Booing of team... some thoughts (1 Viewer)

gspotgaz

Something really bothered me about reaction of certain fans yesterday and the booing and abuse of team. What is this going to achieve?

We are 5 games into season with an almost entire new team. Some of the newbies are league 2 players whilst some appear better but yet to hit full stride and consistency (andreu, jones, mcnulty? Etc) . Let's support, encourage and be patient with the new team as I guarantee it'll get us an extra few points.

Let's remember it's a marathon not a sprint, if it's starts getting hateful and abusive this early in season don't underestimate the effect itll have.

I'd be happy if we were anywhere near the top 10 come January. It's going to be ugly almost every game but I honestly think we'll start to pick up form as season goes on.

clint van damme

Something really bothered me about reaction of certain fans yesterday and the booing and abuse of team. What is this going to achieve?

We are 5 games into season with an almost entire new team. Some of the newbies are league 2 players whilst some appear better but yet to hit full stride and consistency (andreu, jones, mcnulty? Etc) . Let's support, encourage and be patient with the new team as I guarantee it'll get us an extra few points.

Let's remember it's a marathon not a sprint, if it's starts getting hateful and abusive this early in season don't underestimate the effect itll have.

I'd be happy if we were anywhere near the top 10 come January. It's going to be ugly almost every game but I honestly think we'll start to pick up form as season goes on.

counter productive if you ask me. People will say fans pay their money they have a right to boo and it's probably a fair point but I don't think it helps our cause.

Otis

Pointless and counter-productive.

Understand it more to agree at the end of 90 mins, but then only collectively if the team have underperformed, but cannot understand the targeting of individuals during the game.

ccfcway

im proud to be part of the SBA, who are one of (if not THE) largest away followings in league two. This is an advantage to us.

It certainly isn't if we are booing and shouting at the players.

We are called "supporters" for a reason

Esoterica

It's fucking stupid booing the players when it's clearly the system and tactics that's wrong. But then that's exactly what most football fans are....fucking stupid. Booing players, getting hysterical at a train station, writing players off after 39 minutes of league football - bad week for Cov fans.

RFC

All supporters have their own opinions but I would never ever personally boo any CCFC player, we know Saturday was very poor and I've yet to meet anyone who witnessed it who enjoyed it! However I had the great pleasure & privilege of shaking hands with our MOTM as he came off the pitch, well done Lee Burge.

steve82

Beat me to it.... was just about to start of this. Well done for starting it.

Embarrassing scenes yesterday at the final whistle. 2 games in we're wrapping the league up by Christmas, another 3 games later and a idiotic section of the fans start booing the players off and calling them wankers telling them to fuck off! The worse thing is the sheep that followed that initially started to applaud them players but then changed there applause to gestures to the players who promptly walk off down the tunnel.

Yes the amazing number of 1443 traveling fans yesterday deserved the win but to end it this way is very very wrong.

It's this section of morons are the ones who will derail this season. We're 5 games in! Yes we're all frustrated with the last 3 games and the lack of goals, and performances of a few players we'd hope would have a greater impact. Calling them wankers and telling them to fuck off is really gonna change this ain't it!

Marc McNulty will really draw confidence from that support he received, it's clear he's going through a dry spell. Another day and hopefully he bags 3 goals and he's the next best thing.
Mark Robins was billed all summer as the only man and pivotal to any promotion challenge, now he's labelled clueless.

I sometimes wonder what's more rotten the club or elements of our fan base. Support them or simply don't bother

sparky

People who abuse or boo there supported teams players I find dumb, what do you gain from doing it?
You pay all that money to follow a team and not be positive or cheer them on to do well even though there having a stinker you stick by them Support them.
Boo the ref or the opposite team by all means it creates the atmosphere and will to win but not your own players even if they have been shit I think them as players know if they've had a bad game they don't need some dick abusing them shooting there confidence down futher, especially blokes old enough to be there dad or grandad.

Adge

People who abuse or boo there supported teams players I find dumb, what do you gain from doing it?
You pay all that money to follow a team and not be positive or cheer them on to do well even though there having a stinker you stick by them Support them.
Boo the ref or the opposite team by all means it creates the atmosphere and will to win but not your own players even if they have been shit I think them as players know if they've had a bad game they don't need some dick abusing them shooting there confidence down futher, especially blokes old enough to be there dad or grandad.
Boo the Ref the most neutral person on the pitch?:emoji_thinking:
While I can agree that in yesterday's case booing is counterproductive, I struggle with people who say "I will never boo a player in a Coventry shirt". So last years jokers then didn't deserve to be booed? Too right they did-after going down with a whimper and not giving a crap and lets not forget that some of them are still here.

oucho

You assume that those booing were thinking they were being constructive by doing so (I base this from the "what's the point" comments challenging such behaviour). There was no 'constructive' point. The point was to let off some steam and show the players that the fans felt frustration at being unable to beat the team who were bottom of L2 and were down to 10 men; also the frustration of bringing nearly 1500 to a game and putting on a crap performance. I didn't boo but many around me did, and from the stuff coming out of their mouths I can tell you that this was their motivation.

Chip Batch

Boo the Ref the most neutral person on the pitch?:emoji_thinking:
While I can agree that in yesterday's case booing is counterproductive, I struggle with people who say "I will never boo a player in a Coventry shirt". So last years jokers then didn't deserve to be booed? Too right they did-after going down with a whimper and not giving a crap and lets not forget that some of them are still here.

