Bournemouth after Moore? (1 Viewer)

SeaSeeEffCee

Moore is ok. He’s probably mid-table Champ keeper, which is fine. He’s got a massive weakness in 1 on 1s and shots down low across his body though.

CDK

His agent touting him last big payday for Moore possible premier league,as for Burnley,oops I mean Bournemouth they spent there budget in January.

SBAndy

I know last summer we were linked with Matija Sarkic - any idea if that would be worthwhile?

Frostie

I know last summer we were linked with Matija Sarkic - any idea if that would be worthwhile?

Did really well at Birmingham but had his season ended by injury. Just signed a new contract at Wolves where he'll be 2nd choice next season.

Frostie

As I said I know I’m not allowed an opinion on him ;)

But if I were, I’d say that he’s very good at one thing: distribution, where he ranks among the best in the division:

View attachment 25430View attachment 25431

But on the bread and butter of being a keeper and stopping shots he’s decidedly mid to lower table:

View attachment 25432View attachment 25433View attachment 25434View attachment 25435

I'd agree. Very good with ball at his feet & his confidence at coming for crosses and command of his area was an enormous improvement for us. Whilst I'd ignore the Save% & Total Saves stats as they're pretty meaningless he's only a pretty average shot stopper.

All that said, I don't think there's a huge difference in quality between the average keepers & the best keepers in the Championship.

fatso

I can't see Bournmouth paying good money for Moore, and I can't see Moore wanting to move, just to be a number 2 unless there's silly wages being offered.

So looks like we are stuck with him.

SBT

I'd agree. Very good with ball at his feet & his confidence at coming for crosses and command of his area was an enormous improvement for us. Whilst I'd ignore the Save% & Total Saves stats as they're pretty meaningless he's only a pretty average shot stopper.

All that said, I don't think there's a huge difference in quality between the average keepers & the best keepers in the Championship.

I think if we’re playing three at the back then a keeper’s ability with his feet is much more important to us than his shot stopping ability.

Frostie

I think if we’re playing three at the back then a keeper’s ability with his feet is much more important to us than his shot stopping ability.

I agree, his ability with his feet & command of his area were why he was identified & signed and has proven to be a huge upgrade.

I think if you could get those AND pair it with an exceptional level of shotstopping then great, but you're probably looking at PL goalkeepers or massive fees/wages.

Moore is perfectly adequate at this level imo.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree, his ability with his feet & command of his area were why he was identified & signed and has proven to be a huge upgrade.

I think if you could get those AND pair it with an exceptional level of shotstopping then great, but you're probably looking at PL goalkeepers or massive fees/wages.

Moore is perfectly adequate at this level imo.

Has been mentioned before but a good number of the goals he's conceded have looked pretty soft or weakly struck. Is there anything in that gut feeling? Certainly a number of times when it looked like he had time to get across.

shmmeee

I think it’s a position made for our model TBH. Lots of young keepers about looking for time, if they do well they sell as well.

shmmeee

Yeah this is fair and if you look at those graphs Moore and Smithies who are up the top for distribution and both are down the bottom elsewhere. As Frostie says do both and you’re a Prem keeper.

I’d just like either a more solid back three or a better shot stopper. And it’s looking like Fadz and Hyam will be a mainstay again next season.

Frostie

Has been mentioned before but a good number of the goals he's conceded have looked pretty soft or weakly struck. Is there anything in that gut feeling? Certainly a number of times when it looked like he had time to get across.

The Goals prevented chart @shmmeee shared is probably the best stat to judge shot stopping (provided you have a big have enough dataset) as this effectively uses xGOT (Expected Goals on Target) which is the inverse of xG to decide the likelihood of a shot being scored & then as such the chance a keeper has of saving it.

3C77CC64-1E51-4C7A-975A-2BD778CB62FE.jpeg

Over the course of a season Moore's Goals Prevented is pretty close to zero so essentially he saves about what he should. Obviously within that will include goals he should have done better on but also there will be saves he made where he did better than expected.

