Book Writing (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Hey guys,

Was just talking about this in another thread but guess we will leave that one for arguments and get down to business here.

I'm currently in the process of writing a book and wondered if any on here have an interest in such activity, or if anyone has written one before themselves.

I have a lot of stories about travel and relationships, the majority of which are incredibly funny, some very touching.

It started off like a bit of a memoir but I want to make it a fiction novel, which means going back to the drawing board using the above content as story material.

I would be delighted for any advice or good ideas which can help carry me forwards. Even if you are just an avid reader, your opinion would be greatly valued.

Open to any suggestions on nailing down a plot or topic a bit more, and also views on what people think they or others would like to read.

I plan to get it published so will happily give a mention in the 'credits' to people that want it at the end (if I deem it inspirational of course).

Thanks,

ESB1 (Now technically BromsgroveSB1)

NorthernWisdom

Plot it out first. Beginning, middle, end. Add the curves in between, add the chapter titles.

Then... cut it up and decide if you actually want the end at the end etc!

Plot some characterisation too.

Then write it sketchily. On that note, don't necessarily start writing at the beginning. It can be full of holes, but see if it works. Then cut it up, see what works best in what order, expand. If you haven't written anything before too, maybe go off at tangents and use the bits you haven't used as short stories, for practice.

I'd suggest joining a local creative writing group (there will be some), but Christ knows how they're functioning atm.

Oh and give drafts to people who will be harsh, don't be afraid of criticism as it's better in the long run than people sucking you off.

Just thoughts, not gospel.

hill83

This is something that interests me and I've always written short pieces. Never shown them to anyone though and I don't have the patience to stick at one thing for long enough.
My cousin is in the process of writing a novel at the moment.

djr8369

I am a reader but by no means a big writer but did have an interest in it for a while and dabbled a bit. One of the often cited books about writing is 'On Writing' by Stephen King. Lots of lesson to be learnt from Orwell too, there's a great essay by him called 'Why I Write'. You can buy it as a book and one of the other essays in it is called 'Politics and the English Language' which I recommend everyone to read.

I started a novel once based on the exercises in a book called 'No Plot, No Problem'. I found that a good process although it is counter to the advice of have a plot and fill in the details as is very free form. It suited me though. I found that as I wrote the plot formed in my mind anyway. One tip I think works well is just to get stuff down on the page and edit and refine it later. Many writers seem to preach that. Just get something done and do not not help up worrying about perfection.

A couple of general tips for anything - enjoy the process and repeating the process rather than focusing on the outcome and things happen by doing rather than planning and researching. In the internet era information overload is often a barrier to actually getting anything done.

Good luck.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Plot it out first. Beginning, middle, end. Add the curves in between, add the chapter titles.

Then... cut it up and decide if you actually want the end at the end etc!

Plot some characterisation too.

Then write it sketchily. On that note, don't necessarily start writing at the beginning. It can be full of holes, but see if it works. Then cut it up, see what works best in what order, expand. If you haven't written anything before too, maybe go off at tangents and use the bits you haven't used as short stories, for practice.

I'd suggest joining a local creative writing group (there will be some), but Christ knows how they're functioning atm.

Oh and give drafts to people who will be harsh, don't be afraid of criticism as it's better in the long run than people sucking you off.

Just thoughts, not gospel.

Some solid thoughts.

My plan was to plot the overall story and then fill it with small stories within which I have the content for.

Making a coherent and solid story is hard though.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

This is something that interests me and I've always written short pieces. Never shown them to anyone though and I don't have the patience to stick at one thing for long enough.
My cousin is in the process of writing a novel at the moment.

Get into it, I would right now.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I am a reader but by no means a big writer but did have an interest in it for a while and dabbled a bit. One of the often cited books about writing is 'On Writing' by Stephen King. Lots of lesson to be learnt from Orwell too, there's a great essay by him called 'Why I Write'. You can buy it as a book and one of the other essays in it is called 'Politics and the English Language' which I recommend everyone to read.

I started a novel once based on the exercises in a book called 'No Plot, No Problem'. I found that a good process although it is counter to the advice of have a plot and fill in the details as is very free form. It suited me though. I found that as I wrote the plot formed in my mind anyway. One tip I think works well is just to get stuff down on the page and edit and refine it later. Many writers seem to preach that. Just get something done and do not not help up worrying about perfection.

A couple of general tips for anything - enjoy the process and repeating the process rather than focusing on the outcome and things happen by doing rather than planning and researching. In the internet era information overload is often a barrier to actually getting anything done.

Good luck.

Appreciate the input very much.

Will try and enjoy it as much as I can!

shmmeee

I’ve thought about writing a novel before. Can’t get past the initial idea stage though.

One piece of advice I’ve seen a lot is to write for a given amount of time each day even if it’s crap. Just be disciplined. Worry about quality later on. It’s far easier to edit than to fill a blank page.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Houch on here has written a book on his childhood etc. I've read it and it's very good. As I write football articles for 2 magazines I too am going to write a book eventually. I've got plenty of material to write about and not just football. Good luck anyway.
I was just going to put my 10p's worth in, BBR. Thanks for the advert! LOL! But as BBR says, ESB1, I have written my autobiography and published it online. You may wonder what is so special about me that I wrote my story. Well, it's just that I had a really shitty childhood, brought up in care in the 1950's and 60's, from the age of about 3 until I was 15. Convent life, strict religious doctrine, beatings, stale and mouldy food that you would give away as pig swill. I wrote it on recommendation from my psychologist who I was seeing after a bout of depression when I was in my 40's.
If you want to have a go at writing, then I say go for it. It's great therapy. Can't give any tips because different genres require different advice. Just go for it. Change things around when you think you need to, but above all, just enjoy it! And as someone said earlier, you won't ever make money from it. I published mine back in 2004. I've sold a couple of hundred copies (inc. 3 copies to Coventry libraries). All I get is about 30p per copy which I get paid annually. Oh, and I'm just a couple of M5 junctions away from you, in Malvern!

Sky Blue Pete

I was just going to put my 10p's worth in, BBR. Thanks for the advert! LOL! But as BBR says, ESB1, I have written my autobiography and published it online. You may wonder what is so special about me that I wrote my story. Well, it's just that I had a really shitty childhood, brought up in care in the 1950's and 60's, from the age of about 3 until I was 15. Convent life, strict religious doctrine, beatings, stale and mouldy food that you would give away as pig swill. I wrote it on recommendation from my psychologist who I was seeing after a bout of depression when I was in my 40's.
If you want to have a go at writing, then I say go for it. It's great therapy. Can't give any tips because different genres require different advice. Just go for it. Change things around when you think you need to, but above all, just enjoy it! And as someone said earlier, you won't ever make money from it. I published mine back in 2004. I've sold a couple of hundred copies (inc. 3 copies to Coventry libraries). All I get is about 30p per copy which I get paid annually. Oh, and I'm just a couple of M5 junctions away from you, in Malvern!
Any link Houch? What’s it called?

bringbackrattles

Hey guys,

Was just talking about this in another thread but guess we will leave that one for arguments and get down to business here.

I'm currently in the process of writing a book and wondered if any on here have an interest in such activity, or if anyone has written one before themselves.

I have a lot of stories about travel and relationships, the majority of which are incredibly funny, some very touching.

It started off like a bit of a memoir but I want to make it a fiction novel, which means going back to the drawing board using the above content as story material.

I would be delighted for any advice or good ideas which can help carry me forwards. Even if you are just an avid reader, your opinion would be greatly valued.

Open to any suggestions on nailing down a plot or topic a bit more, and also views on what people think they or others would like to read.

I plan to get it published so will happily give a mention in the 'credits' to people that want it at the end (if I deem it inspirational of course).

Thanks,

ESB1 (Now technically BromsgroveSB1)
As you are going to write a book, I spotted a competition in the Daily Mirror yesterday. It's for budding crime writers or a fictional story, and a top prize of a grand and 250 quid for 2 runners up. Words up to 2,500 So it's a short story competition.
I only write true stories , but all types of writing is good for experience and learning new skills etc. If you're interested in having a go here's the info.
Email : [email protected]
Subject line : Short Story Competition
Closing date : May 30th
Says no more than 2,500 words and the story must be own work and unpublished.
It's judged by Val McDermid the top crime writer, so that's a clue as to what the story should be about, a bit of murder and suspense !

