Bomb squad (1 Viewer)

Porkchophill

So apart from a rejuvenated Jordan Clarke that seems to have grafted his way back and reinvented himself as a footballer who still thinks the bomb squad was a bad idea and how many of them would get into the current first team

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I think SP got it right with most of them. I still think McSheffrey would add value to this squad and SP perhaps it wrong where he was concerned - would still like to see him in a Cov shirt and think he got a bit of an unceremonious and low key send off last year.

ccfc_Tom

I think SP got it right with most of them. I still think McSheffrey would add value to this squad and SP perhaps it wrong where he was concerned - would still like to see him in a Cov shirt and think he got a bit of an unceremonious and low key send off last year.
treated poorly but he had definitely gone shite. I'd have back if was a tiny wage, just to have another cov lad in the first team squad.

Porkchophill

I agree that he should maybe of had a bit more of a deal of him leaving but if he wasn't from cov we wouldn't of second thought it

pusbccfc

Sheff can't get in a league 2 team.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Turned out to be a quality piece of management didn't it? Well done SP. Its great to have a Manager who isn't afraid to make BIG decisions....and this was a massive decision at the start of his tenure....excellent.

Also, just for "compare & contrast" purposes, here is the very first "bomb squad" thread.....

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/32758-The-Bomb-Squad?highlight=bomb+squad

....Humble pie for a few me thinks....:)

fernandopartridge

Turned out to be a quality piece of management didn't it? Well done SP. Its great to have a Manager who isn't afraid to make BIG decisions....and this was a massive decision at the start of his tenure....excellent.

Also, just for "compare & contrast" purposes, here is the very first "bomb squad" thread.....

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/32758-The-Bomb-Squad?highlight=bomb+squad

....Humble pie for a few me thinks....:)

It's that sort of clear sighted thinking that has been needed since the Strachan days. We've carried a bloated squad for a long time. Perhaps the club would be in a much better position if this had happened earlier.

ricohman

I dont think it was a mistake to let any of them go, well maybe elliot but thats it. At the time i was worried but these young guns wouldnt of had a sniff otherwise.

lordsummerisle

The hard nosed approach was a disaster under McAllister, as was the bringing through the youth. I think we had one of the worst runs in our history. No one would argue with bombing out Malaga who refused to go on loan, but the others have tried their best even if the quality has been wanting, and in Bells case a terrible run of injuries. If your boss treats your mates like a twat, and tries to rule by fear, the result is often disaster. Firm but fair works not bloody mindedness.

Porkchophill

It's very easy for young players to pick up old habits this move sent out a clear message that coasting won't be tolerated strong leadership and a great crop of young players we've gone from relegation fodder to promotion contenders

shmmeee

McSheffrey was key to the whole culture change IMO. Cov lad or not, he had the wrong attitude.

covcity4life

AHAH at people going mad about the bomb squad earlier this season

edge is the best CB we have!
mcsheffrey can still do a job in league 1
we are lacking in midfield,we need jennings

well done SP again

as for the actul question lol, i wouldnt have minded edge as CB backup,but this urqhart is meant to be something special so i hear.

rest i am happy with.

shmmeee

AHAH at people going mad about the bomb squad earlier this season

edge is the best CB we have!
mcsheffrey can still do a job in league 1
we are lacking in midfield,we need jennings

well done SP again

as for the actul question lol, i wouldnt have minded edge as CB backup,but this urqhart is meant to be something special so i hear.

rest i am happy with.

I don't think its a coincidence they were (along with Clarke) the Twitter crew, I think Pressley values attitude over ability when building the squad and it's paying off.

covcity4life

I don't think its a coincidence they were (along with Clarke) the Twitter crew, I think Pressley values attitude over ability when building the squad and it's paying off.

never thought about it like that

there are still some lads on twitter but they seem less annoying this season i must say.

fernandopartridge

Thomas, Christie and Adams are in the Twitter crew although perhaps post from a different perspective.

jesus-wept

That is a jest reference McSheffrey surely. Had I been manager he would have walked back to Coventry after THAT last ditch pathetic free-kick at Crewe. Playing at Chesterfield, with due respect to them, when at 28/29 and should be in his prime tells all.

torchomatic

Although I've been a big fan of SP since his reign here began I thought the Bomb Squad thing was a bit silly. I didn't think our young squad could cope and with the added problems off the field thought we might struggle. How wrong I was; both SP and the team have been superb.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Well done........ Steve Waggott :whistle: ;)

No, well done them both S it's paid off.

Edge has moved on and seems to be enjoying his football again (scored 2 more goals for Bury than he did for us), Jennings took his time but found a club in the end, Malaga was never getting near our first team, and sometimes even our reserves, and is probably working in a a bar in France or something now ;)

Sheff had to go. Without a doubt. No way he was staying for another year. Such a waste of what used to be talent

torchomatic

Where did Jennings go in the end?

torchomatic

I would have kept Edje. Probs would have given Sheffers another chance too, smaller wages and he would have to earn his place in the team rather than it being handed to him, but apart from that the rest of them im not bothered about. Cameron was too inconsistent, Jenno was woeful towards the end of the season, don't even get me started on Dunn ;) Most of the decisions were right, but the squad is in good shape atm so I don't blame SP at all

Nick

Administrator
It just shows that not many have gone onto playing first team football at a higher level have they?

fernandopartridge

I would have kept Edje. Probs would have given Sheffers another chance too, smaller wages and he would have to earn his place in the team rather than it being handed to him, but apart from that the rest of them im not bothered about. Cameron was too inconsistent, Jenno was woeful towards the end of the season, don't even get me started on Dunn ;) Most of the decisions were right, but the squad is in good shape atm so I don't blame SP at all

Edje was / is dreadful. Have a look at Bury's defensive record for evidence.

Gint11

Completely disagree with you. I cant even see where your coming from. McSheffrey has had a fantastic career but he is finished at the level we want. SP wants dynamic and fast, high pressing etc. Mscheffrey is past it. Just because hes a cov kid doesnt make a difference to winning and losing, its just sentiment. He made absolutely the right decision on all of them. I disagreed on him bring JClarke back in at the time but hes proved me wrong.

torchomatic

Reluctantly agree. McSheff was a favourite of mine for years but he'd lost it, even at our level. A flash of brilliance every now and then wasn't enough. His consistency and his legs had both deserted him. Still love him though.

Completely disagree with you. I cant even see where your coming from. McSheffrey has had a fantastic career but he is finished at the level we want. SP wants dynamic and fast, high pressing etc. Mscheffrey is past it. Just because hes a cov kid doesnt make a difference to winning and losing, its just sentiment. He made absolutely the right decision on all of them. I disagreed on him bring JClarke back in at the time but hes proved me wrong.

ajsccfc

I didn't like the idea of completely excluding players as injuries could have ballsed us up. Obviously it's ended up working out alright, which is why the FA overlooked me in favour of Fabio Capello that time.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I didn't like the idea of completely excluding players as injuries could have ballsed us up. Obviously it's ended up working out alright, which is why the FA overlooked me in favour of Fabio Capello that time.

.I thought it was down to your excessive salary demands to be fair...

PVA

Obviously in hind sight it looks like an excellent decision.

However SP has said himself he didn't expect us to be doing this well, and we are yet to be hit with an injury crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread