Match Thread Brentford Match Thread

Sky Blue Harry H

Well-Known Member
Feb 9, 2011
13,152
10,356
313
warwick
We have fielded a weakened side, and after the early wobble have looked more comfortable and have shown great discipline. We may still lose and who, as a fan, enjoys seeing us lose. The reality is we're in a much tougher division and we're unlikely to boss games like last season. Watching a game like this does feel like a visit to the dentist (I can almost feel my blood pressure is higher than normal!)
 
  • Like
Reactions: AOM

Magwitch

Well-Known Member
Jun 5, 2018
4,874
2,283
163
Missed the first 25 minutes and sounds we were struggling Interesting team selection but from what I saw I thought we settled got into the game and were okay passed the ball around confidently and looked worthy 0-0. Will be a tough second half though, fingers crossed.
 

speedie87

Well-Known Member
Mar 28, 2011
3,092
937
213
Formation is midfield is all over the shop bringing back nightmares of the diamond
 

larry_david

Well-Known Member
May 7, 2011
4,181
2,925
213
Growing into it. Remember Brentford threw away a 2 goal lead last game. Perhaps they go gung ho first 35 then get knackered...

Hope so. One things for sure Allen, godden, sheaf look like they have pace 1 on FM
 

Esoterica

Well-Known Member
Aug 21, 2013
6,603
10,105
313
Czech Republic
McCallum for Giles now and Kelly for Allen after an hour.

We got it wrong first 25 mins. You can't leave Godden furthest forward if you're playing 2 strikers with a backline as high as Brentfords. He got behind twice in that first period and they caught him up with in 10 yards. Knowing they were comfortable at the back allowed them to compress midfield and Sheaf was not able to cope with that on his own there, while their strikers were free to press our defence at will.

We needed to swap Baka up there for a bit and look for him in behind to give their defence a bit more to think about but instead he played ina semicircle around Godden.

We need to work harder off the ball to offer for easy passes too. Sheaf got caught a couple of times looking for a simple pass.

Allen's a good player but he's at his best when he gets in between the lines and into spaces but he can't do that when we can't string 3 passes and he looks worse than he really is. He and Godden do not suit this formation against teams where we have inferior possession.
 

PVA

Well-Known Member
Apr 22, 2011
6,301
4,596
163
Grew into it towards the end but the wing backs are getting overloaded and it seems like a matter of time before that costs us.

Sheaf looks class 90% of the time but the other 10% of the time he's giving the ball away in a dangerous area.

Kasta to beat 3 men and put in a great cross for Biamou to head home in the last minute to win it
 
  • Like
Reactions: Frostie

Briles

Well-Known Member
Aug 8, 2017
858
973
193
5 points off play offs :sneaky:
 
  • Like
Reactions: PVA and mr_monkey

Liquid Gold

Well-Known Member
Sep 16, 2013
22,003
26,276
313
Brizzle
McCallum for Giles now and Kelly for Allen after an hour.

We got it wrong first 25 mins. You can't leave Godden furthest forward if you're playing 2 strikers with a backline as high as Brentfords. He got behind twice in that first period and they caught him up with in 10 yards. Knowing they were comfortable at the back allowed them to compress midfield and Sheaf was not able to cope with that on his own there, while their strikers were free to press our defence at will.

We needed to swap Baka up there for a bit and look for him in behind to give their defence a bit more to think about but instead he played ina semicircle around Godden.

We need to work harder off the ball to offer for easy passes too. Sheaf got caught a couple of times looking for a simple pass.

Allen's a good player but he's at his best when he gets in between the lines and into spaces but he can't do that when we can't string 3 passes and he looks worse than he really is. He and Godden do not suit this formation against teams when we have inferior possession.
Brno Pep
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Esoterica

SkyBlueBee

Member
Oct 22, 2012
41
14
58
Brentford
From. brentford perspective - we aren’t playing as well as we did last season, it’s just not as slick, still needs another 5 games to click.
Expect to see Canos (left wing) to be taken off and replaced by the guy who was brought in as Benrahma’s replacement.

Cov had a slow start, but I think Robins has got the formation correct... also I’d say the best chance of the match may have been from the Cov player coming in for that far cross. 1-1 probably should have been the real halftime score...
 

