Boxing Day deadline (1 Viewer)

ampthill_sba

3 days to the Boxing Day deadline to pay our rent or receive a winding up order... any insights, whiffs of rumour, grains of truth, concrete evidence; please post here...

I don't believe it will come to eviction, liquidation or administration but am very concerned that with only 48hrs of working days to go, SISU appear to be playing 'Mexican standoff' with our landlords :(

Perhaps their plan was to believe that the Mayans prediction was true and the end of the world would get them out of their predicament.

Grendel

Nothing will happen until well into the New Year I would guess.

Diehard Si

I didn't want to start a thread on this as I don't want it to be taken too seriously (I'm probably the most cynical person there is for hearing these rumours, especially from my mate who knows I'm after gossip).

BUT... In the car going to the game yesterday, my mate who works at the club informed me that ACL have had offers already for the Ricoh should we go bust or leave. 1 is from a premier league London based rugby side and the other was from Monster Trucks.

If so, our threats of moving to Hinckley just really backfired.

Grendel

I am sure they won't be paying £1.2 million rent whoever they are.

Sky Blues

There were issues earlier this year with London Welsh playing at Oxford now they are in the Premiership. Could they be interested?

From Wikipedia (so, yes, not gospel): "On 1 June 2012 it was revealed that Crystal Palace co-chairman Steve Parish had approached senior figures at the club about a possible ground-share at Selhurst Park, as the clubs plans to play their matches at Kassam Stadium were deemed unsuitable by the RFU, after securing promotion to the English Premiership. [7] However a legal appeal by the club against the RFU's actions was upheld on the 28 June 2012, after the appeal panel ruled that the criteria were in breach of EU and UK competition laws. Promotion was ultimately secured when it was announced that Newcastle Falcons, the club facing relegation from the Premiership, would not appeal against the ruling.[8]"

Sky Blues

Here's Wikipedia on Saracens: "Saracens also had one major off-field development during the season. Their landlord Watford F.C. activated a break clause in their groundshare deal, which at the time meant that Saracens needed a new home for the 2011–12 season. After looking at several venues in the area, Saracens announced on 10 November 2010 that it was in serious discussions with Barnet Borough Council about a move to the athletics stadium at the Barnet Copthall complex. Under the plan, Saracens would redevelop the stadium into a modern facility with 3,000 permanent seats and demountable stands to allow a rugby capacity of 10,000, and include the first artificial pitch in English rugby union.[3]
Because of delays in the Barnet Copthall project, Saracens eventually reached an agreement with Watford to extend the groundshare at Vicarage Road for the 2011–12 season; the agreement will cover at least 10 home matches that season.[4]"

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
CWR reported that ACL had said nothing would happen before 2nd January because courts etc are either closed or have little time available between Xmas and New Year

Would make sense for ACL to make alternative plans and to invite serious interest from other potential short or long term tenants. Would need to be more credible than some of the alternative venues CCFC have put in the press though.

Doubt they will need to pay equivalent of £1.2m in rent but then again CCFC don't have to either

Otis

There were issues earlier this year with London Welsh playing at Oxford now they are in the Premiership. Could they be interested?

From Wikipedia (so, yes, not gospel): "On 1 June 2012 it was revealed that Crystal Palace co-chairman Steve Parish had approached senior figures at the club about a possible ground-share at Selhurst Park, as the clubs plans to play their matches at Kassam Stadium were deemed unsuitable by the RFU, after securing promotion to the English Premiership. [7] However a legal appeal by the club against the RFU's actions was upheld on the 28 June 2012, after the appeal panel ruled that the criteria were in breach of EU and UK competition laws. Promotion was ultimately secured when it was announced that Newcastle Falcons, the club facing relegation from the Premiership, would not appeal against the ruling.[8]"

Out of 250,000 in this fair city there are 12 Welsh.

Actually there are quite a few more, but they just don't like to admit to it.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Might be able do bring in several different new tenants, so there is use of the pitch over 12 months not 9 for example. Or do a deal with a couple of parties so the stadium used twice a week. That way the rent income need from ACL can be spread around. All about options and looking at getting them possible and in place if something happens to CCFC

Otis

Just wonder what would happen if we were to go to say, Hinckley, get promoted now and then have 14,000 -15,000 want to go up each week next season in the Championship?:whistle:

wingy

Just wonder what would happen if we were to go to say, Hinckley, get promoted now and then have 14,000 -15,000 want to go up each week next season in the Championship?:whistle:

but we're not .......................Are we??;)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Strange isn't it we are repeatedly assured there is no alternative to CCFC ........ and yet people can easily think of potential alternatives. :thinking about:

Of course the best solution is a partnership between CCFC, ACL and fans built on honesty trust and transparency working to everyone's benefit .......... long way to go, a lot of changes and i think a lot of hard times before we get anything like that

wingy

The answer if they have any ambition for the Club at all would have to be Leshta or the Bluenoses,anything less and its an admission that the level they've got us at is where they're happy for us to be ,neither of those two would entice me out of Coventry i'm affraid.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Would need to put match day ticket prices up to something like £35+ on average (so that includes season tickets) though to make it work because of capacity issues........ how many fans would pay that to watch CCFC at Hinckley ?

