Borrowing Money (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

A friend of mine borrowed his mate a couple of hundred quid to help him out. Told he will get it back as he was waiting for money to paid into his account etc. Heard he ripped him off and a few other people too, a really lousy bastard. That happened to me a few years back, took ages to get my cash back, felt like I'd been taken for a mug. Money can cause a lot of unwanted stress, you help someone out but some have no intention in paying back. If the person is struggling to pay back why not just say so, not do a sly trick and just ignore things. By the way my friend said the chap he lent money too ran off when confronted by him, which is even worse.

Nick

Administrator
Never really lent money from friends, the odd time when I haven't been to the cash point and know I'll be going there later.

It's a messy business when it comes to money isn't it.

Marty

I lent a 'mate' £100 once, he made up some bollocks about not getting his wages etc, and ended up never paying it back, haven't spoken to him in about 5 years now, I'm not bothered about the money as it's not a lot to me, it's the principal of it.

I don't lend or borrow a penny to anyone now.

Brighton Sky Blue

I paid £130 for tickets to Morecambe away for a ‘mate’ who said he’d give a lift to the Ricoh to get the coach up. He never showed up so at the last minute I paid for the train going up and a taxi back from the Ricoh. He called sporadically afterwards and every time I reminded him of the money he owed he hung up.

I don’t get it tbh

bringbackrattles

I paid £130 for tickets to Morecambe away for a ‘mate’ who said he’d give a lift to the Ricoh to get the coach up. He never showed up so at the last minute I paid for the train going up and a taxi back from the Ricoh. He called sporadically afterwards and every time I reminded him of the money he owed he hung up.

I don’t get it tbh
That is a downer and similar to what happened to me, you feel like a proper mug. In the end I had to threaten violence which was the last resort, funny how a smack in the mouth quickly gets your cash back !

bringbackrattles

Lol, mate I'm ridiculous.. My missus and I always used to fall out over money and my inability to give a shit about it... She just grew to accept that I'm a massive twat with the stuff
My son was on the verge of getting evicted from his flat just before the corona virus lockdown began. So I paid his rent debt off and the landlord gave him breathing space etc. Thanks dad for saving the day I'll pay you back. I'm still waiting !

skybluetony176

Only really ever lent money to one mate and it was when we were teenagers. It was a regular thing as he was always in and out of jobs and it was usually so we could go out on the lash. He never paid me back when he said he would but would always pay me back at some point and he had the uncanny knack of handing the money back just as I was short myself so it never bothered me.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Neither a borrower nor lender be

Learnt my lesson years ago a lad I used to hang around with started going out with a girl and would ring me up to come out with me and my girlfriend ( now wife ) we’d always meet in a bar in town. This one night he said they’d arranged to come out with us and would I lend him some money as they were skint . I lent him £50 we decided to go to a club
They were in the queue but just before we went in they decided they were going to get a curry and go home instead

Bumped into him a few times after that but never got me money back

fernandopartridge

I don't borrow money off friends or family, or certainly haven't since I was quite young where I might lend 20 nicker from my old man.

It's a messy business lending money, I think the underlying problem is the perceived loss of face for both parties, and that stops an open resolution to anything. I think there are many people who borrow money in good faith with the best of intentions, but can't repay when they said they were and the embarrassment of it just leads to them running away from the problem.

bringbackrattles

I was working this morning with the strong wind trying hard to shove me off the ladder. The customer said " mind how you go up there as it's blustery. "
When I'd finished I reminded her she owed from last time, so that was 2 cleans owing ok ? She went in her house and came out and said " can I owe you next clean, as she hadn't been to the bank yet. " I have to add I only started cleaning her windows again as she tried every trick in the book not to pay before, but as I cleaned next door she kept asking for me to do hers again.
Why do some people push their luck over money ? Odd behaviour !

Brighton Sky Blue

I was working this morning with the strong wind trying hard to shove me off the ladder. The customer said " mind how you go up there as it's blustery. "
When I'd finished I reminded her she owed from last time, so that was 2 cleans owing ok ? She went in her house and came out and said " can I owe you next clean, as she hadn't been to the bank yet. " I have to add I only started cleaning her windows again as she tried every trick in the book not to pay before, but as I cleaned next door she kept asking for me to do hers again.
Why do some people push their luck over money ? Odd behaviour !

Get the big dudes from Can't Pay We'll Take It Away on the case

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Lent him some money, I find it so annoying when people say I borrowed him some money but so many people do it
I just noticed that all over this thread. Thought it must be a Cov thing.

chiefdave

There's not many people I'd lend money to past lending someone a few quid on a night out.

Probably best to work on the principle that you aren't getting it back and then decide if you'd be happy to give that amount to the person.

pipkin73

I lent a friend over 3k to move out here as she did not want to leave her landlord out of pocket, i then gave them free accommodation for about 2 years before i caught her son stealing from me. Told her loads of times it was happening but she called me a liar before i caught him at it and proved he was a thief.
When my Mrs passed away he stole 300€ from me at my house, supposedly helping me get through my Mrs passing away. Since then i've been in the shit with money, with Covid i'm fucked, i've as a result asked her for some of the money back she owes me, all i ever here is " if i ever had it i would give it you, but i don't" but she afforded a massive tattoo that was about 400€ to cover her cellulite and is always out on the piss.
Wish i had a bad bone on me, but i don't. Needs sorting big time.
As it is i think i'm ready to move back to UK, giving it about 6 weeks, just to broke.