DannyThomas_1981

Well-Known Member
Jun 28, 2017
1,743
2,450
213
I like Pask but he's not a RWB; just unfortunate that Dacosta is injured as the back up for Dabo. Not entirely sure what role AB is playing but I'd swap AB with Kelly at half time to gain some more control of midfield and possession. McFadz immense as others have said. O'Hare looking decent with very little possession. Brentford very impressive technically in midfield.
 

Mucca Mad Boys

Well-Known Member
Jul 26, 2012
8,784
3,088
213
Coventry
Been saying 451 for the longest time in other threads on the forum. We have to pack the midfield as it’s non-existent at the moment.
Playing 4-5-1 reduced the amount of players we have centrally? We already play with 3/4 central midfielders.

Dropping COH down the pitch, or altogether is a bad idea. We don’t have any wingers, our strikers would be left isolated and it takes away one of our central defenders away, which has been good facet of our shape and play this season.

Against the likes of Brentford or Bournemouth, probably wouldn’t make much of a difference.

Altogether, not a well thought out proposal.
 

speedie87

Well-Known Member
Mar 28, 2011
3,092
937
213
From. brentford perspective - we aren’t playing as well as we did last season, it’s just not as slick, still needs another 5 games to click.
Expect to see Canos (left wing) to be taken off and replaced by the guy who was brought in as Benrahma’s replacement.

Cov had a slow start, but I think Robins has got the formation correct... also I’d say the best chance of the match may have been from the Cov player coming in for that far cross. 1-1 probably should have been the real halftime score...
I think our formation is all wrong and Brentford should have been 3up early on, game of opinions and all that
 
  • Like
Reactions: SkyBlueBee

Magwitch

Well-Known Member
Jun 5, 2018
4,874
2,283
163
Grew into it towards the end but the wing backs are getting overloaded and it seems like a matter of time before that costs us.

Sheaf looks class 90% of the time but the other 10% of the time he's giving the ball away in a dangerous area.

Kasta to beat 3 men and put in a great cross for Biamou to head home in the last minute to win it
Sheaf is a rookie learning the game, l like him he’ll will be okay once he has a few games under his belt and a bit more experience.
 

robbiekeane

Well-Known Member
May 13, 2016
4,710
3,944
163
Playing 4-5-1 reduced the amount of players we have centrally? We already play with 3/4 central midfielders.

Dropping COH down the pitch, or altogether is a bad idea. We don’t have any wingers, our strikers would be left isolated and it takes away one of our central defenders away, which has been good facet of our shape and play this season.

Against the likes of Brentford or Bournemouth, probably wouldn’t make much of a difference.

Altogether, not a well thought out proposal.
Yeh but apart from that
 

cc84cov

Well-Known Member
Aug 14, 2018
16,283
6,880
313
Amazing How many on here think their tactically more aware than robins today 😝
 

Happy_Martian

Well-Known Member
Jan 1, 2013
1,847
789
213
Amazingly, Brizzle City (league leaders and undefeated so far) are losing to Barnsleee
 

Grendel

Well-Known Member
Sep 19, 2011
62,699
20,667
813
Who claimed they did?
Oggy had to work with a poor keeper. He worked with Westwood as a coach - he’s bound to comment on the keeper as oddly it’s his speciality
 

Great_Expectations

Well-Known Member
Mar 18, 2011
3,448
2,608
213
Much better finish to the half. We aren’t as intimidated anymore and are actually looking to play football and players are wanting the ball.

Bakayoko and Godden have been fairly quiet, let’s hope second half they can get more involved.

I have been critical of Sheaf, but last 5/10 he stepped up and wanted the ball.

I think Pask has something to offer but he’s absolutely not a RWB and that shocking touch at the end exemplifies that.

Allen I had high hopes for this year but he isn’t grabbing any of the opportunities he’s getting. Lack of sharpness/confidence maybe, as I think the talent is there.

Let’s hope we try to play our game this half and don’t sit back and give too much respect. They have looked vulnerable on the few occasions we’ve got forward and the Preston result points to that too.

Push on and we can do well.