From the 'eye test' of watching him I'd agree with @SeaSeeEffCee that he has a weakness to low shots across his body & I have always thought he has a very odd tendency to go to ground very early in 1v1 situations although ironically there have been a number of times where this has worked well for him despite being pretty unorthodox.

SeaSeeEffCee

The Goals prevented chart @shmmeee shared is probably the best stat to judge shot stopping (provided you have a big have enough dataset) as this effectively uses xGOT (Expected Goals on Target) which is the inverse of xG to decide the likelihood of a shot being scored & then as such the chance a keeper has of saving it.

View attachment 25436

Over the course of a season Moore's Goals Prevented is pretty close to zero so essentially he saves about what he should. Obviously within that will include goals he should have done better on but also there will be saves he made where he did better than expected.

From the 'eye test' of watching him I'd agree with @SeaSeeEffCee that he has a weakness to low shots across his body & I have always thought he has a very odd tendency to go to ground very early in 1v1 situations although ironically there have been a number of times where this has worked well for him despite being pretty unorthodox.
The goals that immediately spring to mind are Andre Gray vs QPR and Karlan Grant vs West Brom. When he has a good game (Fulham away) he’s very good, but I also don’t think you can ignore how often we seemed to concede from the first shot on target we faced last season either.

For the record though, I wouldn’t get rid and I’d much rather have Moore in goal than a loanee who we’d then have to replace again next year.

Brighton Sky Blue

View attachment 25436

Well yes that multi save against Middlesbrough would probably have racked up a bit on its own. I think the ones that particularly surprised me, off the top of my head were:

Swansea’s opening goal at home
QPR’s opening goal at home

Anyway it’s minor criticism, he’s generally been great value

long way home

I don't think MR is completely sold on the idea that Moore is a No 1 keeper. And sees him and the position as one he can improve. Do not be shocked if we get offered a fee we see him move on.

MR said he wanted 4 in all defensive players, of which 2 were Left sided CB, 1 LWB the other he said was another defensive player The palace LWB is the 3rd so the 4th might be a GK, which is why MR says he is not telling the position he is looking at. I think this story has something in it and would sort of make sense.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Definitely an upgrade over Marosi, I know I’m not allowed to criticise Moore but I think he’s a decidedly average GK at this level, and we could do better. Fine if you’re a midtable side, but if we’ve got ambitions for higher I’d be looking next summer at least.
Yeah he started solidly, but when he came back after Covid he wasn't making the same decisions, and as a shot stopper there are certain areas you'd place your shot and have a fighting chance of a goal where he maybe should be saving them.

Got to hope it was Covid affecting him and he'll come back refreshed but... I'm not convinced by him, it must be said.

Sick Boy

I find that people are quite content with the idea we could just replace Moore easily quite odd. If we’re looking to strengthen, I’d strengthen every single one of the back five before Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed - bizarrely there have been posters on here suggesting Wilson should be first choice ahead of Moore.

CovLad94

I wouldn't mind too much if we received a fee for Moore, yes he's a decent goalkeepe, I do think he's better than Wilson. If we have to get a replacement keeper in who's experienced at this level then so be it.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Not sure how wise it would be selling Moore and replacing him with what I presume would be another loan.

He's a pretty solid keeper at this level and it'll be yet another position the recruitment staff will have to fill next summer.

I guess it depends on the fee received though.

KenilworthSkyBlue

If we could get £1m+ then do it, otherwise surely he has more value staying.

Agreed. It's probably near the bottom on the list of priorities so unless a sizeable fee came in the decision to sell Moore seems almost finicky - unless it's being instigated by the player and their agent of course.

The other issue is, and as I previously mentioned, if we replace Moore with yet another loan it's more work for the recruitment team in the summer to find a replacement. The amount of players already potentially needed is a slight concern.

MAFF

Robins deffo forcing Moore out. Why be no.2 here when he can be no.2 in the Premier League.

Users who are viewing this thread