Sky Blues

Might be able do bring in several different new tenants, so there is use of the pitch over 12 months not 9 for example. Or do a deal with a couple of parties so the stadium used twice a week. That way the rent income need from ACL can be spread around. All about options and looking at getting them possible and in place if something happens to CCFC

Indeed. The uses for a 32,000 seated stadium are limited only by the imagination and the demand for a particular event. The advantage the Ricoh has is it is not too big and not to small, and most importantly, right in the middle of the country with easy access from the motorway network. I guess Monster Trucks, the increasingly popular extreme sports or boxing bouts might all be possible events that could utilise such a ground and look to draw people from not just Coventry but from much further afield because of the transport links. On their own they wouldn't cover the shortfall I guess, but a range of events over the course of a year? Who knows? And it might be easier to do if there was not a playing field in the middle that needed to be kept in good shape for a football club.

Otis

Would need to put match day ticket prices up to something like £35+ on average (so that includes season tickets) though to make it work because of capacity issues........ how many fans would pay that to watch CCFC at Hinckley ?

Yep. totally agree. They would have to put prices up. Championship players would want Championship wages.

As you say, who would pay the likes £25+ to watch City play at Hinckley with all the lack of facilities and comfort etc.?

wingy

Indeed. The uses for a 32,000 seated stadium are limited only by the imagination and the demand for a particular event. The advantage the Ricoh has is it is not too big and not to small, and most importantly, right in the middle of the country with easy access from the motorway network. I guess Monster Trucks, the increasingly popular extreme sports or boxing bouts might all be possible events that could utilise such a ground and look to draw people from not just Coventry but from much further afield because of the transport links. On their own they wouldn't cover the shortfall I guess, but a range of events over the course of a year? Who knows? And it might be easier to do if there was not a playing field in the middle that needed to be kept in good shape for a football club.

And the final line perfectly explains the premium CCFC are required to pay when the oft used inadequately explained L1 average is trotted out.

Otis

Yep. totally agree. They would have to put prices up. Championship players would want Championship wages.

As you say, who would pay the likes £25+ to watch City play at Hinckley with all the lack of facilities and comfort etc.?

Which also makes you wonder if the club lack ambition. Best way to turn around our finances is success on the field.

They must know that if we were to go up the the attendances would rise and could rise quite dramatically. Wolves, Leshtur, Brum at home, could all be 20,000+ crowds.

Have a great season in the Championship and be pushing for play-offs there and it could be 20,000 pretty much every game.

So...... Hinckley? Seriously? Our goal has to be promotion surely?

Only hope for us is a serious investor with money to throw away or success on the pitch and that's it!

Lord_Nampil

I don't think you would say could be 20k games they will be 20k games! You have Leeds forest derby Sheffield Wednesday who also have decent away followings!

Chipfat

Could it be the shortfall in rent will be made up by CCFC sharing the ground with a Rugby team, making it easier to make a deal with SISU... I haven't heard this but have heard ACL were talking to a Rugby team but thought it was Wasps.....

dongonzalos

It all goes Pete tong and coventry under whatever circumstances go out of the Ricoh or business.

Can someone do a Wimbledon or MK Dons and move their football club to the Ricoh.

dongonzalos

No. Think they put the kibosh on that happening again.

So that can never happen again. Was that the football league?

As I was thinking what are ACL's alternatives if they stick with it as a football arena.

Was thinking say Leyton Orient for example.

They are about to get West ham as a very close neighbour and think they may go under because of it.

If a rich person/group bought them.
Moved them to Coventry and either negotiated a rent with ACl or bought out ACL.

They could own a football club in Coventry with this catchment area to tap into so potentially 400k and get half the Ricoh.

I assume that like you say that is either blocked now or has so many complexities it would not be feasible?

Again I am thinking if the Rivoh is sitting there empty cov have either moved somewhere else or gone bust and another club is on the verge of going bust.

SkyBlueLondon

So that can never happen again. Was that the football league?<br />
<br />
As I was thinking what are ACL's alternatives if they stick with it as a football arena.<br />
<br />
Was thinking say Leyton Orient for example.<br />
<br />
They are about to get West ham as a very close neighbour and think they may go under because of it.<br />
<br />
If a rich person/group bought them.<br />
Moved them to Coventry and either negotiated a rent with ACl or bought out ACL. <br />
<br />
They could own a football club in Coventry with this catchment area to tap into so potentially 400k and get half the Ricoh.<br />
<br />
I assume that like you say that is either blocked now or has so many complexities it would not be feasible?<br />
<br />
Again I am thinking if the Rivoh is sitting there empty cov have either moved somewhere else or gone bust and another club is on the verge of going bust.
<br />
<br />

Not sure thats a viable option. But it is well reported (and has been) throughout the year, that the board of Bath Rugby club are looking for an all seater stadium to move into because their current ground only holds 11k or so.

Users who are viewing this thread