Bristol kill the bill protest (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Problem is both sites influence people and can potentially set in stone their beliefs for life
People tend to find out the opinions that chime with their's, there's little influencing as such. That also applies to media as a whole, where it's as much how clearly you speak to what someone already believes, as what's said.

The argument is more, how much should a media be ethically
That doesnt mean anything. Several tory landowners and media tycoons, all prominent brexiteers, all received large hand outs from the EU.
The current BBC chairman is a tory donor
BBC pretty regularly comes out as least biased news source. That doesn't mean it's without bias, everything is. Objectivity is a mythic construct.

Evo1883

However it's hard to deny the media did a cracking job on Jeremy corbyn ..

They pretty much destroyed the bloke from day 1 ..it definitely impacted the election results.

Again though , I want impartiality that's all

Starmer doesn't need the media's help to lose the next election to be fair

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's your bias showing .. the BBC received around 10% of its budget from the European Union around 17/18

Or to put it another way it received 90% of it's funding from non-EU (mainly govt) sources.

So they've got 9/10 reasons to tow the govt line and 1/10 reasons to push the EU agenda.

Do you think the BBC covered the lack of a report into institutional racism in the Tories anywhere near as much as they covered Labour's anti-Semitism? How often was Johnson asked to apologise for the Islamophobia in his party? Labour produce a report saying there were problems and it was "this is terrible - they're racist". Tories (eventually) produce a report whitewashing theirs and it's "nothing to see here" and move on. No questioning into how every single report absolves themselves of any blame.

Check out the Chairman - he leans about as right as you can without falling over, He effectively wants the thing privatised and thus having to follow whatever the biggest donors say. The Tories are trying to turn the BBC into a state propaganda machine with thinly veiled threats - do as we say or you get no funding.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Correct, they need some police brutality.

If anything, they will just be stirring the pot.

They ain't gonna get it though are they - they write the laws and always make themselves exempt.

PVA

Or to put it another way it received 90% of it's funding from non-EU (mainly govt) sources.

So they've got 9/10 reasons to tow the govt line and 1/10 reasons to push the EU agenda.

Do you think the BBC covered the lack of a report into institutional racism in the Tories anywhere near as much as they covered Labour's anti-Semitism? How often was Johnson asked to apologise for the Islamophobia in his party? Labour produce a report saying there were problems and it was "this is terrible - they're racist". Tories (eventually) produce a report whitewashing theirs and it's "nothing to see here" and move on. No questioning into how every single report absolves themselves of any blame.

Check out the Chairman - he leans about as right as you can without falling over, He effectively wants the thing privatised and thus having to follow whatever the biggest donors say. The Tories are trying to turn the BBC into a state propaganda machine with thinly veiled threats - do as we say or you get no funding.

Good post 👍🏻

BBC didn't even mention the fucking Prime Minister having a 4 year affair, including very suspect spending of public money, this week!

Evo1883

I just want impartiality, it's not that much to ask for really .

My original post was basically the media show bias ..you've just said it yourself

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I just want impartiality, it's not that much to ask for really .

My original post was basically the media show bias ..you've just said it yourself

I agree with that sentiment entirely and I believe all of them do it. I think left leaning ones like the Guardian tend to be a bit more critical of their own (though not as much as they could be) whereas the right almost totally ignore theirs or just shout "look at them" to distract attention.

None of them are impartial, but some are a little bit closer to impartiality than others.

rondog1973

The impartial BBC mate , come on have a word

Balancing on the basis of whether panellists voted for Remain or Leave, both programmes favour Remain by about 68% to 32%
Doesn't Farage hold the Question Time appearance record?

Edit: Highest average since first appearance.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Anyway enough of the meltdowns here , there's likely going to be a big one in 5 minutes on the general forum 😆

shmmeee

People tend to find out the opinions that chime with their's, there's little influencing as such. That also applies to media as a whole, where it's as much how clearly you speak to what someone already believes, as what's said.

The argument is more, how much should a media be ethically

BBC pretty regularly comes out as least biased news source. That doesn't mean it's without bias, everything is. Objectivity is a mythic construct.

As I used to teach my students, the trick isn’t finding unbiased sources it’s taking into account the bias of each source.

shmmeee

The impartial BBC mate , come on have a word

Balancing on the basis of whether panellists voted for Remain or Leave, both programmes favour Remain by about 68% to 32%

The vast majority of educated people voted Remain. The vast majority of people in media are educated. This isn’t news or a conspiracy. Knew it was all about Brexit. Time to move on mate. You’ve got a BBC scared to criticise the government or Brexit now, plus all the newspapers, plus a massive foreign funded social media campaign. I think you’ve got enough media advantage to take the odd person disagreeing with you.

skybluetony176

Doesn't Farage hold the Question Time appearance record?

Edit: Highest average since first appearance.
He does. David Dimbleby on his last ever question time also corrected David Davies when Davies also tried to claim that QT and therefore the BBC was biased to remainers. Dimbleby pointing out that there’d been far more leavers than remainers.
This seems to be one of those myths that MSM, 80% of which is owned/controlled by the same handful of families and backed Brexit peddle so they can pretend that they’re in the minority.

wingy

Not sure but there are more guests than him at any given time
The thing with QT was it underwent a big shift at some stage .
While initially it was for politicians ,then politicians and maybe journalist's ,then to general business leaders in Field ,then to think tank rep's ,then to extremes , I'm just surprised I don't think I saw Bannon on there .
Kind of influencers rather than the heat on politician's from the floor, obviously you'd expect a few activist's among them to exploit the opportunity of some focus of their choice ,but it hadn't or hasn't been an organic show for eons .
Don't know if that shift was purely down to a series of editors , presenter input or whatever.

shmmeee

Fucking one party state, national broadcaster that’s basically a press release and rumour megaphone for the govt, advisors hopping between the PM and the tabloids like god knows what, all major newspapers by circulation heavily on your side, in government for the last decade, just achieved Brexit, and what do we get “I saw a Remainer on telly once! The MsM is biased against me! I’m the victim!! :( uwu”

shmmeee

The thing with QT was it underwent a big shift at some stage .
While initially it was for politicians ,then politicians and maybe journalist's ,then to general business leaders in Field ,then to think tank rep's ,then to extremes , I'm just surprised I don't think I saw Bannon on there .
Kind of influencers rather than the heat on politician's from the floor, obviously you'd expect a few activist's among them to exploit the opportunity of some focus of their choice ,but it hadn't or hasn't been an organic show for eons .
Don't know if that shift was purely down to a series of editors , presenter input or whatever.

Head of BBC politics was a Tory appointee and the Booker for the QT audience was outed as a far right Britain First nutter who goes around seeking out Facebook lunatics to stick in there (Is BBC Question Time’s audience producer really a fascist?). But it’s OK cos I saw Eddie Izzard on there once so it’s lefty nonsense.

PVA

Tory donors in charge of the BBC and Ofcom now so it'll only get worse.

They've already cancelled one show because it was too anti government and anti Brexit. Fucking pathetic stuff.

wingy

You know what I had a wierd thought last night and thought poor Rik Mayall had somehow taken over a country .

Users who are viewing this thread