Brandon (1 Viewer)

skybluesam98

I'm sure they are. Out of interest does she like the speedway stadium being there?

She doesn't mind having the speedway their as the crowds usually aren't that big and never cause any trouble. Also we make quite a bit of money out of parking for the Stock car world finals every couple of years which is an extra bonus having it their

WillieStanley

any stadium further out than the ricoh with a smaller capacity than HR is a piss take ,.Ive hated the ricoh as ive always seen it as a constant reminder of why we left HR ,and all the shite that went on then .the ricoh is now our only option other than a 32000 capacity stadium closer to the city centre,anything else and its a massive step back .if the owners have the funds to build a new stadium then they hav the money to buy the ricoh and then the people of Coventry will get their money back to spend on essential services.anyone who knows football will know how long and hard it is to build a successful team and club,it seems that the owners only motive for the situation is to reduce the amount of fans, so to reduce the amount they have to please ,the chicken abusers who bought Blackburn made me cry with laughter when the gave their first statements ,what a joke they were,not a clue about football ,this lot are either on par or even worse than that shower of shite ,for me ther is no middle ground ,same capacity or larger than HR,clser than the ricoh to city centre ,or the ricoh,and if the latter ,finish the job ,ie the surrounding area,although it will never be the day out HR was , few round the town ,silver sword ,the three tuns ,Smithfield ,the tavern ,the game ,fishymoores after ,few round the town then tiffanys ,wat a day out

Why 32000? Out of interest?

ollyservetta

Why 32000? Out of interest?
.moving to the ricoh was a so called move forward for the better,i belive we need to either match the capacity or start from HR capacity with the chance to build on and come upto ricoh capacity .anything else ,like this 12000 to 25000 that's has been bated about in my opinion is a massive step backwards .the fans are there ,its the club that needs to achieve the standard to put bums on seats ,if they go their way as in wat we here ,its in my opinion, they don't want to achieve any real status ,

ollyservetta

and of course ,I believe the closer the city centre ,the higher the gates ,anywer closer to the train station and pool meadow ,,maybe im out of touch but don't think so.also to add ,when I say status ,all the years ive been a sky blue fan from a young lad,never supported anyone else ,we have never and probly never would have been a top 4 side as in a consistant way .but I always believed we were a good side to the point wer big teams wer never garuanteed the points ,they had to fight for what they got ,and although we never won the top flight league ,we had a say in the title on many occaisions beating top teams .big teams never liked that they had a hard time at city away ,but their fans loved the day out ,that gave us status in top flight football ,

WillieStanley

Well, 25000 isn't a step backwards using your logic as HR was 23k.

It's great having ambition, but you still need to be realistic. Our record attendance was decades ago and hasn't been matched since. We've hit past the 30k mark twice since moving to the Ricoh, one match was a stones throw away from Wembley with cheap tickets and the other was against one of the best sides in Europe at the time. The bread and butter league games is all based of if's - History has shown that we've gone on a decent run and come up against league big boys (whilst in the Champ) we've hit 27-28k or so. Again, not very consistent and a bit of a gamble. Bread and butter Championship games at peak were around 20k and declined with the fortunes of the club and as the new stadium novelty wore off.

So Premier League football. They're the ambitions we're all talking about, right? Well at the dawn of the Premier League I seem to remember attendances averaging 10-12k at highfield road, picking up in the mid-ninties with the exciting signings we made. All that money spent by Big Ron for an overall underwhelming season. The entertainers had a few sell outs against the big teams and local rivals but I believe averages 19-21k.

That history does not suggest the need for a 26k-32k seater stadium. We know that the empty sky blue seats made for a pretty poor atmosphere (and some suggest confusion amongst players).

If an architect can build a stadium designed to match demand - with low cost expansion if required - that sure shows massive ambition as the sky is the limit. It also means that in the here and now, a tight, loud intimidating crowd would surely be to our credit?

Also factor in the fact that SISU have heard countless people declare they will not return while they're in charge. So that's a section of the support gone.

As Torchy mentioned - the people of Coventry haven't flown the sky blue flag for years and I honestly think, for us to even dream of a regular need for a 32,000 seater stadium, regardless of location, it would take something pretty special - even in the Premier League.