It didn't seem like lack of effort last season. The players just weren't good enough and having the crap start and then Russell Slade as manager didn't help.

Adge

It didn't seem like lack of effort last season. The players just weren't good enough and having the crap start and then Russell Slade as manager didn't help.
No, I seen players not trying and not bothered. It is true that most of them were not up to the job though. Performances at Oxford,Cambridge,Bristol Rovers,Northampton etc which I was at, I seen players pulling out of challenges which is conning the fans that have travelled to support. Ask most who attended them games and you will get the same response. You will of course get the few that will clap any old crap and salute "their heroes". That's their prerogative.

chiefdave

I'm sure we've all booed, or at least had a good moan, at the some point. Its only natural with all the frustrations we've had over the year. But to be calling players wankers and booing them 5 games in is ridiculous.

Maybe if there was a player that consistently wasn't trying they'd deserve it but mainly you're booing league 2 players for not being good enough. Doubt when any of them were dreaming of being pro footballers they were thinking of playing for us in L2 away to Chesterfield.

rd45

I was surprised by it tbh. Support had been fairly loud & solid where we were, until the final whistle. Don't know where it all came from. Ok it was a frustrating game but nowhere near the scale of Oxford or Cambridge last season.

How badly do we need a win now though. Would calm some fans down as well as the players.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Cov fans have always been fickle haven't they , Wembley , Wembley, need I say any more !!!

sparky

Adge il never boo a Coventry player il probably moan, shake my head and groan to show fustration when simple passes get misplaced but I'll never boo.

I used to boo at the wrestling though when I were about 8 or 9 years old if that helps.

Adge

Adge il never boo a Coventry player il probably moan, shake my head and groan to show fustration when simple passes get misplaced but I'll never boo.

I used to boo at the wrestling though when I were about 8 or 9 years old if that helps.
Yeah it does! Giant Haystacks I would boo all the time and applaud Big Daddy. Altogether now "Easy, Easy, Easy!":emoji_smile:

johnwillomagic

Hmm I've never booed but was bloody close at Cambridge last year I tell thee. The most annoying thing is the lack of urgency, pace,fight that I struggle with. Against Newport we were so one paced and did not seem to step it up after going a goal behind. I think a bit of increase tempo to save or win a game sometimes seems lacking in our team in recent seasins...not sure why.

Having said all this think counter productive to boo but can completely understand those that do at times. I think booing should only be at end of match not during really!

Cov kid 55

Yes, we just weren't equipped to compete last season, too young and inexperienced/lightweight. Blame poor recruitment which left us short.

Cov kid 55

I was embarrassed at Grimsby because we were so over the top on the back of two wins, and embarrassed at Chesterfield to see the abuse after a 0-0 draw. How can anyone think it does any good? Why do the people who spit out the venomous abuse come. How about supporting the team through thick and thin? - Ok, thin and thin!!

Liquid Gold

Support the team no matter what through 90 minutes, don't get on players backs if they're making mistakes and be as loud as possible.

After the full time whistle though if a performance was shit then the players should know about it.

SkyblueBazza

counter productive if you ask me. People will say fans pay their money they have a right to boo and it's probably a fair point but I don't think it helps our cause.
I feel very strongly that it doesn't help. Though the right to complain is defendable...its just how you do it.
If you order food from the menu in a restaurant & it's not right...do you have a quiet word with the waiter (/ess) or throw it up the wall & shout abusively? Sadly, for some the latter appears preferred...they are probably the more eager boo-ers of the team too

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

singers_pore

I'm a ST holder at LA Galaxy and I have to say that the lack of passion is awful. I much prefer being among Cov fans. Yes we are over optimistic after 2 wins and boo after a series of bad performances. But that simply tells the players how much we care. Far better than the plastic artificial atmosphere you get in the MLS.

Irish Sky Blue

I agree about the booing. Everyone in the away end wanted the team to play well and hopefully win, booing and hurling abuse can only help the opposite to happen.
Also agree with the comment above. I don't think last season's relegation was down to lack of effort but due to the fact that some players and some managers weren't good enough.
Interesting to note that last season's team, bad as they were, played by my reckoning, 6 games against League two opposition winning 5 and drawing once.

Warwickhunt

I'm a ST holder at LA Galaxy and I have to say that the lack of passion is awful. I much prefer being among Cov fans. Yes we are over optimistic after 2 wins and boo after a series of bad performances. But that simply tells the players how much we care. Far better than the plastic artificial atmosphere you get in the MLS.
The yanks would make booing an advantage and have the players dressed up as a villain every game LOL

robbiekeane

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN

covcity4life

way to soon to boo. its only just turned september and we are 10th. you would expect team to get better from now on not worse.

better days

Some football fans are ridiculously fickle
If Vincenti's goal hadn't been disallowed we'd all have been cheering the team to the rafters
I thought Chesterfield were decent and unusually for a League 2 team tried to play football
McNulty made a couple of bad misses but the keeper pulled off a great save to deny him a terrific goal
We'd have lost that game last year and Willis would not made that last minute tackle

steve82

Some football fans are ridiculously fickle
If Vincenti's goal hadn't been disallowed we'd all have been cheering the team to the rafters
I thought Chesterfield were decent and unusually for a League 2 team tried to play football
McNulty made a couple of bad misses but the keeper pulled off a great save to deny him a terrific goal
We'd have lost that game last year and Willis would not made that last minute tackle

Some good points but it was stokes who made the last minute tackle.
But your point stands, heads would of dropped and he'd of scored last year

Users who are viewing this thread