Bouwe Bosma - Confirmed Signing (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

I bet if it was Roland Nilsson he’d still be head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.

Funny thing: who gets excited by right backs? It’s the dullest position on the pitch (I played RB)

Terry_dactyl

I bet if it was Roland Nilsson he’d still be head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.

Funny thing: who gets excited by right backs? It’s the dullest position on the pitch (I played RB)

For every Gary Neville there’s a Cafu or a shmmeee!

Manchester_sky_blue

It's more that I don't want to scupper it if it gets out
If it comes off everyone will be very happy and it will be a coup for Robins
And no it won't require the sale of any of our players
If leaking the news was going to scupper the deal then the chain of leaks above you would/will already have scuppered it.

Captain Dart

4. We are waiting to see how good the RB's are in the World Cup.

Going to blow all our Madders money on a world class international.
A Saudi defender?

Otis

A Saudi defender?
I said world class, not Sunday league.

I would think all the Saudi players' valuations will have gone right down after yesterday.

Though all of the back four might all of a suddenly be a lot, lot richer out of the blue.

SlowerThanPlatt

Read a few of their fans comments on Twitter and they said he never stood out as one of their best players or someone who could play at league level. Unlike Allassani and Williams who have stood out and been watched on the regular by other clubs.

He’s 22 not 21 btw.

woody11462

This is purely guess work but I wonder if they have seen something in his physical attributes that has attracted hem in the belief that they can improve his game play. I've heard that a lot of youth scouts aim for youngsters with very good physical performance levels and decent skill levels with a view to working of the skill side.

Winny the Bish

This is purely guess work but I wonder if they have seen something in his physical attributes that has attracted hem in the belief that they can improve his game play. I've heard that a lot of youth scouts aim for youngsters with very good physical performance levels and decent skill levels with a view to working of the skill side.
I think this is definitely it. He's 6'2 or 6'3, has a bit of pace and can play multiple positions - which makes him an intriguing prospect. They can stash him in the U23s for a year, see if he makes the leap technically, and move him to the first team squad.

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City’s recruitment department have further strengthened the club’s development squad with the arrival of Bouwe Bosma.

The 21-year-old Liverpool-born midfielder has signed a two-year contract with the club until June 2020, with the Sky Blues having the option of a one-year extension to the deal.

A versatile midfielder, Bosma has clearly been signed with a view for the future, although with seven goals from 37 appearances in the Isthmian League last season and Coventry’s record for blooding young players, don’t be surprised if he works his way into the first team picture sooner rather than later.

Here, his former manager Darren Freeman gives the lowdown on the highly-rated young player.

Freeman, a 44-year-old former winger/striker, played under former City boss Micky Adams at Fulham, Brentford and Brighton.

Nationality:
Dutch

How do you pronounce his first name?
“Bow-er”

Background:
“I first came across Bouwe when I was manager at Peacehaven and we got him in on loan from Eastbourne Borough

"He was really young then and had a lot to learn but we had a chat with him and told him after his loan spell to go away and do bits and pieces. He did that and when I got the job at Lewes Football Club I made it my priority to go back and try to sign Bouwe.

“There were a few clubs trying to get his signature because he was big and strong and we knew what he could be capable of and, fortunately, we managed to get him in for last season.

"I have a great coach in Tony Coade and we thought we could work really hard with him and put him into the role that we wanted, and to be fair to Bouwe, the only hiccup was the fact that he lived an hour and 40 minutes away.

“But fair play to him he was the first person on the training pitch and the last one to leave. He joined us at 19/20 and it was hard to get his signature at first. But I said to him that we knew he wanted to be a professional footballer and told him we have a pretty good record at Lewes of getting lads into the pro game.

“I said to him that if he buys into what we’re trying to do then we’d work hard to try to make that happen. And to be fair to Bouwe, he came in and worked really hard, got his position and never looked back.”