Speedway at the Ricoh wouldn't be a bad idea. The stadium bowl is designed to keep noise in the stadium, shouldn't be to hard to take a track in or out, they do it in Denmark the millennium stadium all be it one offs. And if I remember correctly I seen a poster at Brandon with "coventry " having their stadium on lythals lane which is just down the road.

ollyservetta

I know prem footie is along way away ,I know my footie and my club ,and I know that empty seats create a lowsy attmosphere ,but has that, like I believe ,got more to do with standard of footie and pricing,we have had a half empty stadium,with folk stating the price verus the standard of footie,not everyone can afford to pay out for a season ticket ,id hav thought getting bums on seats is the most important thing ,and that is achieved either threw good footie or value for money,and if we are now after all the bullshit of leaving HR ,being told are ambitions are to high and we should start from a different status in football,then those of us were definatly right in not wanting to leave HR,and all thats gone since has only achieved filling the pockets of the few.

WillieStanley

I know prem footie is along way away ,I know my footie and my club ,and I know that empty seats create a lowsy attmosphere ,but has that, like I believe ,got more to do with standard of footie and pricing,we have had a half empty stadium,with folk stating the price verus the standard of footie,not everyone can afford to pay out for a season ticket ,id hav thought getting bums on seats is the most important thing ,and that is achieved either threw good footie or value for money,and if we are now after all the bullshit of leaving HR ,being told are ambitions are to high and we should start from a different status in football,then those of us were definatly right in not wanting to leave HR,and all thats gone since has only achieved filling the pockets of the few.

I'd love to agree with you, olly, I really would but I can't. Sisu ripped the club from us here in Coventry. They employed awful managers and even worse boards but they did slash tickets to some of the cheapest in the league in 2010. They introduced a "Bring a friend for free" element to season tickets which hardly any ST holders took advantage of. They introduced real financial benefits to becoming a member or JSB. They introduced the 6 match packages. I don't think anyone can say the prices haven't been reasonable.

The football hasn't been brilliant until recently, and that will take it's toll on attendances, agreed, but even at top flight in a convenient location at a well loved stadium, we struggled to break 20k.

ollyservetta

must admit im a bit blinded ,ive always been a pay on the day ,never looked at season tickets and packages .I did start a thread few years back on another site bout not buying season tickets ,pay on the day for all ,it was at the time things wer starting to go wrong and it was obvious the st money was not being invested in the team ,but I got shouted down .looking back those who did not agree then probly buy me a pint now ,lol,.ive never thought tho we deserve to be anywer but wer we are ,just because of who we are ,ive always been very level headed about the city,but we must be one if not the only established top flight side to go down and never had a sniff of a play off ,and that can only be put down to lack of ambition by the owners over the years .the other thing in my head is the poor performance against crewe,and that I still believe was down to the fact robbins was on his way ,again the owners lack of ambition ,we near turned it around at their place with a to late performance ,but how things could have been so different if that night at the ricoh had gone our way .

skybluetony176

Mr Sandhu who currently owns they site has posted an open letter on stoxnet and world speedway websites saying that regardless of who buys the site there is a guarantee that there will be at least another 3 seasons of both stock cars and speedway at the site.

Interestingly he also goes on to say he is hoping to find a location in the Coventry area to build a new stadium venue for motor sport.

It sounds as though there are now 2 parties looking for viable stadium sites in the Coventry area. I guess that means that the price of viable sites in the Coventry area for stadium developments has just gone up a notch.

Sorry I can't do a link on my phone so could someone else do the honours. Cheers.

asb

Sorry I can't do a link on my phone so could someone else do the honours. Cheers.

Is this the statement?

Taken from http://www.coventrystox.com/news/4574833689 Coventry Stox website.

Coventry Stox said:
COVENTRY STATEMENT - 22nd FEBRUARY 2014

The news that Greyhounds has decided to close after tonight’s meeting came as a shock and it saddened me that they felt they could not continue to operate until the remaining three years on the lease lapsed. Harry and his team have worked extremely hard during the last few years to make Coventry Dogs a credible force within the greyhound racing world and deserved to have enjoyed the fruits of those labours.

They asked me for an extension to the lease to guarantee a further five years which I was unable to offer due to the current negotiations for the sale of the Stadium as all I could contractually offer was the three year guarantee already in place which clearly was not enough.

In terms of the other activities the Coventry Bees and Brisca F1 stock cars these are guaranteed to continue for the next three years regardless as to the ownership of the stadium and during those three years I will be trying to secure an alternative site for a new stadium in the Coventry area.

All three sports have become something that I enjoy on a personal level and the respective fans have shown me a great deal of respect over the past twelve years as such I want to ensure we do everything we can to see these sports continue. I am giving my word that I will do everything I can to ensure we succeed and if anybody can help us to secure a suitable site in the Coventry area please get in touch with [email protected] or by phone on 07872836640.

