Bobby Gould (1 Viewer)

Delboycov

This still rankles as a particular low point for this forum - Sillett the 'stooge'

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/13703-Snoz-sell-out?highlight=snoz

Still stand by my opinion in that thread that Sillett was naive in getting involved in the off field activities he claimed not to get involved in. Just because the man is a true CCFC legend doesn't mean he should be above criticism if people feel that's appropriate. Same with Gould...just because of his Coventry connections and the players he brought to the club it shouldn't mean people should ignore him admitting to having a bigger affinity to another club.

torchomatic

M&B Stand

.....with a bigger "affinity" to AFC Wimbledon than Coventry City though.

I must've missed that comment, he always refers to Coventry as his club. Of course he's gonna have great affinity with Wimbledon, he won the cup with them against the odds.

He's a bit of a character, not everyone's cup of tea I grant you. But I see him as one of us.

NorthernWisdom

Hmm, was Gould as bad second time around as claimed on this thread?

Bearing in mind the Don Howe era sticks in my mind for all the wrong reasons, and we were certs to go down the season after (only stayed up because Luton were *that* bad!) he got us scoring goals, made us fun to watch again.

NorthernWisdom

Oh, and he was on CWR soon after we moved to Northampton.

Clearly anybody here saying he doesn't have passion for our club never heard him then, the kind of interview that'd move you to walk on hot broken glass for us.

fernandopartridge

Hmm, was Gould as bad second time around as claimed on this thread?

Bearing in mind the Don Howe era sticks in my mind for all the wrong reasons, and we were certs to go down the season after (only stayed up because Luton were *that* bad!) he got us scoring goals, made us fun to watch again.

And if he didn't have to sell his best players he may have even achieved a UEFA cup spot.

torchomatic

I remember hearing he'd resigned in the dressing room at QPR. Me and my mate had gone to see Queen Of The South and we heard on 606 on the way back. I like Bobby v much, but he was annoying last night.

M&B Stand

Regarding so called shit foot, we would finish games with Ndlovu, Quinn, Williams & Gallacher up front and dick teams like Liverpool & Villa.
I suppose some people long for a return of the days of Boothroyd Dowie, Coleman and Reid.

He also has no time at all for Bryan Richardson.

torchomatic

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I spoke to Bobby Gould near far Gosford park before important Coventry v Wimbledon game in 99.
He did not explicitly say who he was supporting but by his manner, it was clear to me his heart was with Coventry.

I love his down to earth articles in the Coventry telegraph. Was he a great manager,no. He had some good points but his emotions took over too much.

He is an emotional and passionate man. I applaud him and I definitely consider him one of us. Went to the same school too.

Grendel

Terry Gibson, Stuart Pearce, if it wasnt for Bobby Goulds signings we would never have won the FA Cup, Coventry City fans should always be grateful for that

Without Keith Houchen we'd have been knocked out well before the final.

Grendel

Here was me thinking footy was a team sport.. :whistle:

It is but we could have had alternate players to replace those that Gould signed. Also Regis particularly and also Bennett were a million times more effective under Sillett than Gould. Read what Regis says about the influence Sillett had on him.

Fact is Sillett was a hugely underrated figure. He liked to play the joker but actually was a shrewd tactician. Gould was a tub thumping chest out warhorse from a pre-historic age.

Two facts are clear

Without Sillett we would never have won the cup

Without an £80,000 signing of a 3rd division journeyman from Scunthope we wouldn't even have got past round 4.

ohitsaidwalker king power

It is but we could have had alternate players to replace those that Gould signed. Also Regis particularly and also Bennett were a million times more effective under Sillett than Gould. Read what Regis says about the influence Sillett had on him.

Fact is Sillett was a hugely underrated figure. He liked to play the joker but actually was a shrewd tactician. Gould was a tub thumping chest out warhorse from a pre-historic age.

Two facts are clear

Without Sillett we would never have won the cup

Without an £80,000 signing of a 3rd division journeyman from Scunthope we wouldn't even have got past round 4.

Its all hypothetical G- and subject to good old football debate(how refeshing)... ultimately only one fact- we will never ever know?

Users who are viewing this thread