What’s his best position?
“He came to us as a holding midfielder but the way we wanted to play, if I am honest, he held the ball up and slowed things down a bit too much for my liking, and there’s nothing wrong with that at times. But I put him behind the front man and thought he was fantastic.

“We got promoted this year and he played a major part in it. We looked at the stats and I don’t think we lost a game when he was on the pitch, maybe just one.

“He does all the horrible things, he’ll work hard, track his men, get his shape well, he’s good in the tackle and he’s good in the air.

“He hits the box quite late but, potentially, every day training I think he’ll become a holding midfielder because he’s big and strong.

“But we played him a bit further forward, more as a No.10, only because I had another good lad who was a holding midfielder and I thought Bouwe’s presence in the box would be an asset, which it was because he scored some really important goals for us, as well as setting some really important ones up for others as well."

What types of goals does he score?
“He scored a range of goals. There is nothing in particular that he can’t do. He’s mobile and good with his feet and has scored headers as well, so he has a lot of attributes."

Bayliss mould:
“Coventry have got the lad Tom Bayliss that all the clubs are raving about and if you look at the mould he’s in I think they are looking to turn him into that sort of player. He has got a good range of passing like him, so he sort of fits that mould, if that makes sense.”

What’s his stand out quality?
“He’s a proper 100 per cent winner and loves a tackle. He’s very mobile as well."

Are you confident he can make the step up?
“Yes, definitely. If he’s given the chance, and it’s down to him to take it, I think he can do it.

“For me, I hope he does well because this is what he wanted and he has got an opportunity. And knowing Bouwe, he will try to take that.

“He’s away from home now, out of his comfort zone, but Coventry are a big club and doing well.”

Any other interest?
“Obviously we had scouts at our games all the time. He’s 6ft 3, he’s 21 and very strong for his age. I should think if he’s put in the Under-23s he has a lot of games under his belt and he’ll bully players at that age."

What sort of character is he?
“He’s great with the lads, he’s a great rapper and he’ll be all right when he has to come in and do his initiation bit.

“He’s a good lad who has good banter around the changing room. He’s not big headed, nothing like that. He just gets on with his job and he’s a leader and a winner.

Bouwe is a fully committed and wholehearted player, and for me he has all the attributes to be a professional footballer. If he can get his head down and work I'm sure he will, and training every day can only put him in good stead for the future."

Was there a fee?
“No. To be honest with you down at Lewes we don’t try to get in a player’s way. You can ask Coventry how we dealt with it and we are not there to stand in the lad’s way.

“We want to progress players and myself and my assistant and coach are all of the same view that we just want to help players fulfil their dreams and ambitions, and we’ll never stop a young lad from doing that.

“We didn’t put him on a contract because we knew from the start what he wanted to do.”

Conclusion:
“If Mark Robins can get the best out of him like we did then Coventry will have one hell of a player there.”

Sounds like we’ve got a hybrid of Roy Keane and Gazza :D

Captain Dart

From what I read about him I see him as a long term replacement for Doyle, defensive midfielder.

So far since late May we signed 3 midfielders, a left back and a striker.

Can't be many more signings to come, but I think one or 2 will be going with Bayliss, Beavon, Haynes & Vincenti the most likely to leave in my opinion.

Time will tell.

Mucca Mad Boys

From what I read about him I see him as a long term replacement for Doyle, defensive midfielder.

So far since late May we signed 3 midfielders, a left back and a striker.

Can't be many more signings to come, but I think one or 2 will be going with Bayliss, Beavon, Haynes & Vincenti the most likely to leave in my opinion.

Time will tell.

Personally, I don’t think our transfer business is even close to being concluded. Westbrook and Bosma have been primarily signed as U23 players and JCH isnt a ‘new’ signing per se. Persobally, we need at least 5-6 first team signings (so either starting or benching). So far, we’ve signed two of those (I haven’t counted JCH because we’ve re-signed him) and we’ve had no departures yet (hopefully no important player leave).