In terms of the stadium site itself it will be sold and redeveloped it’s just a question as to when that redevelopment will take place. It will not take place for at least three seasons and that gives us time to find alternative sites for development into our new home.
Once again I would like to praise Harry and his team for the efforts they made at Coventry Dogs and I hope both speedway and stock car fans are reassured that we are working towards a more solid future.

A Sandhu

asb

Had a look for a link but interestingly the CT reported this in July 2013

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/sky-blues-agree-deal-buy-5317030

.... and September

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-miss-eight-week-target-6039709

What can we believe from these jokers ?

We still don't know who has purchased that land.

I wonder if anyone will claim Mr Reid Misquoted them.

Seems to be the defence for when your statements don't stand up to scrutiny.

ccfc92

There both looking for stadiums in Coventry area so why not the same one?

Sorry yes they do.

ah right. well here in Poole ;) the football team used to play at Poole stadium, now the speedway race there and poole play in a small rec field. apparently they are relocating to a place 6 or so miles from here, that is not really Poole, more Wimborne, sounds familiar?

shmmeee

I'd love to agree with you, olly, I really would but I can't. Sisu ripped the club from us here in Coventry. They employed awful managers and even worse boards but they did slash tickets to some of the cheapest in the league in 2010. They introduced a "Bring a friend for free" element to season tickets which hardly any ST holders took advantage of. They introduced real financial benefits to becoming a member or JSB. They introduced the 6 match packages. I don't think anyone can say the prices haven't been reasonable.

The football hasn't been brilliant until recently, and that will take it's toll on attendances, agreed, but even at top flight in a convenient location at a well loved stadium, we struggled to break 20k.

With all due respect, the idea that all that matters in whether people watch a team is how much it costs is symptomatic of the limited thinking that's ruining the game today. Money men who can't understand anything other than profit motive.

People support a club from their heart not their head. Price is a factor only to a certain point and limited increases or decreases won't change that much. You need to be in the community, getting people enthused and ensuring that win lose or draw they have a bloody good time when they do come to the game. On all of those scores Sisu did nothing. But hey, at least it was cheap.

Grendel

With all due respect, the idea that all that matters in whether people watch a team is how much it costs is symptomatic of the limited thinking that's ruining the game today. Money men who can't understand anything other than profit motive.

People support a club from their heart not their head. Price is a factor only to a certain point and limited increases or decreases won't change that much. You need to be in the community, getting people enthused and ensuring that win lose or draw they have a bloody good time when they do come to the game. On all of those scores Sisu did nothing. But hey, at least it was cheap.

So we should have charged £20 for the JPT semi final then?

wingy

But would you really want it ther.
My mate used to live right next to the main gates at Brandon not sure if he still lives there but when he tried to sell could not get any takers,
He only got it because it was all he could afford at the time after a divorce....So got shafted twice.

Tbf -you're oft quoted return of £10 per match on the basis of ST. Purchase was suicidal,especially considering the division we were In
Think they reduced twice the first when Ransom agreed to an extra £1m. from the prem on the basis clubs lower down reclived
less. Something getting on for £100 reduction per ST over both cuts, yet we've largely paid anywhere between £20-£25 to watch away this season.

Astute

A fiver a ticket meant that many that can't afford full price could afford to go. But to many of us it didn't make much difference. It costs me about £100 in fuel. Then there is the price of a hotel. Beer, food and whatever else. Then there are many of us that would have paid £20 that live locally. The odds are they would have made more money at £20. That doesn't mean that they should have charged that much though. If they had been running our club properly it would have given them a chance to bring back fans that had stopped going.

ollyservetta

my big arguement on the day of the crewe game was we paid to park the car on the field up by the novo hotel ,loads of folk takng your money and making sure you parked so, as to get as many in. trouble was it rained and none of those people around to help folk get of the field again ,just another ,we got your money we don't give a xxxx attitude ,

letsallsingtogether

Nothing unusual there have been in that predicament on a few occasions.

People who probably don't like football making a few quid.

Bit like sisu really

my big arguement on the day of the crewe game was we paid to park the car on the field up by the novo hotel ,loads of folk takng your money and making sure you parked so, as to get as many in. trouble was it rained and none of those people around to help folk get of the field again ,just another ,we got your money we don't give a xxxx attitude ,

Users who are viewing this thread