bringbackrattles

I lent a friend over 3k to move out here as she did not want to leave her landlord out of pocket, i then gave them free accommodation for about 2 years before i caught her son stealing from me. Told her loads of times it was happening but she called me a liar before i caught him at it and proved he was a thief.
When my Mrs passed away he stole 300€ from me at my house, supposedly helping me get through my Mrs passing away. Since then i've been in the shit with money, with Covid i'm fucked, i've as a result asked her for some of the money back she owes me, all i ever here is " if i ever had it i would give it you, but i don't" but she afforded a massive tattoo that was about 400€ to cover her cellulite and is always out on the piss.
As it is i think i'm ready to move back to UK, giving it about 6 weeks, just to broke.
That is a nightmare situation to say the least. Sounds like you need a fresh start back here in the UK ? You help a so called " friend" out and get shit on big time. When I lived with my ex missus her son was nicking money off her all the time, and his mates too I discovered. As he was my step son I had to step in to save him from getting a beating from an angry family he'd nicked cash from , only prevented that because I knew them well. But she protected him saying it was all lies etc, it wasn't he was a terrible thief. He had to disappear for years as so many people were looking for him. I sympathise with your predicament, and hope you get sorted soon.

pipkin73

Cheers mate. If I do have to come back to the UK I hope it's only temporary and will put my stuff in storage. Hope things pick up eventually and then come back out here. You sure that your step son never moved out here with me lol
That sounds awful and very much grooming, oh dear lmao

Tommo1993

“Neither a borrower, nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend”

Being made redundant when I was 20 turned me into a bit of a Scrooge, because it showed me how fast the stuff can go IF something goes wrong. I think over the last year or two I’ve loosened up a bit about it. As the annoying but true saying goes, ‘you only live once’.

Marty

How didn't you smash the little c**t all over?

skyblue1991

Anything from £100+ I would class as substantial.

Since I was working part time from 16 through a levels and university until now I think I have only ever asked from my parents about £200 in my first year at Uni when I hit my overdraft. I paid it back within two months.

Apart from that I don't borrow anything from friends or family. My view is if you can't afford it you don't buy it or you reassess your finances.

I would lend money to my family, my partner and my partners family as I know I will get it back. I wouldn't lend money to friends above the £100+ threshold. Its not like I don't trust them, its just harder to get back and you could lose touch or have a fall out.

If anybody asks I just say I don't have that amount.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

pipkin73

How didn't you smash the little c**t all over?
Got stopped by a friend and talked down. Can't really say much on here as to what I was about to do but they basically said is he worth going to jail for years for and they were right he is not. Robbed quite a few people now and it's coming his way but it's going to be done quietly and out of the way. Robbed a disabled woman for 150€ not long ago and I think that pushed people to act but like I said, quietly and out of the way.

bringbackrattles

Cheers mate. If I do have to come back to the UK I hope it's only temporary and will put my stuff in storage. Hope things pick up eventually and then come back out here. You sure that your step son never moved out here with me lol
That sounds awful and very much grooming, oh dear lmao
He was working for a family of travellers I heard, and ripped them off for a couple of grand. It was in Coventry but he was living with them so away from his mother's. So when he heard that they were going to chop him up and they would have, he vanished. I once got him a job to try and sort him out, all fine for a few months until he got caught nicking there !

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I think a lot of us have probably been in this situation, BBR. Many years ago, I worked for a brilliant company who installed fibre-optic cabling all over the country and also world-wide. They also set up city-wide security systems, so their engineers were bloody well paid. I was a lowly store keeper there, so probably on half their wages. Anyway, one of the engineers asked me one day if I could lend him £60 till pay day. It doesn't sound a huge amount, but to me it was a hefty chunk, 25 years ago. I was told by his work colleagues (other engineers) that he was a sod for borrowing, but I thought he was a decent bloke, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He left the company a few weeks later and I'm still waiting to see my money after all these years! :mad:

bringbackrattles

I think a lot of us have probably been in this situation, BBR. Many years ago, I worked for a brilliant company who installed fibre-optic cabling all over the country and also world-wide. They also set up city-wide security systems, so their engineers were bloody well paid. I was a lowly store keeper there, so probably on half their wages. Anyway, one of the engineers asked me one day if I could lend him £60 till pay day. It doesn't sound a huge amount, but to me it was a hefty chunk, 25 years ago. I was told by his work colleagues (other engineers) that he was a sod for borrowing, but I thought he was a decent bloke, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He left the company a few weeks later and I'm still waiting to see my money after all these years! :mad:
My thread Houch has shown that where money is concerned it can and does cause more harm than good often. I love helping people out when I can, but when you get taken for a soft touch you feel like a right mug. My friend who borrowed his so called mate money, and has no intention in paying back hence why he ran off, lost his wife not long ago so is really low at the moment, and the bloke who ripped him off knows this, which to me is downright wicked.

ccfc92

Just started a new job at a company. New lad started a week after me, privately messaged me on Whatsapp via our work's group chat asking for £10/15 til next Friday. Genuinely have no money to lend anyway, but turns out he messaged most people on the group chat, cheeky bugger.

fernandopartridge

Just started a new job at a company. New lad started a week after me, privately messaged me on Whatsapp via our work's group chat asking for £10/15 til next Friday. Genuinely have no money to lend anyway, but turns out he messaged most people on the group chat, cheeky bugger.

It is cheeky but you have to worry that the fella is absolutely skint

ccfc92

It is cheeky but you have to worry that the fella is absolutely skint

Not really, he's definitely on some sort of substances. It definitely wouldn't have gone on food, which is what he said it was for.

Him and his mum work here, we work in Bournemouth town centre and they both know the smack heads roaming around outside the office building.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread