Brandon Speedway (1 Viewer)

I have, as most of us have heard a rumour without substance or do I have any real evidence. This is that the ground that Sisu have earmarked for the new ground is the Brandon Speedway. Obviously I could do without Sisu and I want the Sky Blues playing at the Ricoh but you can see this being true as the owners of the speedway have the site up for sale. Also it's also comes under Rugby Borough Council so they'd welcome them with open arms unlike our Coventry Council. Personally I can't see it happening as the traffic would cause a huge problem.

RoboCCFC90

I can't see this option being a realistic, the Alexander Stadium would probably be more viable, but at this moment speculation is all we have..

Last edited:

BrisbaneBronco

Its 11.5km from Cov City centre compared with Ricoh which is 5km.
Do not know if site would be big enough for future expansion. Then as someone pointed out yesterday, the locals would surely be up in arms.
From memory parking is a nightmare even for smaller Speedway crowds. Perhaps they could organize park and ride from the Ricoh:D

bigfatronssba

Why exactly would Rugby boro welcome a new stadium with open arms?

BrisbaneBronco

I can't see this option being a realistic, the Alexander Stadium would probably be more viable, but at this moment speculation is all we have..

That's a good shout for a ground share arrangement 7000 covered seats and 12500 capacity. Road network not too bad.

RoboCCFC90

That's a good shout for a ground share arrangement 7000 covered seats and 12500 capacity. Road network not too bad.

I still have a feeling it won't be the Alexander either, but it's better than Brandon Speedway..

dadgad

That's Binley/Brandon/Wolston/bretford area!
No fucking way. Move a cow shed round there and you're satan's daughter ffs!

Nick

Administrator
The thing with the road network is that there is 1 road in and 1 road out isnt there which would be a massive bottleneck?

ccfcrob

The road and Brandon is terrible I way in and out... Would be worse then the ricoh. This would be a ridiculous idea... When speedway is on the parking along the road is dreadful

RoboCCFC90

The Brandon just screams no..

Delboycov

You're not talking about the Alexander stadium being the location of a permanent new home are you Rob?! Let me tell you, a stadium for COVENTRY City based in Birmingham would never be viable! Apologies if I've missed something here but the OP was talking about a new ground ;-)

RoboCCFC90

You're not talking about the Alexander stadium being the location of a permanent new home are you Rob?! Let me tell you, a stadium for COVENTRY City based in Birmingham would never be viable! Apologies if I've missed something here but the OP was talking about a new ground ;-)

No no Del I am not.. Yeah I know I made a mistake and hoped no one would notice ;)

Moff

That's Binley/Brandon/Wolston/bretford area!
No fucking way. Move a cow shed round there and you're satan's daughter ffs!

So very true Dadgad.

Although Rugby BC would take sweets off a kid to make money, even they wouldnt be so stupid.

More chance of Joy Seppalla bearing all in the centre circle of the Ricoh, signing a million pound a match rent deal with ACL, whilst kicking Tim Fisher repeatedly up the arse.

SkyBlueHomer

Not a chance. As others have said road system is just not up to it.
I've heard this a few times on here, others forums as well as covmad on Sunday 19th.

Anyone who does not believe this just go to Brandon 1st Saturday of each month for the F1 stox racing, leave at the end on the night then come on here and say its workable still

D

Ddccfc

NIMBY. No chance.

I'm not convinced people understand how planning consent works.

Applications can only be turned down for "planning reasons".

Whether 1 or 1 million people say "I don't want it" makes no difference. "I don't want it" is not a planning reason.

aloisiwouldhavescored

I have, as most of us have heard a rumour without substance or do I have any real evidence. This is that the ground that Sisu have earmarked for the new ground is the Brandon Speedway. Obviously I could do without Sisu and I want the Sky Blues playing at the Ricoh but you can see this being true as the owners of the speedway have the site up for sale. Also it's also comes under Rugby Borough Council so they'd welcome them with open arms unlike our Coventry Council. Personally I can't see it happening as the traffic would cause a huge problem.

Absolutely right about the traffic. Up until 3 or 4 years ago we used to go to Brandon speedway regularly and particularly when there was a local derby like against Wolverhampton, getting in was a nightmare, long queues on the eastern bypass, and that was only for a few thousand.

psgm1

Banned
I pass the old greyhound stadium most days there's a hell of ground space there and good road network.

Good road network?

You mean the single lane road leading up to the ground which is at an utter standstill whenever a speedway meet is on? Have you driven by the roundabout?It is almost gridlock with any level of traffic. It's bad enough at the ricoh with dual carriageway! You would have to add probably an extra hour to your journey just for the traffic!

And that is with the limited attendance of a speedway meet. Can you imagine the utter chaos a half decent fa cup tie would cause?

Brandon is utterly unrealistic. If by some chance it is the site TF is considering, then he truly is delusional!

mattylad

Whether 1 or 1 million people say "I don't want it" makes no difference. "I don't want it" is not a planning reason.

True but a build of this sort would at least have to go in front of the planning inspectorate if not through a full ministeral public enquiry.

With Brandon in particular the impact to the surrounding area of Brandon Wood is something that would need greater consideration than normal planning and the build being over 100sq metres in size also needs to be looked at in line with the community infrastructure levy..which is payable by the local council if they grant planning permission.

RogerH

Neither is it as simplistic as you imply.
Part of the planning process involves statutory consultations.
The Highways Agency have to be consulted, they have to look at access roads, volumes of traffic and how that would impact on the local area.
Also, if it is a rural area, Natural England would have to be consulted. They only have to discover that the site is the habitat of a rare or endangered species, and the whole application could be jeopardised.
Also, although as you say it may not be the main consideration, I cannot believe that elected members on the Planning Committee would ride roughshod over the views of protesters (who are usually very well organised media wise) whose votes they want next time they are up for re-election.

J

Jack Griffin

Brandon, LOL.. speed bumps all along the Rugby Road from Coventry end, approaches from Wolston & Bretford are very narrow & constricted.
Totally unsuitable for crowds above 3000 or so.

bigfatronssba

Imagine Toll Bar island if this happened. Tgi island isn't much better.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Got it there is a site in Meriden recently vacated dont worry about the road network the people who have left can come back and build them no problem However locals are a bit bolshy

Users who are viewing this thread