Breaking News from CCFC.... (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

You're all guessers! I'm one too - so let's not pretend we have any idea what Admin will cost us or what the club will be worth.

I see NO BENEFIT in SISU selecting the admin route. It can't be clearer since they are the major creditor. If we owed the banks and the revenue (which I guess could still happen as things are moved around) there would be a different picture, but otherwise it makes no logical sense for them.

Imo what they are trying to do is to cut as many costs as possible so that the team eventually breaks even or better. When that equilibrium is achieved, whatever league we happen to be in matters to them not one iota even if its the conference or lower. The only way they can now recoup their investment is to get hold of the revenue streams for all of the other associated schhemes at the Ricoh.

They can feed whatever lines they want as PR and appoint as manay new boards as they see fit, but they are clear that without gambling in a way they are not prepared to fund, we will not reach the promised land of the EPL. Without that golden carrot to aim for their is little in it for them other than the Ricoh. However, to walk away or go down the admin route will not hold much opinion to their investors who are their only real customers. Mr ABC who lives thousands of miles away does not care about Coventry City but does care about his investment and their duty is to get the best possible return on that.

If it is correct that they would control any administration then Unfortunately I concede

That you are correct. Death by 1000 cuts.

Looks like we will need to get behind the kids and hope they can cause a shock

wingy

If it is correct that they would control any administration then Unfortunately I concede

That you are correct. Death by 1000 cuts.

Looks like we will need to get behind the kids and hope they can cause a shock

We did it in the early 80's under milne and Sexton ,guess what they sold em all!!!:(

Grendel

We did it in the early 80's under milne and Sexton ,guess what they sold em all!!!:(

And they really were good.

wingy

And they really were good.

Best team in a generation really ,should have propelled the future of the club on a successful basis for many a year ,who was chairman back then ,was it Pointon or did he come after,Common denominator lousy chairman

Grendel

Best team in a generation really ,should have propelled the future of the club on a successful basis for many a year ,who was chairman back then ,was it Pointon or did he come after,Common denominator lousy chairman

I believe (I don't know why) it was some guy called Ian Jamieson. Pointon was later.

wingy

I believe (I don't know why) it was some guy called Ian Jamieson. Pointon was later.

Should have added the other common denominator was poor crowds ,often around the 13-14000 mark ,and then we had that cup run ,36000 in there for the cup game against West Ham ,You're right on the chairman a name that eluded me

dongonzalos

Yes unfortunately any kids who does well will be sold and replaced with a new one. My gut feeling is though division 4 would be the place where this approach maybe sustainable not division 3.

wingy

Yes unfortunately any kids who does well will be sold and replaced with a new one. My gut feeling is though division 4 would be the place where this approach maybe sustainable not division 3.

i think given our current standing it will become harder to attract quality kids allied to the change in rules on academies and the 90 minute rule

Grendel

In the early 80's we sold a whole host of young players who all had already real experience and quality (in honesty a lot more than the current crop). We sold the lot to keep the club going and replaced them with a host of players from the 3rd and 4th tier of english football. We had one experienced player from the Premier (Div One then) who was hopeless.

We were bookies favourites to be relegated by Christmas.

We stayed up.

Spot the difference between then and now.

dongonzalos

In the early 80's we sold a whole host of young players who all had already real experience and quality (in honesty a lot more than the current crop). We sold the lot to keep the club going and replaced them with a host of players from the 3rd and 4th tier of english football. We had one experienced player from the Premier (Div One then) who was hopeless.

We stayed up.

I think the he quality in the divisions is different now. Due to the increased money and the influx of foreign players

I think if West Brom sold their entire team tomorrow bar one of their stars and brought replacement from League one and two I think they would plummet,

I hope we can do it but I feel Div 4 i looming

rob9872

We also had a reserve team to 'blood' them in and find out if they were ready for mens football. The gulf between kids and first team can not be underestimated.

I still maintain that the cost cutting exercise culminating in the decimation of the reserve team has been fundamental in our plight. Granted there have been times last season when we have struggled to fill one team let alone two, but losing the chance for out of form, injured and youth players to have gained invaluable experience or match fitness left a huge void.

ashbyjan

Theres the big difference Duffy - then we replaced kids - albeit exciting talented kids - with experienced journeymen that we got the best out off. Today we are replacing experienced journeymen with untried untested kids to play in a tough uncompromising league because we cannot bring in anyone else due to the self imposed embargo. If things stay as they are we will be going down again.

skybluejelly

We stayed up.

the other difference is back then our first division wages were a big leap for the players coming in..now we cant even afford our own third division wages hence why we sell anyone whos on a remotely good contract.

TheSnoz

There's some rewriting of history going on here. Not important for today obviously, but it needs to be said that John Poynton, who seems to be taking a bit of flak was chairman when we won the cup, you can see him behind as Killer lifts the cup. There is a tale behind the mass exodus of the young crop of players in the 1980s, Gary Thompson was apparently very well liked by all the other players. He was sold to pay bills as crowds were pathetic, sometimes as low as 8,000 + . It sparked mass transfer requests and unrest from the likes of Danny Thomas, Paul Dyson, Gary Gillespie (who was being chased by Liverpool anyway), Whitton, Hateley & others. Then, as now, fans didn't turn out in sufficient numbers to make the club financially stable. They wanted a great team but they weren't great supporters. If you've got £10 in your pocket, you can't buy a Bentley.
We got good money for lots of players then. And Bobby Gould came in and as someone rightly pointed out, he battled against the odds with some 'journeymen' players to keep us up. Something that the likes of the much hyped Hadji & co (decent footballer as he was) couldn't do.
& Iain Jaimeson, nearly 200 league appearances for the club, board member, chairman. He deserves a little better. As does Gordon Milne, manager of the club for almost ten years.
Let's not write off these guys from yesteryear, in hindsight back then looks like much better times to me.

wingy

I may have been a bit dismissive of Jaimeson Snoz the memory fades and of course i'm aware that Poynton led us to Wembley ,there was another dissapointing aspect to the loss of Hately that we barely had a season out of him and the skates nicked him for a pittance through a tribunal ,we all new he was a £1m.+ player and going to play for England. It should'nt be forgotten that Milne was excellent and we were two minutes from getting to wembley, then if i'm correct he got moved upstairs and Mercer came on board with Sexton as coach it was a great set up undone by poor attendance and obviously lack of resources.

Users who are viewing this thread