeit often deservedly) and his lack of quality was apparent a few times last night, but I actually prefer him playing that deeper role because of his energy and able to constantly press the opposition and think he did a decent job last night.

Calista

I’m not suggesting he’s a top Championship keeper, just pointing out that he’s doing a “pretty decent” job. In recent games he’s made some good saves, he’s been alert enough to come out and sweep up a few times, and got just enough of a fist on some wicked crosses into a packed 6-yard box. We haven’t been conceding. He’s probably been lucky that a lot of shots have been straight down his throat, but he really hasn’t been the disaster that some people expected when Moore had to be dropped.

Our two keepers aren’t the envy of this league, but when your first choice (Moore) badly loses form, you need to know the backup will do a job, and I’d say Wilson hasn’t let anyone down in that regard lately.

Sick Boy

I

Don't have an issue with a striker being greedy, but if we are trying to play to his strengths then we don't need a Godden along side him, we would be better off playing another attacking midfielder instead.

Maybe Eccles (I know he's been off form lately) could of partnered Sheaf and allowed Allen to push forward alongside Palmer.

Or maybe Tavares could of been given a free roll behind Gyokeres to use his pace, I'm sure their defence wouldn't want someone with pace running at them from deep and feeding off Vik's flick ons.
Tavares is 5th choice striker at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread