Book recommendations- linked to Cov (1 Viewer)

skyblueinswansea

Hi all, has anyone got any good football recommendations with links to Cov? Ex players autobiographies or history books you would recommend, i am need of some holiday reading.

Gray

The Smell of Football by Mick Rathbone is a good read.. tenuous link but I think he helped out in the training room at Cov few years back for a couple of months

usskyblue

Chapter 1: Corners

61yfPTbPr4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nick

Administrator

I still remember Big Ron promoting this at the Ricoh, was sat at a desk outside the city shop with nobody having a clue who he was when they went past!

ricohroar

If you are into reading about days gone by relating to football violence in Coventry? This is a story of a local Coventry fan with at least a chapter on CCFC but more for the fighting in the 80's than the football. I enjoyed it

Happy_Martian

Mick Quinn's autobiography is fun and telling of his time in Sky Blue.

And Craig Bellamy..... not read it, not recommending it. Just saying it's out there.

@Nick..... this website seems to be breaking links to the Amazon site. If you link to a sales page, the website is changing it to a [Media] tag so you can't see the link or the actual page. I've added 2 links to the page and both are not showing. Whereas if I remove the https://, the URL shows fine.

And if you want a good autobiography not football related, the script writer for Morecambe and Wise penned one and I have to say, it's one of the best I've read. Eddie Braben and "The Book Wot I Wrote". Classic comedy in book form.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyblueinswansea

Mick Quinn's autobiography is fun and telling of his time in Sky Blue.

www.amazon.co.uk/Pies-Life-Times-Mick-Quinn/dp/0753508036/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mick+quinn&qid=1595516082&sr=8-1

And Craig Bellamy..... not read it, not recommending it. Just saying it's out there.

www.amazon.co.uk/Craig-Bellamy-GoodFella-ebook/dp/B00D5FDNW4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=craig+bellamy&qid=1595516139&sr=8-1

@Nick..... this website seems to be breaking links to the Amazon site. If you link to a sales page, the website is changing it to a [Media] tag so you can't see the link or the actual page. I've added 2 links to the page and both are not showing. Whereas if I remove the https://, the URL shows fine.

The links have come over to me fine thanks, appreciate the recommendation. I cant bring myself to read bellend's book, but will take up the recomendation of Micky Quinn cheers

• Haha
Reactions: AOM

Grendel

Bruce buck wrote one a few years ago

Bugsy

4865be9329f6491fcd32ae94dbc08959.jpg

I’ve got a few of these for £10 inc postage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a game that was in my top 3 of all time loved every second of it.... PUSB

Kneeza

Staying Up is a very good read.
My favourite, though, is Miracle in Sky Blue. Still have the original copy me mam bought me way back then.

NortonSkyBlue

Has anybody got a definitive list of books about Coventry City? Not autobiographies.

I have 21 such books and wonder if there are others? The miracle in sky blue is a book that I hadn’t heard of until this thread.

Kneeza

Has anybody got a definitive list of books about Coventry City? Not autobiographies.

I have 21 such books and wonder if there are others? The miracle in sky blue is a book that I hadn’t heard of until this thread.
It's just a fairly small softback, cheaply produced to celebrate the journey to the top flight.
Just means an awful lot to me, and brings back so many fantastic memories every time I flick through it.
No idea if it is available anywhere - prob not - but grab it if you can.

shmmeee

Just checking in to see if we’ve got to the comedy puns yet?

No?

I had The Adventures of Huckerby Finn all ready to go :(

Last edited:

clarriebourton

It's just a fairly small softback, cheaply produced to celebrate the journey to the top flight.
Just means an awful lot to me, and brings back so many fantastic memories every time I flick through it.
No idea if it is available anywhere - prob not - but grab it if you can.

It was written by Marshall Stewart who was the football writer for the Coventry Standard in the 50s & 60s. I bought it outside Highbury on the day we played Arsenal for the first time in Div 1 (Sept 1967) for 3/6d I think. Marshall is still alive and lives in the Cotswolds and we are in regular contact.

clarriebourton

A couple worth getting hold of are Jim Holton’s biography Six Feet two, eyes of blue, which has a fair bit of City stuff. Also Green Shoots by Michael Walker, a story of Irish football which has a good chapter on Jackie Brown who played for City in the late 30s, left to join Brum controversially and played for Southern & Northern Ireland.

Irish Sky Blue

Staying Up is a very good read.
My favourite, though, is Miracle in Sky Blue. Still have the original copy me mam bought me way back then.
Miracle in Sky Blue, my first ever Coventry City book, still got my copy too, written by a guy called Marshall Stewart.

Kneeza

It was written by Marshall Stewart who was the football writer for the Coventry Standard in the 50s & 60s. I bought it outside Highbury on the day we played Arsenal for the first time in Div 1 (Sept 1967) for 3/6d I think. Marshall is still alive and lives in the Cotswolds and we are in regular contact.

Thanks Jim. Knew you'd know all about it. Next time you speak please tell him thanks!

Nick

Administrator
They did have some at the Book Farm in Astley, when it opens I will nip down to see what there is!

Nick

Administrator

If you are into reading about days gone by relating to football violence in Coventry? This is a story of a local Coventry fan with at least a chapter on CCFC but more for the fighting in the 80's than the football. I enjoyed it
This is free on Kindle unlimited, thanks very much will read it

Nick

Administrator

Im going to get this at some point to see if it says much about CCFC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread