Breaking news: ACL call in debt and have access to CCFC (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Ricoh Arena bosses today upped the stakes in their rent dispute with Coventry City by serving debt orders on the football club.

It means Arena Coventry Limited - the company owned by Coventry City Council and the Alan Edward Higgs Trust - now has access to club funds.

It clears the way for ACL to get its hands on money paid by Huddersfield Town to the Sky Blues to release manager Mark Robins this week.

It follows the collapse of talks to try to resolve the increasingly bitter dispute over rent payments for playing at the Ricoh, as the Telegraph website yesterday exclusively revealed.

Coventry City has refused to pay rent since last April because it says it is too high. It now owes £1.347million in arrears and ACL says the saga has gone on too long.

Now a statement issued this morning from Arena Coventry Limited states: "The board of Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) has today served interim Third Party Debt Orders on Coventry City Football Club following the collapse of talks around future rent and matchday arrangements.

"The Orders have been served in respect of the club’s bank account, its card payment acceptance service account, its Business Rates Account with Coventry City Council and Huddersfield Town Football Club.

"These orders, which are expected to be made final orders shortly, will then entitle ACL to lawfully collect any monies owed to the club by these third parties."

"As of 1 February 2013, CCFC owes ACL £1.347 million in rent arrears. On 29 January, the ACL Board had put forward an agreement which not only reduced the rent to £400,000 a year but also waived £300,000 of those arrears - and set out generous terms to repay the balance.

"It also agreed the principle of ACL matchday revenues benefitting CCFC, and ACL paying a larger share of rates on the stadium, the net effect of which would have been to reduce the matchday costs paid by CCFC from £1.2m per year to £150,000.

"However, following the recent collapse of talks, the ACL Board has concluded that it has no choice to but to serve the interim Third Party Debt Orders.

Nicholas Carter, Chairman, Arena Coventry Limited, said: "We don’t want to have to resort to such means as obtaining interim Third Party Debt Orders.

"But if the Club won’t agree to the very generous deal on the table and pay what it lawfully owes, we have a duty to our stakeholders to take all the necessary steps to protect ACL’s interests. It’s our responsibility as directors to do all we can to make sure ACL gets paid."

Otis

And yet the club expect to stay at the Ricoh while they build a new stadium?

Sounds like bridges have been burned.

J

Jack Griffin

Great. I can't support SISUs stance anymore. Kick them out.

GaryJones

The Tennis Ball has simply been returned back over to Sisu - Granted ACL have put some top-spin on it!;)

gouldberg

My honest opinion on all of this is that Sisu are business people that think they know it all but simply don't know enough about how to run a football club. It's as if they're trying little money related dodges they'd get away with under other circumstances but playing hardball in the way that they are is simply not going to work here.

Whether their actions are malicious or not is for another time and another thread but quite simply they could be the death of this club. Not sure if intended or not, but my God we're struggling. Desperate times ahead IMO.

Sick Boy

Great. I can't support SISUs stance anymore. Kick them out.

That's the spirit!! Close the wretched club down!!!!

If by some miracle Hoffman had taken over the club and had tried a similar tactic, he would have unquestionable support from some posters on here.

MichaelCCFC

Acl-sisu are doing my head in. I've listened to the stuff on CWR this morning - do any of them give a ff for supporters? Whenever fans are mentioned we get warm words, but words are cheap and actions speak a lot louder.

GaryJones

But Sisu have double faulted.

Well, on the rent anyway!

Got a feeling Otis that this will go to Hawkeye for the final call!

chiefdave

There has to be a very real danger of reaching a point where SISU decides there's no way they will ever get a deal their happy with or be able to sell the club / recover any of their money and just walk away. Have the council got any plan for that eventuallity or are they happy for the club to just cease to exist? It's all well and good them saying SISU should pay up or sell up but they clearly aren't going to pay and there doesn't appear to be anyone interested in the slightest in buying the club.

rob9872

Sounds to me more like a bunch of people using their strong forehand until they are covered in love-deuce

Otis

There has to be a very real danger of reaching a point where SISU decides there's no way they will ever get a deal their happy with or be able to sell the club / recover any of their money and just walk away. Have the council got any plan for that eventuallity or are they happy for the club to just cease to exist? It's all well and good them saying SISU should pay up or sell up but they clearly aren't going to pay and there doesn't appear to be anyone interested in the slightest in buying the club.

I'm interested. I just don't have the money.

Ashdown1

I'd love to know what the players think, maybe they couldn't care less as long as they are paid but surely all this can't be ideal for morale.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Hate to add to the bad news but

Two of those Third Party Debtor Orders could have further consequences

- the one served on the bank could mean that the bank account is frozen by the bank. That means money can go in but bills wont get paid ....... bills like wages and HMRC

- the one served on HTFC relates to money that has to be channelled through the FL so any monies that are in FL hands and are subject to a charge incurs a transfer embargo (one coming anyway because they wont file accounts by 28th feb either)

Final thought is if the directors can not pay bills as they fall due then they have to consider whether the club is a going concern. SISU may well pay some of the bills whilst they fight the orders, but if they dont the directors may have to decide whether to wind up CCFC themselves or become personally liable for the debts.

