Bohemian rhapsody ( movie) (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Went to see it today, not sure of the timeline of the events in and around the film but the last 20 minutes or so are brilliant

Last edited:

larry_david

Yer think certain parts are changed for the film. Don't think he told them about his illness until about 2 years after live aid but even so, great film. The live aid scene at the end I forgot I was watching actors

Sky_Blue_Daz

Oh aye and that Pete bloke was a snake

Terry Gibson's perm

If you go on YouTube and type it in there is a spoiler type thing that changes the dates.

I was a little disappointed with it but had built it up in my head

Sick Boy

I saw it last week an enjoyed it a lot more than what I thought. It was mostly well done but not sure about changing someone's timeline/life to that extent to suit the plot of the film.

I'm glad that there's been a resurgence in people listening to Queen, he was really the best frontman in history.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Went to see it on Friday - thoroughly enjoyed it and would happily see it again. Not too worried about poetic licence on a few things, it is entertainment not a documentary.

Got to agree Mercury was the best front man

rob9872

Don't know how accurate it is, but apparently Brian May wanted Freddie's death much earlier in the film as he said it was only the half way point for the band. Bollocks! The others are talented, but still nothing without Freddie. I also liked Adam Lambert as his replacement, great showman that was needed and terrific voice, but it was still Freddie's music they were playing. As usual just May being up himself (if true of course lol).

scottccfc

as someone whose knowledge of queen is the music and only knowing Freddie had died too soon, I really enjoyed the film and the actor who played Freddie, was immense.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't think we'll get a true docu-drama on Freddie's life/Queen as a whole until more of them have passed away.

As for the Brian May thing about it only being the halfway point of the band, I've never really considered them Queen not just without Freddie but with John as well. He may have been the quiet one but he was as much a part of the whole thing. Now it's only half the band and I consider the to be "Que"

Otis

I don't think we'll get a true docu-drama on Freddie's life/Queen as a whole until more of them have passed away.

As for the Brian May thing about it only being the halfway point of the band, I've never really considered them Queen not just without Freddie but with John as well. He may have been the quiet one but he was as much a part of the whole thing. Now it's only half the band and I consider the to be "Que"
John Deacon's cousin used to work at Mattersons in Coventry city centre.

Sick Boy

I was relistening to Wembley 86 the other day as some of basslines wereally superb, he has never got the recognition he deserved.

Captain Dart

Enjoyable but there were a some bits that were not the true story.
Also it struck me that John Deacon may have been a great bassist but had terrible taste in hairstyles.

Adge

Was there a better live performance than the 20 minutes of Queen at Live Aid when Freddie had the whole stadium in the palm of his hand? I’m struggling to think of one....

Sky_Blue_Daz

Was there a better live performance than the 20 minutes of Queen at Live Aid when Freddie had the whole stadium in the palm of his hand? I’m struggling to think of one....
Apart from Springsteen’s half time show at the Super Bowl probably not

bezzer

I went to see this last night and was very impressed with it. I hadn't realised Freddie had ditched the band when he went solo, nor did I know they hadn't played together for so long prior to Live Aid.

When we got home I put the Queen set at Live Aid on the box. I know the film didn't do the complete set, but what they did was fantastic. All 4 actors had the musicians down to a tee. Freddie strutting across the stage, May's stance when he's doing a solo, Deacon's slightly awkward foot tapping and Taylor's enthusiasm.

Great film.

One last thing, I didn't recognise Mike Myers at all! Great Make-up.

fellatio_Martinez

We'll never see audiences like that again. That level of engagement isn't possible when half of the crowd are on snapchat.

Sky_Blue_Daz

giphy.gif
I went to see this last night and was very impressed with it. I hadn't realised Freddie had ditched the band when he went solo, nor did I know they hadn't played together for so long prior to Live Aid.

When we got home I put the Queen set at Live Aid on the box. I know the film didn't do the complete set, but what they did was fantastic. All 4 actors had the musicians down to a tee. Freddie strutting across the stage, May's stance when he's doing a solo, Deacon's slightly awkward foot tapping and Taylor's enthusiasm.

Great film.

One last thing, I didn't recognise Mike Myers at all! Great Make-up.
Loved his “ no teenager will headbang in his car to this “ line

fellatio_Martinez

Saw this tonight. It was enjoyable but I'd have liked the film to have gone into the later years of Freddie's life. The way it ended at Live Aid made it feel like 3/4 of a film. Did they run out of money creating all that CGI?

Captain Dart

Saw this tonight. It was enjoyable but I'd have liked the film to have gone into the later years of Freddie's life. The way it ended at Live Aid made it feel like 3/4 of a film. Did they run out of money creating all that CGI?
Plenty of documentrys on youTube covering his later years & illness.

bezzer

My favourite lines from the film were when the band were having tea at Freddie's parents. Roger Taylor is sat next to Freddie's younger sister and turns to her and asks "What are you doing tonight" Her reply "Homework"
A real laugh out loud moment :emoji_laughing:

Captain Dart

There's plenty covering Queens early years and Live Aid too so whatever vague point you're trying to make isn't valid.

They missed out a huge part of the story. Unless there's a sequel in the works...

The movie was a positive story deliberately ending on a high note, no sequel in the works.

fellatio_Martinez

The movie was a positive story deliberately ending on a high note, no sequel in the works.

The movie completely twisted the story. Freddie didn't even know he had aids until 87 which was two years after Live Aid yet the film made Freddie's AIDS as the whole motive behind the show.

That isn't positive, it's totally rewriting history to fit a Hollywood script writers formula.

I was taking the piss about the sequel.

Otis

Reviews are very mixed. Rating of just 49% on Metacritic.

I guess if you're a fan though you're going to really enjoy it.

Adge

Don’t bother with the reviews-make your own judgement. :emoji_thumbsup:

Otis

Don’t bother with the reviews-make your own judgement. :emoji_thumbsup:
Thing is, the people who are going are fans, or at least those who like some Queen stuff.

The critics are looking at it from a filmatic point of view.

fellatio_Martinez

Thing is, the people who are going are fans, or at least those who like some Queen stuff.

The critics are looking at it from a filmatic point of view.

The big fans have issues with the timeline and complete changing of elements of the story and critics see it as paint by numbers.

I'm a casual fan and thought as entertainment it was great mainly due to the portrayal of Freddie Mercury by Rami Malek. It is truly special.

Otis

The big fans have issues with the timeline and complete changing of elements of the story and critics see it as paint by numbers.

I'm a casual fan and thought as entertainment it was great mainly due to the portrayal of Freddie Mercury by Rami Malek. It is truly special.
Not sure I like Queen enough to want to see it.

Used to like them, but then punk came along and changed my perception.

Still like some of their stuff, mind.

bezzer

8.4/10 on IMDB.

But as has already been said, don't rely on reviews, go and see it for yourself.

Otis

Surely that goes for any genre of film. If a horror film gets 95% approval or 9 out of 10, if you don't like horror films you're not going to see it!
Not quite. This is specifically about one single band and of course horror has many genres within its own genre (slasher, ghost story, vampire, zombie, Hostel/Saw type hostage/torture etc). I know people who like psychological chillers, but thoroughly dislike slasher movies.

I recall Mark Kermode saying he didn't like motor racing at all, but that he really loved the film Senna.

Sometimes you can like a film because it has a great script, top performances, great cinematography, or a great director.

With this I am guessing that you need to like Queen.

I'm sure there are films though about bands and singers who I don't care for much at all, but where the film about them is really good anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread