Brighton free kick (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Absolute madness, player asks if he can take it quick. Ref says yes and blows his whistle.

Player puts it in the net but ref changes his mind.

Evo1883

Madness, was on in the background earlier and the ref actually blows for him to take it

Shocking officiating

Otis

Yet when you lip read back, you can clearly see Dunk say something to the ref straight after and Mason says "No, I didn't."

Harry_Walker

Never known of a ref blowing for a quick free kick to be taken. The ref either says and signals for it to be taken on the whistle (usually after the defending team ask for it to be on the whistle) or the team with the set piece take it quickly at their discretion with no whistle

Nick

Administrator
Never known of a ref blowing for a quick free kick to be taken. The ref either says and signals for it to be taken on the whistle (usually after the defending team ask for it to be on the whistle) or the team with the set piece take it quickly at their discretion with no whistle
It wasn't that quick, still time to line up the wall.

Dunk did the same against Liverpool

Evo1883

Yea he blew just to take the free kick, that's how it seemed, not entirely a quick one, the ref decided he felt sorry for the keeper after he'd blew to take it and he was still hugging his post... That's how it seemed

Nick

Administrator
Yea he blew just to take the free kick, that's how it seemed, not entirely a quick one, the ref decided he felt sorry for the keeper after he'd blew to take it and he was still hugging his post... That's how it seemed
Yeah and on sky sports news they were saying its because ever keeper wasn't ready.

What punishment will the ref get? Nothing

Paul Anthony

If Dunk says he's asked the ref if he can take it and the ref has said yes, then that's fine isn't it? There's been lots of examples of that happening going back ages.

It literally seems to me he's let Brighton take it, realised the West Brom players are going to be hounding him with complaints, bottled it, then realised he's got the Brighton players giving him grief, so bottled it again and then asked VAR to help because he's made a complete mess of it.

Nuno was right. He's not up to standard.

Covstu

It was absolute bollocks, you play to the whistle, not the second whistle! Ref was all over the place but Brighton did miss 2 pens also!

Adge

It was an absolute mess from start to finish. I said in a previous post (think it may have been the Swansea ref analysis) that in this situation the “ceremonial” free kick (the referee telling everyone to wait for the whistle) is always “best practice’ for the referee. As with Mason yesterday if you get it wrong it can lead to all sorts of problems for the referee as we saw.
My take on it is that when he blew the whistle (first time) he then spotted that the WBA keeper wasn’t ready when the quick free kick was taken and blew a second time before the ball had entered the net, so the play had been stopped before the ball had entered the net-so no goal. He then got in a right tiswas (easily done when you have 10-12 players around you) and really couldn’t find a way out and obviously had a lapse in concentration.He then gave the goal and was obviously advised through communication to get the free retaken.
It’s happened to us all and best practice and I’m sure Mason (who doesn’t need to be told by the likes of me who are not anywhere near his level) will be going for the “ceremonial” free kick from now on....

skyblue1991

Absolute mess.

Worst thing was to not give the goal, then give the goal and then not giving it again!

Either give the goal or disallow it and move on. It should've been given, very clever by Dunk and it worked well against Liverpool in another occasion.

Time and time again we have asked for referees for post match interviews and it should be a thing now. Players getting straight reds are interviewed which are often bad decisions in the heat of the moment so why not refs?

Also time for microphones to be on the refs too

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

It was an absolute mess from start to finish. I said in a previous post (think it may have been the Swansea ref analysis) that in this situation the “ceremonial” free kick (the referee telling everyone to wait for the whistle) is always “best practice’ for the referee. As with Mason yesterday if you get it wrong it can lead to all sorts of problems for the referee as we saw.
My take on it is that when he blew the whistle (first time) he then spotted that the WBA keeper wasn’t ready when the quick free kick was taken and blew a second time before the ball had entered the net, so the play had been stopped before the ball had entered the net-so no goal. He then got in a right tiswas (easily done when you have 10-12 players around you) and really couldn’t find a way out and obviously had a lapse in concentration.He then gave the goal and was obviously advised through communication to get the free retaken.
It’s happened to us all and best practice and I’m sure Mason (who doesn’t need to be told by the likes of me who are not anywhere near his level) will be going for the “ceremonial” free kick from now on....
Great summary. His biggest error for me was giving the goal. What a banana!!

His punishment will be no premier games for a few weeks. What do you want? Prison sentence?!

Adge

Great summary. His biggest error for me was giving the goal. What a banana!!

His punishment will be no premier games for a few weeks. What do you want? Prison sentence?!
He made a mistake-players do it every week but of course everyone will be hanging him out to dry. You are correct though, I can’t see him being on a game for a week or so.
Mason has had his day-unfortunately the Premier League has a lot of also rans in it with the likes of Moss/Mason et al. I’m not sure there is that many either that are shining lights to be promoted from the Championship.

Nick

Administrator
He made a mistake-players do it every week but of course everyone will be hanging him out to dry. You are correct though, I can’t see him being on a game for a week or so.
Mason has had his day-unfortunately the Premier League has a lot of also rans in it with the likes of Moss/Mason et al. I’m not sure there is that many either that are shining lights to be promoted from the Championship.

Yeah players make a mistake but they don't get to stop the game and get the cross whipped in again so they can retry the header.

Not sure missing a week is punishment.

Terry Gibson's perm

I have only seen it quickly but I guess the goalie was taking ages moving the wall one inch and generally messing about, the game is being slowed down and time being stolen from it as they never add the correct time. VAR takes five minutes to decide the strikers toe was offside add on two minutes at the end.

Terry Gibson's perm

Fat Sam has hardly surprisingly said it was correct to rule it out I would imagine that he wouldn’t like quick free kicks as they are against his time wasting and spoiling policy. The Lewis Dunk interview after the match was good basically saying the ref should come and talk about it as he has had to.

Nick

Administrator
Fat Sam has hardly surprisingly said it was correct to rule it out I would imagine that he wouldn’t like quick free kicks as they are against his time wasting and spoiling policy. The Lewis Dunk interview after the match was good basically saying the ref should come and talk about it as he has had to.
They won't though, will just fine him.

Ref misses a game and then back to normal.

Sky Blue Pete

Dunk did nothing wrong. As Adge says once the game has stopped it should start with a whistle and when everyone is ready. If keeper taking too long book him

Terry Gibson's perm

Dunk did nothing wrong. As Adge says once the game has stopped it should start with a whistle and when everyone is ready. If keeper taking too long book him

Booking goalkeepers is a waste of time as they never get sent off for twice wasting time.

Terry Gibson's perm

Goalkeepers are too protected, get away with far too much.

I hate how everything they do is so slow and Wilson is one of the worst, goal kicks take nearly a minute, and I am not sure if they are still supposed to get rid of the ball in six seconds but it normally takes them twenty to thirty seconds.

The free kick was good quick thinking and if a Messi or Ronaldo type had done it they would be saying genius.

Nick

Administrator
I hate how everything they do is so slow and Wilson is one of the worst, goal kicks take nearly a minute, and I am not sure if they are still supposed to get rid of the ball in six seconds but it normally takes them twenty to thirty seconds.

The free kick was good quick thinking and if a Messi or Ronaldo type had done it they would be saying genius.

Yeah exactly, I have seen people banging on about bad sportsmanship because the keeper wasn't ready.

Soft.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yeah exactly, I have seen people banging on about bad sportsmanship because the keeper wasn't ready.

Soft.

Same with penalties they kick the posts clean their gloves wonder out look at the spot, the ref should blow the whistle and the player can take it if the goalie is picking his arse by the post tough.

Users who are viewing this thread