Bottom budget (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Interesting reading from Robins this morning saying we have the bottom budget in the Champ but with Wycombe coming up we maybe 2nd bottom budget now. We have to be very shrewd with our signings to compete. So far so good...

Last edited:

mark82

I don't think that's a huge surprise to anyone. I don't think we'll be far off Rotherham though. All other clubs completely overspend in this division.

Kingokings204

I don’t disagree with what he has said but also this is what most managers would say so you don’t pay overinflated fees & signing on fees for players.

true. He is hardly going to go around saying we are now rich and can get anyone. We know that’s the case and tbh I think it’s factual. We will have the second lowest budget in the league. I don’t feel that a misleading statement.

Now the argument is can we stay in the league. That’s all it’s about this year. 17th I would take now. To go straight back down would be a killer. We have every chance of three worse teams in this league. Wycombe and one and Middlesbrough and brum and hull and Huddersfield. No reason we can’t compete with these.

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

Different world though. There are players in the championship with wages that match our whole squad put together.*

*made that up but the point stands

Of course. Champ is a different kettle of fish with players on abnormally high wages. But it doesn’t necessarily translate into good football teams. I’ve been watching a lot of the championship games on TV in the last month and I haven’t seen much to say we can’t compete up to mid table.

Mcbean

Of course. Champ is a different kettle of fish with players on abnormally high wages. But it doesn’t necessarily translate into good football teams. I’ve been watching a lot of the championship games on TV in the last month and I haven’t seen much to say we can’t compete up to mid table.
Agree with that - apart from Brentford they haven’t looked that sparkly just disappointing that we won’t see much live until next year

tisza

Championship wages are a mess. There will be a salary cap - just not in time for next season.

Our budget a good reason for getting in players early. Key could be quality of the inevitable loanees.

Also said this before there are some very ordinary managers in the Championship -Robbins gives us a little edge there too.

Sick Boy

Brentford have a great model. Buy low and young, develop and sell high. They’ve made a killing over the last few seasons. Although that might change if they get to the Prem...
Fair play to them, really hope they go up automatically.

tisza

Millwall are more an example really with small crowds and sit just outside the play offs
But highlights the immediate gap we have as they have a 17m wage bill.
Brentford a strange example for people to use as Benham has got over 70m in loans club owes him and a wage:ratio of around 135%. Also a wage bill close to 20 million.

Magwitch

From what I’ve read lately a number of championship clubs won’t have a budget, shit ain’t hit the fan yet for a lot of these clubs. We’re ok, got good players and slowly bringing in wish for scouted players

Specs WT-R75

I'm not so sure. In and around our budget will also be Luton and Barnsley should either of those pull of a great escape. Rotherham won't be light years away and Wycombe definitely below us. I guess it also depends if you include the transfer budget from player sales.

There's also no way to know what sort of situation Wigan are going to be in, and Covid in general could hurt a bunch of teams.

Our budget should also be lean with not a lot of deadwood on the books unlike many clubs.

I am quietly optimistic about staying up... announcing the Ricoh could be beneficial about now!

Magwitch

I agree lot of pessimism on here re next season but we won the league with the best record in division one for years all be it 10 games short. No fears for me that we will do okay.

covcity4life

true. He is hardly going to go around saying we are now rich and can get anyone. We know that’s the case and tbh I think it’s factual. We will have the second lowest budget in the league. I don’t feel that a misleading statement.

Now the argument is can we stay in the league. That’s all it’s about this year. 17th I would take now. To go straight back down would be a killer. We have every chance of three worse teams in this league. Wycombe and one and Middlesbrough and brum and hull and Huddersfield. No reason we can’t compete with these.

Middlesborough will be nowhere near relegation zone under Warnock

SlowerThanPlatt

I agree lot of pessimism on here re next season but we won the league with the best record in division one for years all be it 10 games short. No fears for me that we will do okay.

No that’s not true, we picked up 1.97 points a game, Luton last season picked up 2.04 and even Barnsley in second picked up the same as us.

Mcbean

With Liverpool loosing the other day did we end up with fewest lost games in the season ?

Rodders1

But highlights the immediate gap we have as they have a 17m wage bill.
Brentford a strange example for people to use as Benham has got over 70m in loans club owes him and a wage:ratio of around 135%. Also a wage bill close to 20 million.
Im sure I read somewhere they’re considering a wage cap of £18m for the championship... not sure if it needs a vote and when it’ll start from tho? Sure I didn’t dream this up!

Specs WT-R75

No that’s not true, we picked up 1.97 points a game, Luton last season picked up 2.04 and even Barnsley in second picked up the same as us.

We were averaging over 2.5 points for our last 13 games. Our average pts/game was only heading in one direction. I have no doubt that we would have ended up with more than 2.04 had we had the chance to finish the job...

Sky Blue Harry H

Im sure I read somewhere they’re considering a wage cap of £18m for the championship... not sure if it needs a vote and when it’ll start from tho? Sure I didn’t dream this up!
They won't be able to implement that - particularly with relegated teams from PL. Later on maybe, but existing contracts may make that impossible. Players on strike re wage restrictions?

tisza

Cap is coming just a matter of when.
There will be a mechanism for dealing with PL relegated clubs eg can't sign new players above a certain wage level.

Liquid Gold

Wycombe should take one of the spots, even though we shouldn't rule anybody out, and there may be a couple of point deductions this season. It really could be the perfect time to establish ourselves.

mark82

Wycombe should take one of the spots, even though we shouldn't rule anybody out, and there may be a couple of point deductions this season. It really could be the perfect time to establish ourselves.

People said that about Burton a few years back and they survived first year.

mark82

The one-offs aren't really a pointer to trends, though.

Although as some have said, who knows what budgets some clubs will *actually* have at the end of all this. If you were going to come up with restrictions, now's as good a time as it gets!

Just saying it shouldn't just be a given, though they will be heavy favourites to go down.

Fingers crossed for a couple of points deductions too.

Mcbean

Listened to the celebration interviews for Leeds getting back to the Prem after 16 years - gonna be some celebration if Coventry Could make that dizzy height In a few years time - such an unfashionable team from a unfashionable City - be as an outside chance as incester winning the prem

Mucca Mad Boys

I’m not kidding myself, next season will be a tough one. But, I’m confident Covid-19 will level the playing field for us and Rotherham in particular.

A lot of teams will be cutting back as a lot of Championship teams are already close to brinkmanship in the pursuit of their own Operation Premiership. The consensus is that, outside of the Top 6 in the Prem, all the teams will be impacted.

This obviously includes ourselves, but the Championship has given us a nice boon of added revenue from promotion and Championship TV and so on. Second, the impact of ending the season earlier and playing behind closed doors probably impacted a lot of teams more than ourselves.

Tough ask, but I’m confident we can take advantage of the current climate going into next season.

tisza

What's going to make it harder is if they keep the 5 subs rule. Then bigger budget clubs will hold a definite advantage

Users who are viewing this thread