Bradley Wiggins (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Im by no means a cycling expert, but everything seems a little bit dodgy. Heard earlier he was hammering a drug that should only be used once a year at most for emergencies.

Covstu

Its extremely dodgy but probably a good thing as it exposes Sky and their 'walking the ethical line' approach. All the missing medical records are too circumstantial to be coincidence (missing Russian laptops anyone?) but equally they have not broken the rules. There needs to be a proper look at TUE's and how they are administered in cycling (and athletics for that matter) as a lot of cyclists are getting away with this as its covered/unchecked by the UCI or Wada. The drug that Wiggo apparently used would have gave him massive gains (not marginal) as it causes weight loss and maintains power but Roche was saying that they all used to get Tramadol injections to get through races regardless of how they felt!
Its another mark on cycling and sadly British cycling at that. A lot of the other teams have been looking at how they can attack Sky off the road as they cannot compete on the road and this clearly might be it although I bet nothing gets done as they are technically in the rules.

rob9872

I wonder if it was just them or if they were at a disadvantage by not taking it. Be interesting to see how many others also had the same 'in the rules' boost. I imagine as it was legal though, whatever supplements the team suggested, they did what they were advised would help - no different really to supplements, diet, training programme, bike etc so much science, I doubt he was doing it to cheat but every member of the team.

It appears as if there is a genuine appetite to discredit not only Wiggins but also Froome and Mo Farrah among others. Is it jealousy? I see Keys is hot on it again as per anything he can get onto Sky for after he was sacked for 'smashing it'. Build em up and knock em down, but broadsheet journalism showing it's no better than the tabloids they simply know longer words.

NorthernWisdom

It appears as if there is a genuine appetite to discredit not only Wiggins but also Froome and Mo Farrah among others. Is it jealousy?
Any other country, you'd have to say we'd be pointing the finger.

(And I say that as somebody who can watch mo Farah and be inspired, I seriously hope nothing comes out for him too much)

What it does show is the will to win means pushing things to the limit... whoever you are.

Covstu

I wonder if it was just them or if they were at a disadvantage by not taking it. Be interesting to see how many others also had the same 'in the rules' boost. I imagine as it was legal though, whatever supplements the team suggested, they did what they were advised would help - no different really to supplements, diet, training programme, bike etc so much science, I doubt he was doing it to cheat but every member of the team.

It appears as if there is a genuine appetite to discredit not only Wiggins but also Froome and Mo Farrah among others. Is it jealousy? I see Keys is hot on it again as per anything he can get onto Sky for after he was sacked for 'smashing it'. Build em up and knock em down, but broadsheet journalism showing it's no better than the tabloids they simply know longer words.
Its difficult, back in the 80's/90's around the Armstrong era if you didn't dope you weren't even close so that was part of the culture back then. Obviously they tried to clean the sport up as best as possible but prescription drugs will always be a factor as people have genuine illnesses. Asthma is a classic one where the overall average of cases is far in excess of a group of 'joe public', apparently this is due to the strains of the sport and therefore greater awareness?? hmmm plausible but no convinced. The only true way would be to stop ANY kind of medication which would obviously put a lot of genuine sufferers out of the sport and therefore potentially discriminatory.

As for discrediting, the whole episode started from the Russian hackers as all three names popped up with their medical records leaked (amazing how they could find Wiggo's!) so its a direct hit back from the whistleblowing on state sponsored doping.

For me everything you do potentially gives you an edge down to the tech on the bike (e-doping?), nutrition supplements but there is a big difference in actually injecting something into your body unless it was for a known medical reason.

it will be interesting to see what happens with Wiggo and Froome for this season, Froome will get even more pelters in France this year and they may have to consider his welfare. I also think there will be more probes into what Farah has been doing particularly with the doctors he keeps company with!

Terry Gibson's perm

It just looks such a difficult sport from the outside I can’t see how they do the speeds everyday

NorthernWisdom

The only true way would be to stop ANY kind of medication which would obviously put a lot of genuine sufferers out of the sport and therefore potentially discriminatory.
This is the difficult thing though, isn't it? Some people aren't physically strong enough or co-ordinated enough to be good at saports, some aren't disposed to intellectual things, some can't be mechanics... and to an extent, it's life'd deal of the pack that determines what you can or can't be. Bill Werbeniuk used to drink pint after pint to steady his arm while playing snooker as he had an illness which meant it shook!

Is medicine to overcome illnesses one of those things? Should we put it down to bad luck? I would have said no, but if it's as bungled as this seems to be, then I think about revising my opinion.

Surely drugs are either OK to take... or they aren't? Adding exceptions like this ends up a bloody big mess.

rob9872

... or the flip side - let them take as many drugs as they like, since it seems most teams are always looking for ways to stretch the rules to their advantage. If all drugs are available then everyone has the same opportunity and choice.

Moff

Im by no means a cycling expert, but everything seems a little bit dodgy. Heard earlier he was hammering a drug that should only be used once a year at most for emergencies.

He was taking a drug out of competition which was allowed, but its use through TUE during competition is the subject of debate.

I do think he has been hung out to dry though, with no recourse to what a bunch of MP's have decided. I mean MP's are squeaky clean aren't they and never twist the rules to suit their own agenda. :banghead:

Sadly in cycling its the fine margins that lead to winning and if the rules can be unethically broken then I am sure Sky weren't the only one's to do it, but only in the UK will we champion the fact that this may have been the case. Personally I think we just hate winners.

Covstu

Sadly in cycling its the fine margins that lead to winning and if the rules can be unethically broken then I am sure Sky weren't the only one's to do it, but only in the UK will we champion the fact that this may have been the case. Personally I think we just hate winners.
Agree, we seem to thrive on hammering our sports stars whether it be England football team, farah, cyclists etc. Sad really

Otis

True. I assume there are some side effects however!
giphy.gif

wingy

Given the History of the sport it's hard not to assume nefarious intent IMO, saddening in all honesty .
I wonder how many footballers are on this medication given the report last year of a sizable percentage who suffer with asthma.
It was quite staggering as I recall. 28%
Swimmers 70%
Roadcyclists 33%.
According to the study this is through excercise induced asthma, the everyday condition found in childhood runs at 8-10 %.

Moff

Given the History of the sport it's hard not to assume nefarious intent IMO, saddening in all honesty .
I wonder how many footballers are on this medication given the report last year of a sizable percentage who suffer with asthma.
Swimmers 70%
Roadcyclists 33%.
According to the study this is through excercise induced asthma, the everyday condition found in childhood runs at 8-10 %.

I genuinely feel sympathy with Wiggins about the condition he suffered with, which is asthma, particularly due to grass pollen.

Having never had asthma or hayfever I developed it about ten years ago, and suffer terribly through the pollen season, particularly May-July like Wiggins does.
As there isn't a great deal of knowledge out there on this the press react like he has popped every pill going, and yet he would had to have taken it to compete equally. If I don't take my medication through the summer it hugely affects my ability to exercise so god knows what it must have done to him.

Last edited:

henry the wasp

Swimmers 70%
Roadcyclists 33%.

Lot of runners are on thyroid medication also. Think this is one of the criticisms of Alberto Salazar at the Nike Oregon Project that Farah was at.

Captain Dart

Jiffygate or I can't believe its not cheating.

Covstu

Swimmers 70%
Roadcyclists 33%.
I think the awareness is also greater and therefore the support mechanisms are there to address these to ensure they can still compete. I think ultimately they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it wasn't for mystery parcels and missing medical records which to be fair don't look good.

Users who are viewing this thread