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
How’s the depression now? Did it help?
Briefly, and this really is brief! - I didn't know why I was feeling so down all the time. I couldn't keep a relationship going. I would shag anyone who came along, jeopardising my marriages and relationships. When I was 40, my mum died. I also found out on that very day that my eldest sister wasn't my "full" sister. She had a different dad to the rest of us. So much was going on with my head, I cracked up and went to my GP. He prescribed some strong medication and referred me to Gulson Road Hospital as an out-patient for nearly a year. I had a brilliant lady psychologist who pulled me through, realising that it was my childhood that I had never forgotten or got rid of mentally. She told me to write my feelings down in note form. I did, but eventually it grew and grew and I turned it round and made it into my autobiography. Best thing I ever did. Fantastic treatment mentally and I recommend it to anyone who is going through anything similar to what I did.

Sky Blue Pete

Briefly, and this really is brief! - I didn't know why I was feeling so down all the time. I couldn't keep a relationship going. I would shag anyone who came along, jeopardising my marriages and relationships. When I was 40, my mum died. I also found out on that very day that my eldest sister wasn't my "full" sister. She had a different dad to the rest of us. So much was going on with my head, I cracked up and went to my GP. He prescribed some strong medication and referred me to Gulson Road Hospital as an out-patient for nearly a year. I had a brilliant lady psychologist who pulled me through, realising that it was my childhood that I had never forgotten or got rid of mentally. She told me to write my feelings down in note form. I did, but eventually it grew and grew and I turned it round and made it into my autobiography. Best thing I ever did. Fantastic treatment mentally and I recommend it to anyone who is going through anything similar to what I did.
Want the long version now and that’s when you say and here’s the book!! Thanks mate that’s so open of you to share in that way

Gazolba

Hey guys,

<snip?

<snip>

There are tons of books on the art of writing.
They tell you all about character building, creating atmosphere, story lines etc.etc.
I suggest picking up a few and reading those first.
Your local library (if they are open) would be a good place to start.

Liquid Gold

2810a39d707bb3f81e3846f3bf3529e1.jpg

Covkid1968#

I’ve started a few books in my time.... always get halfway through and lose interest and then really struggle. But with this lockdown I’m more determined than ever to go for it and read a whole book

Flying Fokker

Hey... I missed this thread.

I’m in a void with my book...Fantasy.

Podcasts

The Creative Penn Joanne Penn. The expert self publisher. Over several platforms and a leaning towards travel as well. You’ll have to dig a bit because she separates websites and is currently unable to travel!

Helping Writers Become Authors. K.M. Welland.

The Self Publishing Podcast. Mark Dawson and.

the Story Grid podcast. Ok but do you need it?

The Eleventh Hour Podcast.

Penn has used scrivener. Velum grammarly(But now using a new grammarly).

Join a local writing group? Not for everybody.

JulianDarbyFTW

I've written the first draft of three novels, all 80,000 words or so. I set myself a target of 500 words per day and track it on a spreadsheet. Trouble I have is that I edit as I go, so it can take three or four hours to get 500 words that I'm happy with, and I find that it sucks the enjoyment out of it. And once I've finished, I cringe as I read it back, spotting all of the plot holes and story arcs that I forget to finish and characters that ceased to exist or changed names halfway through. That's why I've never done a second draft - I can't face reading my own bollocks, spotting where I've screwed up, and finding a way to fix things. That said, I'm planning novel number four as we speak, but I'm spending a little more time plotting this time around.

bringbackrattles

I don't know if you've heard of Geoff Thompson, the Coventry ex doorman ?
Well while labouring at a Coventry factory, he would spend his spare time writing about his experiences on the door of pubs and clubs, and add his time growing up in Walsgrave. I lived by him so knew him fairly well. Anyway he would just write it all down on paper mostly in pen, and not bother too much with grammar and punctuation etc. He littered it with swearing, and then sent it off to a publisher. First time it got rejected, but he persevered and it got accepted as it was strewn with poor spelling etc.
He went on to write many books, plays, and film scores, and spoke as a motivational speaker around the world.
I've talked to him and he told me and other budding writers don't worry at first about how your drafts look, its more about content. Just go for it !

Users who are viewing this thread