Match Thread Bristol City V Coventry City (2 Viewers)

Marty

Thought we looked good through most parts of the game, certainly not out of dept and we won't struggle like some predict, once we get up to speed and a couple more signings, we'll be more then comfortable in mid-table.

Have to say we need more pace in AM, the ball fell kindly to Allen who was in behind their CB who gobbled up the ground in front of him and made Allen look painfully slow.

Philosorapter

Slowly turning this stuff on over the next few games.

Need a few more games before I can add the line chart.

The more games played, the more accurate it should get.

Edit- moved some stuff around. Added the line chart.

Last edited:

Skybluebeliever

Thought we responded and reacted very well to conceding after 20 seconds and losing Kelly after 20 minutes , we created some great chances , passed through them and won most of the fifty fifty but still lost !!!
We have Dabo and Rose to come back in , Sheaf , walker and hamer to get used to our system

I for one am looking forward to watching this team

shmmeee

Thought we responded and reacted very well to conceding after 20 seconds and losing Kelly after 20 minutes , we created some great chances , passed through them and won most of the fifty fifty but still lost !!!
We have Dabo and Rose to come back in , Sheaf , walker and hamer to get used to our system

I for one am looking forward to watching this team

Username checks out.

EAst ender

With all possible respect, our first half was abysmal so don't set too much by our performance guys. That was piss poor.
Like you, we will hit our straps but that first half was totally unacceptable.
You've definitely got enough to compete up here though, just need to learn to take your chances and play for the full 90, not 60.
Such a long way to go and plenty of food for thought for both clubs.
I wish you well.

Last edited:

Legia Sky Blue

One thing that was apparent was our need to catch up on competitive match fitness. With the more recent games other Championship teams have played they are starting out with an edge on us. However, as the season progresses we will hopefully gain our own advantage as those teams start to tire from too many games. In the meantime our use of subs is going to be crucial. Yesterday we were forced into replacing Kelly and Hamer, who were otherwise players that would have probably played the full 90, and which meant we couldn't replace Pask when he kept getting cramp, or others that were visibly tiring. Hopefully in upcoming games MR will be able to dictate when he makes his subs, rather than events dictating them instead.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

With all possible respect, our first half was abysmal so don't set too much by our performance guys. That was piss poor.
You've definitely got enough to compete up here though, just need to learn to take your chances and play for the full 90, not 60.
I wish you well.
Definitely, I’ve said in an earlier post it seems like we can compete which is pleasing.

Problem is at this level - as you’ve said. We can’t afford to miss chances - we had 2/3 great chances at 1-1. Didn’t take them - you got a couple of chances when you were in control for the last 20 and took 1.

Good luck for the rest of the season

shmmeee

I wish you well.

Yeah with all due respect we outplayed you until we lost both of our playmakers and tired due to the lack of match fitness. Call it what you want if it makes you feel better. We gifted you two goals basically.

fernandopartridge

Just looking at their first goal again, is it Ostigard and McFadz getting sucked to the ball or Hyam caught too far behind the defensive line? Their crosser would have been offside had Hyam stepped up a bit.

jordan210

Im more gutted today that we lost this. A draw would have been just about fair but a lose is sickening. After how well we played after the goal and partly due to being on the front foot for so long run out of steam.

Hopefully we can work out what went wrong and adapt to it for future games.

larry_david

Mcfadz stepping out to try clear the ball even though he's about 10 foot away. They knocked over the top and we're fucked with Giles and hyam pushed up

BristolCity

You reminded me a lot of us when we went up. Looked good & played attractive football, only to lose to a more practical team. In the Championship you hope to win games where you play poorly, but losing games were you played well isn't acceptable.

With that being said, that'll come with experience, you obviously have a relatively young team so that's to be expected. I think you'll be fine this season, as long as you can keep your momentum and don't let your heads drop after losing to a few experienced teams then you should score enough to finish comfortably this season.

Liquid Gold

You reminded me a lot of us when we went up. Looked good & played attractive football, only to lose to a more practical team. In the Championship you hope to win games where you play poorly, but losing games were you played well isn't acceptable.

With that being said, that'll come with experience, you obviously have a relatively young team so that's to be expected. I think you'll be fine this season, as long as you can keep your momentum and don't let your heads drop after losing to a few experienced teams then you should score enough to finish comfortably this season.
Most pleased I think I’ve ever been from a draw yesterday. We outplayed you for large parts and the goals were preventable with a bit of training. We could have scored more too. Hope you lot have a good season too. I’m very optimistic about staying up now seeing how we kept our game plan and how it worked against you.