This has backed SISU into a corner and very tight one. Next move is theirs, hopefully to agree a deal.

cloughie

This sorry situation which we find ourselves in is the making of our present owners. They have had choices to make over the last year and continually make the wrong ones.

They could have paid some rent as a goodwill gesture but not a penny paid.

Continue to play hardball thinking they could obtain the stadium on the cheap by destabilising ACL with the bank, again a mistake that backfired on them.
backed into a corner and stil try to act with arrogance as if they are in a position of strength.

What would any other business owed 1.3million do when faced with consistant non payment tactics, they would have gone for a winding up order much earlier.

Anything other is unrealistic

Last edited:

MichaelCCFC

Can't see them just walking away cos they then lose best part of £50m. It's a heck of a lot of money to kiss goodbye to

dongonzalos

The club seize to exist!

A thirty two thousand stadium just sitting there empty.

That attracted 30 thousand people the other day.

In a city with 310k population growing at one of the fastest rates in the UK and a surrounding 100k population in Warwickshire.

Mmmmmm I wonder what might happen

I don't see them walking away either.

gouldberg

I'm going to play devils advocate here and say it. With regards to this current situation, neither ACL or Sisu give a crap about the fans, it's really that simple. Sisu are trying to run a business, ACL are trying to run a business. Both have their own agenda's revolving entirely around money. Don't think for one second that the feelings of us fans will come into consideration during any of the discussions. Sisu simply want to rip off the council so they can save money whilst the Council want to earn a suitable amount from the deal too.

If the Council have to pursue other options with regards to bringing in revenue via the Ricoh Arena they will do so. If the Council have to serve papers to get the money they are contractually obliged to (whether we think the terms of that initial contract were reasonable or not) then they will. If Sisu have to bankrupt ACL and starve them of funds to save on money, they will.

Us fans mean nothing in these discussions. This is purely business, and money.

Ccfcsj

Thanks OSB. Being a bit thick on business finance etc I was going to ask what this means but you explained it before I finished typing.

So in short, it could mean no bills are paid and the players and staff go without wages?

dantheman

Hate to add to the bad news but

Two of those Third Party Debtor Orders could have further consequences

- the one served on the bank could mean that the bank account is frozen by the bank. That means money can go in but bills wont get paid ....... bills like wages and HMRC

- the one served on HTFC relates to money that has to be channelled through the FL so any monies that are in FL hands and are subject to a charge incurs a transfer embargo (one coming anyway because they wont file accounts by 28th feb either)

Final thought is if the directors can not pay bills as they fall due then they have to consider whether the club is a going concern. SISU may well pay some of the bills whilst they fight the orders, but if they dont the directors may have to decide whether to wind up CCFC themselves or become personally liable for the debts.

This has backed SISU into a corner and very tight one. Next move is theirs, hopefully to agree a deal.

Spot on.

This could be disastrous news:(

Speng

I think the latest offer is a good one ,
How much match day revenue have we lost not accepting this deal 6 months ago ??

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Thanks OSB. Being a bit thick on business finance etc I was going to ask what this means but you explained it before I finished typing.

So in short, it could mean no bills are paid and the players and staff go without wages?

it could yes ............... but that decision is up to SISU really as to whether they put extra funds in to cover it. Makes things awkward but not impossible ........ means that expected cashflow wont come to the club (it is ACL's to claim from the bank or debtor and the bank or debtor is legally bound to pay to ACL not CCFC) so the gap in funding has to be made up from elsewhere.

Not sure how SISU would fight the 3rd Party order given that the debt it relates to has never been challenged in court and that the court has confirmed it as a valid debt months ago.

chiefdave

Can't see them just walking away cos they then lose best part of £50m. It's a heck of a lot of money to kiss goodbye to

My point being if you've put £50m into a project and you can see no possible way of getting any return in the future what do you do. It's not like we're breaking even and they can just tread water hoping something comes up, they have to sink several million in every year. At some point surely they go enough is enough and walk away?

How it impacts SISU I have no idea but could it be the case that over the last several years they've been gradually writing off the £50m so it may not be as bit a hit for them to take as it seems. Maybe OSB could help out here, what would be SISUs exit strategy if they feel there is no use in putting more money into a black hole?

chiefdave

I think the latest offer is a good one ,
How much match day revenue have we lost not accepting this deal 6 months ago ??

Think the problem lies more around the arrears. SISU will want any change backdated, ACL seem to want the majority of the arrears paid. Also one of the CT articles says rent of £400K while in Div 1, implying it will go up again if we ever get promotion but that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere so could just be a mistake of their part.

gouldberg

Well that's the way I read it too. We go up the rent goes up.

Sisu walked right into that one though by constantly using the line 'the current rent is not in line with the League 1 average'. A higher rent for a higher division where the average rent is higher. Makes sense to me, especially since Sisu kept blabbing on about it as often as they did. Their own fault really.

Users who are viewing this thread