Manchester_sky_blue

Personally, I don’t think our transfer business is even close to being concluded. Westbrook and Bosma have been primarily signed as U23 players and JCH isnt a ‘new’ signing per se. Persobally, we need at least 5-6 first team signings (so either starting or benching). So far, we’ve signed two of those (I haven’t counted JCH because we’ve re-signed him) and we’ve had no departures yet (hopefully no important player leave).
With Jones and Andreu being almost like new signings I can't see us signing another 4 or more players, unless key players from the existing squad leave.

Mucca Mad Boys

With Jones and Andreu being almost like new signings I can't see us signing another 4 or more players, unless key players from the existing squad leave.

If we want to challenge for promotion, then we need to add depth and improve the starting XI too. For CM, we still only have Kelly, Doyle and Bayliss, Doyle turns 37 and is Kelly a top end CM for L1? This is an area we need to improve on. We still have 1-2 wingers in Jones and Allassani, one is just coming off a season-long injury, the other is an unproven quantity yet. In any case, we lack a right footer in this department. If we sign that Sterling for RB, that’s already 3 signings already.

If our goal is to genuinely challenge for promotion, we absolutely need to improve by a lot. If the goal was to consolidate, I’d accept that the team was more or less ready.

standupforcity

I know he improved considerably during the season, but I still feel Burge is a weak link...always feel nervous when the ball is anywhere near him. A quality keeper would be a big plus for a promotion push!

SkyBlueJord

I know he improved considerably during the season, but I still feel Burge is a weak link...always feel nervous when the ball is anywhere near him. A quality keeper would be a big plus for a promotion push!

If, for example, Burge hadn't played for us previously and we signed him in January, where he played like he did for the second half of the season, would you have the same nervousness?

I think the exact same as you. But I do believe that he is a good keeper, that is still learning. The trouble is we all know him what he can be like. Just wondering if that would be any different if we didn't know what he was like over the last couple years.

SkyBlueCRJ

Really? I think even without exits we'll probably need another CM, a winger, a RB and a GK.

In regard to the centre of the park, Westbrooke and Bosma are likely to initially start in the U23's as they're unlikely to be first team ready and judging from last seasons performances Maycock is a long way off to be in consideration for the first team. Yes I understand there could be one surprise coming out from nowhere but realistically if there's room for manoeuvre in the budget for another central player Robins won't make that gamble, he's far too cautious for that. So, ultimately I can see another CM or CDM coming in - this could rise to two if Bayliss leaves.

Another winger is needed as currently we only have two out and out wingers which will leave us short if injuries start to rack up. Also, similarly to that of Andreu, you can't assume that Jones will initially come back all guns blazing given that he's been out since November. Vincenti and Shipley aren't wingers - I can see Vincenti being utilised as a back-up to Andreu in a No.10 role as I believe he'd actually do a job there.

Obviously we need a RB as we only have Grimmer and fingers crossed we bring in Sterling as I think he'd be a force in League One.

Again, assuming there's room in the budget I think it's important we bring in another GK as a replacement for O'Brien. IMO he isn't up to the standards that are required in League One. I know every player has their off days but let's be honest he wasn't up to scratch in League Two during the majority of his cameos. Plus Burge needs to be kept on his toes and build on this past season.

standupforcity

If, for example, Burge hadn't played for us previously and we signed him in January, where he played like he did for the second half of the season, would you have the same nervousness?

I think the exact same as you. But I do believe that he is a good keeper, that is still learning. The trouble is we all know him what he can be like. Just wondering if that would be any different if we didn't know what he was like over the last couple years.
Hard to tell...but I just think we should look at the keeper situation. We seem well covered elsewhere providing none of our key players leave.

Captain Dart

That thought about returning injured players gets trotted out every season, the problem is that usually someone else gets injured.

A few squad injuries are something that have to be managed, but the main thing is to have sufficient squad depth to deal with whatever happens.

Users who are viewing this thread