Jamesimus

Most pleased I think I’ve ever been from a draw yesterday. We outplayed you for large parts and the goals were preventable with a bit of training. We could have scored more too. Hope you lot have a good season too. I’m very optimistic about staying up now seeing how we kept our game plan and how it worked against you.

I'm really sorry to disappoint you here, but we unfortunately lost 😂

EAst ender

Yeah with all due respect we outplayed you until we lost both of our playmakers and tired due to the lack of match fitness. Call it what you want if it makes you feel better. We gifted you two goals basically.
From our point of view, we played poorly for an hour and won, 'call it what you want if it makes you feel better'.
No need for that tbh shmmeee, I was trying to be constructive. We will get better no doubt, it most certainly was not an anti Coventry Post at all. Sorry you seem to have taken it like that.
Have a great season sky blues.

lifeskyblue

From our point of view, we played poorly for an hour and won, 'call it what you want if it makes you feel better'.
No need for that tbh shmmeee, I was trying to be constructive. We will get better no doubt, it most certainly was not an anti Coventry Post at all. Sorry you seem to have taken it like that.

Yes we dominated for much of first half but in end Bristol just too strong. We missed some decent chances and Bristol took 2 that mattered. To be fair both teams should have scored at least a couple more. I thought Bristol looked well drilled and competent rather than exciting. I think both both teams will end up mid table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

MR has been strong with tactical subs both formation and timing. Yesterday’s subs were somewhat forced early and that made a difference.
We’ll be fine

to be fair that was a reaction to us forcing Bristol in to two early substitutions which really worked for them.

Due to who we had on the bench we had to change our shape to accommodate those subs and it didn't work, however, we needed to change it because we need fresh legs, bit of a catch 22 but it's all a learning curve.

There was a lot to be positive about.

Johhny Blue

Just looking at their first goal again, is it Ostigard and McFadz getting sucked to the ball or Hyam caught too far behind the defensive line? Their crosser would have been offside had Hyam stepped up a bit.
I don’t think their goal scorer was ahead of the ball. He timed his run perfectly.
Just my first impression I haven’t played it back to check. Anyone??

KenilworthSkyBlue

One thing that was apparent was our need to catch up on competitive match fitness. With the more recent games other Championship teams have played they are starting out with an edge on us. However, as the season progresses we will hopefully gain our own advantage as those teams start to tire from too many games. In the meantime our use of subs is going to be crucial. Yesterday we were forced into replacing Kelly and Hamer, who were otherwise players that would have probably played the full 90, and which meant we couldn't replace Pask when he kept getting cramp, or others that were visibly tiring. Hopefully in upcoming games MR will be able to dictate when he makes his subs, rather than events dictating them instead.

A fair assessment. It's probably also worth mentioning that Robins suggested in his pre-match interview that it may take up to a month to get where we need to be fitness-wise. So, against QPR it could well be that we see a repeat of what we saw at Bristol, whereby fatigue begins to kick in after 60ish minutes and we consequently find ourselves on the back foot for the last 30 again.

Not that's anything to be disheartened about though, as I think we can take comfort into how we played up until we began to tire our fitness is something that can be improved upon. Once we've dusted the cobwebs off post-September, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how we play over the course of the full 90.

Personally, I think one of the reasons why we lost on Saturday is that we tried to play to the same tempo as in the first half and chase the win, something that whilst admirable, probably in hindsight wasn't particularly feasible given the substitutions Robins was forced to make and of course, the fact that we'd ran out of steam after 60/65 mins.

Assuming Robins won't be forced into making any unwanted substitutions again on Friday, I'm sure he'll do his best to address any fatigue issues against QPR by looking at how best to cope during the final third of the game.

David O'Day

Nonsense mate

covcity4life

Shmee has overreacted

It was an even game which I think cov shaded on balance. Just liken it don't mean cov will be relegated it don't mean You will be promoted. No point analysing it too much. You look decent enough though

EAst ender

Nonsense mate
I never said we were world beaters David, some of your own did WTGR.
Like you, we have all our new signings to integrate and will hopefully improve, as will yourselves.
I was actually reacting to Shhmeee's post.
'Mid table'? maybe so, but our performance on Saturday was below par for us, it's most certainly not a criticism of your side who played some lovely stuff.

oscillatewildly

Replicate your day, drive around for an hour, then get into a pub or two, make your way to home for 3:00 to watch it. Walk in the road though, football fans don't walk on the pavement.
Don't forget to piss up your neighbours garden wall before you sit down for the match.
Maybe open the patio doors to offer some lighthearted abuse to the other neighbour as they enjoy a game of back garden croquet with their elderly parents.
It'll be just like being there.

Users who are viewing this thread