Boxing 2023 (1 Viewer)

tisza

Someone please explain the fascination with this Paul Vs Tommy Fury fight.
2 kids who have fought nobody and spend their lives in the media. Paul is at least a stone heavier.about a dozen "fights" between.
I get social media and entertainment pages would get excited by it. But it's getting ridiculous coverage( both sides of the Atlantic) from serious sports media.
Maybe because it's February and they don't get many serious fights this early in the year.

SBAndy

It’s ghastly. Anyone who gives it legitimacy needs a slap.

Edit: and in a microcosm it sums up why I’ve fallen out of love with boxing. Was in Vegas 2 weeks back and there’s 1 fight scheduled there all year.

LastGarrison

Watching mayweather , at 46 you still have to admire how great the bloke is .. one of the greatest ever

On firestick btw , never paid nothing
I saw a video on Insta the other day and the speed and power he still has in his jab is ridiculous!!

One of my favourite fighters of all time…….although I still maintain that my favourite fighter of all time, Oscar De La Hoya, won their fight!!

tisza

It’s utter bollocks as was Mayweather/McGregor and all these exhibition fights.

Turning boxing into WWE.
Still hard to see how that fight generated do much money. Never gotten into MMA but the two of them were supposed to have earned around 400 million between them!!

Greggs

Does anyone have a stream for the circus tonight please? Much appreciated

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Does anyone have a stream for the circus tonight please? Much appreciated
Three Stooges Vintage GIF

tisza

Fury split win - one of the judges got paid off😄
Fury won pretty comfortably. Split decision I suppose gives chance for another money making return.
Neither of them any good. It is just a circus.
Found a dodgy stream - guess you have to be a celeb fan to pay to watch that.apparently 50 dollars to watch that.
Wilder there. Are we looking at Fury-Wilder 4 or is it just a push to get Usyk to sign a deal?

tisza

Get it now. Just seen a Bunce interview and it makes sense. I had no idea this Paul had 200m followers on social media. And Bunce is right boxing needs help.

CCFCSteve

Watched the fight earlier. Not bad but Paul’s a limited fighter….as you would expect. Fact he can generate a few million per fight is crazy really. Agree with Bunce that further exposure is good for boxing, however, shit fighters getting paid millions while far more skilled, proper professionals getting next to nothing just feels wrong to me

The YouTube generation are turning it into WWE and that includes Mayweather fighting bums and these crappy crossovers like McGregor

The main problem boxing has at the moment is promoters having exclusive TV deals. This is making it very difficult to match fighters meaning we’re getting a lot of average fights and not the fights we would all want to see…appreciate it’s always been the case to an extent but just feels even worse currently

tisza

Watched the fight earlier. Not bad but Paul’s a limited fighter….as you would expect. Fact he can generate a few million per fight is crazy really. Agree with Bunce that further exposure is good for boxing, however, shit fighters getting paid millions while far more skilled, proper professionals getting next to nothing just feels wrong to me

The YouTube generation are turning it into WWE and that includes Mayweather fighting bums and these crappy crossovers like McGregor

The main problem boxing has at the moment is promoters having exclusive TV deals. This is making it very difficult to match fighters meaning we’re getting a lot of average fights and not the fights we would all want to see…appreciate it’s always been the case to an extent but just feels even worse currently
Boxing has a load of problems:
- too many organizations equals too many"world champs"
- little free boxing on TV. Now you need pay TV and then if a big fight comes along you've got to pay an extra PPV. Losing the casual fan
- MMA. Product of modern society. People want fast "crash,bang,wallop" - whether it's fights, cricket (T20 Vs tests), other abridged sports. Takes a boxing afficionado to appreciate a cagey, tactical 12 rounder - not going to appeal to casual audience.
- fewer people starting boxing. Less opportunities, not as "exciting" as some martial arts, MMA etc
- agree on promoters, TV contracts. Stops too many big fights. But fighters / promoters making a living by taking safe fights.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Boxing has always been about promotion and selling tickets/revenue generation. Ask and listen to podcasts to hear how so many of them had to go sell them in pubs/clubs etc and deliver them. Even Ricky Hatton was doing that with his family on fight day.
These guys have millions wiling to pay or watch so as a promoter, it’s a gift/dream, you don’t actually have to do that much to make money.
It’s not what was perceived as boxing, don’t have a problem with it, calling it misfits for branding etc is all fine, I just accept it for what it it is, it’s an event, not a great boxing spectacle but an event. Paul trains hard, as does KSI etc, not knocking it, they are doing something few others can but you cannot create a professional ring crafted boxer in 2 years, it takes years and years.

The best fighters haven’t always been world champions, the ones that get managed and promoted often do or stage managed if they have a great following or certain dodgy connections……

I love the sport but it keeps letting itself down, will be excluded from the Olympics soon which will be a real shame, the Benn fiasco is a joke, they are all on gear, weight gain or loss gear and he got caught, if liked, the governing body finds an eggspert to create a plausible eggcuse.

tisza

Boxing has always been about promotion and selling tickets/revenue generation. Ask and listen to podcasts to hear how so many of them had to go sell them in pubs/clubs etc and deliver them. Even Ricky Hatton was doing that with his family on fight day.
These guys have millions wiling to pay or watch so as a promoter, it’s a gift/dream, you don’t actually have to do that much to make money.
It’s not what was perceived as boxing, don’t have a problem with it, calling it misfits for branding etc is all fine, I just accept it for what it it is, it’s an event, not a great boxing spectacle but an event. Paul trains hard, as does KSI etc, not knocking it, they are doing something few others can but you cannot create a professional ring crafted boxer in 2 years, it takes years and years.

The best fighters haven’t always been world champions, the ones that get managed and promoted often do or stage managed if they have a great following or certain dodgy connections……

I love the sport but it keeps letting itself down, will be excluded from the Olympics soon which will be a real shame, the Benn fiasco is a joke, they are all on gear, weight gain or loss gear and he got caught, if liked, the governing body finds an eggspert to create a plausible eggcuse.
It all highlights why boxing is in trouble. It had little to do with boxing it was all about celebrity.

I don't get celebrity - one of the perks of being an expat is that I have never seen a reality show - not one episode of anything. My mind is consistently blown when reading UK papers the amount of coverage these celebrities get.
I still cannot fathom what Jake Paul does to have these 200 million social media followers.
Anything with celebrities sells . Read a piece in the newspaper few weeks back about how many different types of celeb TV shows from baking ~cakes to buying antiques to ice dancing to boxing.

After 5 (apparently intensive) years in the gym with top trainers Paul still has so many flaws as a boxer. He's not a natural fighter. His movement is so rigid, can't fight going backwards, can't judge distance and a few more basics. But he (and other celebs) can earn millions from these fights. It'll be celeb MMA soon. Then probably in a few years time we'll have our first celeb genuine Hunger games😉

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Anyone watching the boxing on C5 tonight? Just tuned in to see a young heavyweight from Leamington, Matty Harris. He looks bloody quick for 6 foot 8, hopefully goes on to much greater things, would be great to have a top boxer, particularly a heavyweight, from the area.

PurpleBin

River Wilson Bent again tonight. Went well early on to be fair to him.

Said he was looking like he would gas himself out and he did, got stopped late on.

Users who are viewing this thread